“grand old lady of so. jersey. very old fashioned class.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Congress Hall

Congress Hall
Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
ocnj
“grand old lady of so. jersey. very old fashioned class.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2005

Agree with most other review Stayed here on weekend of the 5th of feb 05. We got a deal from Price line that saved only $20/nite over rate from hotel's site. $99.00. We already knew about the place and the location from previous day trips to cape may. It can't be beat for the location, within very short walking distance to anything and everything and great beach @ ocean view and vew of town from some rooms on west side. Best to remember this is a very OLD HISTORICAL building that was restore and some what updated ( moderized with air con. and heat. to make it a year around place) yet because of historic considerations it still had to keep a lot of it's original structure intact. It's a truely beautifull and impressive building, if historic stuff is your thing. They have the most comfortable beds and bedding you can imagin, we were really pleased( slept in till 1030). The bath was clean and big and functional. Room was bright and airy with tv vcr and all that other stuff I really don't need or want. The restaurant had pretty decent food but theirs pleanty of much better very near by if you want. It has a nice little bar and good music and comfortable sofas for hanging out and relaxing. The main drawback I had was the noise that you could hear from inside your room. Hall noise and other rooms. So I guess other people also got to enjoy our noises. We were very pleased with everything so much so that we will definately go back again but I think we would request another room. I looked up the rates for other times of the year and for the same room in a not (PEAK SEASON) they get $300/nite. I could not see paying that amount, it seems very over priced. As a side note it seem as if Fri. nite it was the gathering place for more than just a few of the area gay's to meet and hang. It didn't bother my wife and me but some people seemed a little put off by the crowd and left the bar area .

10 Thank gemini

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2004

Despite a recent review of this hotel being "filthy" and never being cleaned, I found it immaculate and ran into very nice, well-dressed cleaning staff every morning and afternoon. I noticed much of the original woodwork and marble floors are still in place, so complaining about the hotel being old or having cobwebs defeats the purpose of this hotel- it's historic and restored, if you want brand new and modern with no nicks and charms in the woodwork, you never should have left Philly or NY.
The bathrooms are beautiful, we had room 200 and ours had a large tub and a marble standup shower. I also love the aqua, white and black theme in most of the rooms.
The front desk and management were wonderful, we were checked in by Stephanie, and one of the managers, Leif, would have given you the shirt off his back. We didn't have any problems but I overheard another guest discussing a problem with him and he comped their whole stay and was very polite. Our room service was a bit slow and took awhile to get there but the man who delivered it- I cannot remember his name- was very gracious.
The restaurant was great, we had sesame salmon, steak and crabcakes, shrimp cocktail, french onion soup, all of which were very good. The drinks were generous as well and the wine list was one of the best in Cape May. The omelets in the morning are fabulous, they have fillings like feta cheese, fresh spinach, goat cheese, avocado, as well as all the typical breakfast fillings. We will be back here in a heartbeat next year.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2004

After reading some of these reviews, I have to wonder if some of these people stayed at the same Congress Hall that I did. My wife and good friends arranged a weekend trip to celebrate my birthday. After a short drive down the Garden State Parkway, we pulled up to a magnificent old building with tall white collums. Size alone takes your breath away. The moment we arrived we were welcomed by two young men who opened our car doors for us and offered to take our bags. As we entered, we found the lobby to be pretty and inviting. At the front desk, we were again welcomed by two young ladies who were both polite and professional. Althoug it was only 11:00 am, (four hours before check in time) the clerks called housekeeping to ask if our rooms were ready. We were thrilled when both rooms were available!!! When we got to the rooms, we were pleasantly suprised. They were bright and airy, and spotlessly clean. The beds looked lovely with all white linens, down pillows and spreads. We soon found out that they are more comfortable than our own bed at home! Our room looked out across the lawn and pool area, past which is a beautiful view of the ocean. We went back down to the front desk to ask a few questions about things to do and places to eat and again the girls at the desk were wonderful. They took time to talk to us about resturants, tours and other things to do and even gave us a map which they highlighted for us with directions to everywhere we wanted to go. During the course of our stay, we were treated like kings and queens by everyone from the waiters in the Blue Pig resturant to the maintenance man who came to show us how to use our remote control. We saw at least two or maybe even three wedding receptions take place over the weekend in a large, beautifully decorated ballroom. The highlight of the weekend though, was a special birthday dinner that one of the girls at the desk arranged for me at the Washington Inn. Even though Congress Hall does have a concierge on staff, she took the time to make it a special occasion for us, ordering a birthday cake and everything. The age of the building makes it so charming and different from anywhere I have ever stayed. It is clean, obviouly well cared for and I found all of the staff to be very friendly, accomodating and well trained. It is difficult to find young people these days who display such graciousness and who really care about what they do. This is the case with the folks at Congress Hall. I would highly recomend this hotel to anyone planning a trip to Cape May!!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member