“Surpassed our expectations”
Review of Congress Hall

Congress Hall
Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed 11 November 2010

Loved everything about Congress Hall- the location was excellent, great room, great restaurants, wonderful staff! Our first visit to Cape May couldn't be more perfect-we are hoping to be back during the Christmas seaon

1  Thank debbieot
Write a ReviewReviews (1,190)

Reviewed 26 October 2010

We have been spending NY Eve at Cape May for 8 years the last 3 at CH. I just booked again for this year. We love Congress Hall the place is so warm and charming we always get an Ocean View. The location to everything is perfect. The staff has always been excellant. One New Year Eve my Son -in-law forgot his suit and relized it 1/2 hour before the Glitter Ball. The hotel got him a Tux (and it fit perfectly) and he made it on time for the ball. It is expensive, but a really nice treat.

Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
cmsvc, Manager at Congress Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2010

What a great story! Our goal is to provide our guests with the best possible service and accomodate their needs in any way we can. I am so glad to hear that we were able to make this happen for you last year. The Glitter Ball is one of the highlights of our year or a great way to start a new year! We look forward to seeing you this year at the Glitter Ball!

Reviewed 17 October 2010

We headed to Cape May for our honeymoon. We happen to walk by Congress Hall and loved the building went in and grabbed lunch. Went back that night to have a few drinks at the bar - fell in love with the bartender Steve - if you go tell him Lisa & David say hi... We spent 4 nights with him and switched from a bed and breakfast to Congress hall and spent the rest of our honeymoon hardly leaving the hotel they have so much going on - rooms are great view is wonderful the staff is so nice. The bed we want to take home as well as the robes they have in the rooms. They are a block away from Washingston Street Mall and right across from the beach perfect location. We even enjoyed a day at the spa with massages. The bands Friday and Saturday night were great. We are coming back in December with the kids.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
cmsvc, Manager at Congress Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2010

Congratulations on your wedding, we are glad you shared your honeymoon with us! I hope we have the honor of welcoming you back for your 1st Anniversary! Thank you for all your kind comments, we appreciate your business.

Reviewed 15 October 2010

Congress Hall is a lovely, large, hotel in Cape May. The guest rooms are somewhat small compared to the more modern hotels of today, but I think that was to be expected from 1816 when the hotel was built. It is very well maintained and extremely clean. The staff was very accomodating, and pleasant. The loation was excellent. We could walk to many nice restaurants, and shopping areas. The beautiful Adirondak chairs which overlooked the ocean were inviting, but unfortunately, the only day we had to sit, it rained. We enjoyed the coffee shop, and the rocking chairs on the porch.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends

It is great to read your review. We work very hard to keep the historical side and still maintain the needs of our current guests. Thank you so much for you kind words. I hope on your next visit to Congress Hall we have beautiful sunshine so you can enjoy the adirondacks, it's the best seat in town!

Reviewed 13 October 2010

I have frequented this hotel several times a year since 2003 and decided it was time to finally give it a review. My wife and I recently celebrated our anniversary here during the 1st weekend in October and, as always, had an excellent stay.

The staff will do anything to make your stay enjoyable and are some of the best I have encountered. We usually stay on the second floor in a room with an ocean view and balcony. It's great to eat breakfast out there or to have a cocktail before dinner. The Blue Pig is perfect for a casual dinner and since they changed thier menu the food is even better than before (the pork shank is amazing). The Brown Room is a great place to grab a cocktail. It can get crowed, but I think that makes it more fun and I can't recall ever having a bad time there. The Boiler Room is a night club downstairs. We find it hit or miss depending on the band that is performing.

I've read several negative reviews of this hotel. Yes the floors are not level. But the hotel is almost 200 years old. The main pool can get a little crazy with all the kids. And the amount of pool toys allowed is a little ridiculous but that's why they have an adult pool. I can't relate to any of the other bad experiences. I'm sure I have had to wait 5 or 10 minutes for a towel or to check in or out. Maybe the air conditioner wasn't working properly and took a couple of hours to fix. But I'm in Cape May and out of the city so I could really care less. I'm sure if you are on the second floor and trying to go to sleep before 11pm you may here some noise. But this is not a small bed and breakfast.

With all that said, I had my wedding reception at this hotel in 2007. When I see friends and family at other weddings and events they are still talking about what a great time they had at my wedding. I would and have recommended this hotel to friends and family. There is nothing else like it.

2  Thank ejmarist
Reviewed 12 October 2010

This was a great choice for a relaxing weekend on the beach in Cape May. The hotel's location is perfect, right across the street from the beach with complimentary beach lounge chairs and towels provided. The concierge guided us to great restaurants for dinner. The nightclub in the basement had good live music. The room was very nice, colorful and quite large, beds were comfortable with good linens, Aveda products in the bathroom. No coffemaker was provided in the room, but we were given coupons for 2 free coffees for each day from the coffeeshop on the first floor. Outdoor brunch at The Blue Pig was very good.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2010

Congress Hall has a wonderful location, but the drawbacks of the hotel outweigh any positives. We paid for an ocean view room, but our view was mostly of roof and other windows at the hotel. The other wing has a straight-on ocean view; ours did not. The room was decent-sized but it had no seating other than the beds and a wooden desk chair--nothing comfortable to sit in. Very hard for anyone but youngsters.
Considering the age of the hotel I didn't expect a modern room, but our room's floor was so crooked that items on the desk or the bathroom countertop would fall over or roll off. At the price we paid I couldn't believe we had only over-the-air tv.stations, no cable at all. I can't recall the last time we stayed in a hotel/motel without at least some basic cable! We rented a mini-fridge to hold our soda and water--what we got was something that needed to be trashed. It had ants on it and nothing to hold bottles/cans on the door, so everytime we opened the fridge, our beverages fell out (also because of the slanting floor).
Staff was a mixed bag. Housekeeping staff was excellent. Front desk and parking valet staff was hit and miss--some were great, some bordered on rude. There was a wedding the weekend we were there and our son's family were in the wing where the noise traveled right into their room--they said it was terrible. At least we didn't hear that.
Overall, this hotel is overpriced for what is offered. Location is A+, but the conditions don't warrant the high rates.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple