“PERFECT LOCATION /REASONABLY PRICED”
Review of Heritage Inn

and 1 more site!
Heritage Inn
Ranked #10 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Have been visiting Cape May for 30 years so you know I have seen my fair share of lodging.
Last week was my first visit to The Heritage Inn and I can tell you that I have NOTHING negative to say. I did read through many online reviews on several sites and like any place there were some negative reviews. As far as the negative reviews concerning the building itself I do believe they must be very old. The room was super clean ,freshly pained with not a speck of mold or mustiness that is common in beachfront lodging. It had central air-condition that you could adjust yourself. Granted there were not tons of amenities in the room like iron/hairdryer but if you called the desk you could receive these items. . The price is super reasonable for these rooms and if the owners had to incur the cost of fancy toiletries that people just take home with them then the room price would go up. Don't most people prefer their own products anyway.
I could hardly believe that anything negative was said about Mark or Gwen the owners because I found them to be seriously good people. As far as that goes all I can say is that there are people out there who are never happy, find fault in everything and can bring out the worst in Mother Theresa with their nasty ways. If either one of the owners were less than awesome then I would really take a serious look at the vacationer .
Some people complained that you had to walk up stairs to get to the room. Now really. Most homes have a second floor and the same people probably walked around Cape May all day.
I have to say the person complained about not being able to fill her cooler with ice. Come on now .... if the Inn had to fill everyone's cooler everyday they would need a ice distributor to deliver what would be needed. It is NOT AT ALL REASONABLE to expect that your beach cooler be filled .
Parking is pretty much around back . You can pull up in front of Inn to load and unload if you like. If you feel you need a bellboy to carry your bags to your room then stay at the Ritz. I have no doubt that if you really needed help carrying bags then the owners/workers would help.
Like any place of lodging there are some rooms that are better than others. If you are very fussy then I suggest you book way in advance and ask for a more desirable room based on your needs. Share your concerns about what is important to you in a room before making reservations.
The Inn has a great rooftop area with a great view and a nice breeze. Its quiet and you can stay there all day watching the world go by if you prefer to stay out of the hustle and bustle of a busy summer day in Cape May .
It's awesome to get such a great room with a great location at such a reasonable price. You will pay hundreds more to stay at other hotels a few doors away in each direction. Why pay more. Use that money to enjoying dining and shopping in Cape May.
Dianne W.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Dianne W
There are newer reviews for Heritage Inn

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We were not happy with the Heritage Inn at all. Our biggest problem was that, when the AC was turned off, the air conditioner intake was leaking water onto the floor in the sink area, which caused my 2 year old son to fall and hit his head on the floor. Very scary, but thankfully he was ok. When reported to the staff, the kid who worked there first said that the water was caused by our cooler (not true), then he agreed with us when he saw the water drip. Then we were told by the owner that it was caused by our swimsuits (also not true). The following day, a member of the staff began VIDEO TAPING US in the pool!!! I'm guessing they feared a lawsuit and they wanted to prove my son was ok. Serious invasion of privacy and threw off a very clear feeling that we were no longer welcome.

There also were more minor issues. The owner told me I could not take ice from the ice machine for a cooler because the ice was "only for the buckets in the rooms". Very odd. There are no irons or ironing boards in the rooms, but you can borrow one from the front desk. Inconvenient.

As others have stated, we were stuck in a back room next to what appeared to be the laundry room. We were told very rudely "that's the room you booked". Not true again, but someone has to stay in those rooms, so not the biggest deal.

We ended up leaving a day early because the place was so unsatisfactory. Our biggest issue was the rudeness of the woman who owned it, and their unwillingness to accept responsibility for anything. They basically had a snark comment everytime an issue was brought up to them. I would never stay there again and would not recommend it to anyone.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
11  Thank Brian W
Gwen F, General Manager at Heritage Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

In response to your review you forgot to mention that I offered you your full stay back in a refund. Not only once but three times. You were unhappy from the minute you arrived and you and I both knew it was not a good fit. As far as the iron, they are supplied at the office available upon request, you thought it was inconsiderate. As far as the ice, I explained that it is for room ice buckets and not extra large coolers to go to the beach, you filled your ice container anyway, I thought that was inconsiderate of the other guests. Again you were asked 3 times if you would like a refund once for each day you stayed and you declined. We even offered to find you other accommodations at another hotel. I am not sure why you did not take advantage of our many offers?

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed at the Heritage Inn for a last minute getaway over the 4th of July weekend. Gwen was extremely friendly and welcoming. Even other guests at the Inn were friendly!! Our room, which was on the 3rd floor, was very clean and had a great view of Beach Ave. and the ocean. We also had easy access to restaurants, bars and the Washington Street Mall. We felt so at home and comfortable here, we decided that this would be our "place to stay" in the future.
...I actually called today for another "last minute" booking for Labor Day weekend! Gwen remembered us and was so happy that we'd be returning. Can't wait!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We have stayed at this hotel 2 years in a row and have been very happy. The hotel has a great location; you are directly across form the beach and walking distance to shopping and restaurants.
The staff is friendly.
The rooms and pool are clean.
As a bonus there is a roof top deck with table and chairs and lounge chairs; a nice escape to look over cape may and relax.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Great location and Gwen and Mark are very accommodating and super friendly. You can't get a better location! Parking is easy and convenient. I'm not sure why someone would complain about parking. The furthest parking spot is merely around back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I booked this hotel to stay with my three girls. I was on my own and when I checked in, we were given the room in the far back, basically next to the cleaning closet. When one of my girls asked why we were given his room, the check in person replied, well, that's what happens when mommy books the vacation at the last minute. What a welcome! The room was depressing and shabby. The pool is tiny and literally surrounded by parked cars. The worst part of the whole experience was that the staff was completely unhelpful and unfriendly. Do not stay here.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank vjny
Gwen F, General Manager at Heritage Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

I am not certain this is a valid review for several reasons: we do not have back rooms near cleaning closets, you stated you stayed in August and it is July, you also stated you stayed in 2013 and it is now 2014 and finally you stated that our staff was unfriendly which is contrary to our history which would most certainly not be a valid statement. We are a family operated establishment and we take great pride in our guest relations and ability to satisfy each of our guests' needs. In the last 45 years that we have owned and operated the Heritage Inn "unfriendly" is not a word associated with the Heritage Inn.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

This hotel is directly across the street from the beach, and is close/in walking distance to all the shopping and restaurants you would ever want. My husband and I stayed in room 24 on the 3rd floor, and this was a beautiful ocean view room. The staff at The Heritage are very friendly! The only downfall was that the bed was very uncomfortable. We brought our own comforter, so what we ended up doing was flipping over the bedding sheet side up, and that added a extra layer of bedding made it tolerable. The air conditioner worked very well, and the free wifi was awesome too! I was able to look up information on different excursions we wanted to do during our stay. All in all, a excellent hotel!!! I will stay there again and again!!!!!

1  Thank 103SueFan