“The Brown Room is a Must!”
Review of Congress Hall

Congress Hall
Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Very nice bar and lounge in the Congress Hall Hotel. We had drinks before dinner and enjoyed the atmosphere very much. The drinks were excellent, bartenders attentive and bar menu good to satisfy that craving before dinner. Would definitely return.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank mbeekerp
Write a ReviewReviews (1,210)

Reviewed 23 August 2014

Congress Hall is a very special place for my family. We have been coming many years and love the history of the hotel, the old slanted floors, and just how beautiful and charming the spot is. On our past stay this week we noticed a few things that could use improvements. If they are going to charge the rates that they charge, they need to provide a level of service to match it. 1) They are stingy with water. They give you 2 at check in and none for the rest of the week. Not even one little bottle with their advertised turn down service 2) You still have to buy beach tags even when staying at the hotel!! Come on!! They can't strike any kind of deal & build it into the already hefty rate?? 3) During the time that maids are cleaning, the floors have garbage piled sky high everywhere. I am talking a 6 hour stretch of time. The beach was the same way. Employees sat laughing in their chairs with heaps and heaps of balled up sandy towels in front of them.
The owners of Congress Hall should visit any Four Seasons and just take note on how they can step things up. Just because you have a gorgeous spot doesn't mean you should slack off!

6  Thank E4388
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We spent four days and nights at the Congress Hall Hotel for a family reunion in August. Tragically, during the reunion a family member died suddenly in California and some of us had to immediately leave Cape May and head across the country. The staff at Congress Hall could not have been nicer or more more helpful, caring and compassionate. They went above and beyond and even made a private room available to our family so we could talk and be together without interruption. I am so thankful for the gracious way they reached out to us. The hotel itself is beautiful, comfortable, a real treasure. And the Blue Pig Tavern gets very high marks for helping out our family. Thank you!

1  Thank JKWilson195
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Definitely a unique place, with lots of history. We had a room with a balcony. Frankly, the cost was ridiculously high for what you get and I would skip the balacony if we ever stay there again (but, I suppose it is a question of "supply and demand"). Small room, with the usual amenities at best. In addition, we are not fans of carpet in a room, or of having actual keys (even though there is a different room number on the key) The hotel itself is quite a structure - very well maintained, etc. The pool is quite small, which is strange considering the large area they have available - they really could create beautiful pool "complex"). Lots and lots of families with kids ranging from ages 4 - early teens, so snagging 3 or 4 lounge chairs can be daunting, if not impossible. There is a small, separate pool for "adults," although that does not mean it is just "adults" around that pool, just that only "adults" are allowed in the pool.

For a couple, I would try one of the smaller properties owned by the group. We walked past the Virginia, which is owned by the same group. As you are in Cape May there is no shortage of great little B&B type properties.

Congress hall's location is great. The beach is a across the street (although it is a bit of a walk to get there) and the walking/shopping area downtown is just 30 seconds from the front door.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stephen M
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I arrived on August 10th we where suppose to stay 3 nights. I previously had surgery and thought I would be up for the vacation. I got sick the first night. I tried to stick it out but by lunch time the next day I knew I had to go home. I told the front desk my situation and they credited me all but a day and a half. The credit is good for our next stay. I was very grateful they could of kept it all. My husband and I have been going to Congress Hall and The Star Inn for many years now. Actually I won't stay any place else I love the 2 properties. The staff is always kind and pleasant and the rooms are so clean. We are planning to go back in the Fall and use our credit can't wait. We love Cape May...

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I have been coming to cape May for 3 years. I have stayed at Congress Hall the last 2 years and just checked in today for the 3 rd year and would not consider staying anywhere else. The hotel has a unique charming feel to it as soon as you step in the front door. It is extremely family oriented from the pool side down to the beach. They have exciting events everyday for families from Carnivals to pottery and karaoke. The staff at this hotel is amazing. They are professional, friendly, Courteous and beyond accommodating for whatever you need. Christian checks your car in and brings your luggage up and has a smile the entire time. Jackie cannot check you in with anymore enthusiasm, she is so sweet. The staff at the pool and the beach are attentive and there for whatever you need all day long. The nighttime manager, Mike has made this years stay for us perfect so far. I called him about a minor incident last year and he gave me his card before we left and followed up throughout the year. He made sure I was happy with my room and he could not have been more sincere. We love this hotel and plan to be back for many years to come.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I have been coming to the jersey shore for fifty years.
There is no better hotel or location than Congress Hall.
The rooms are great and the service has always been excellent. There is a comfortable feeling here.
The Blue Pig provides delicious meals that are priced right.
There are all the accommodations you need from the pool to the beach chairs and bicycles.
I love this place!!!