“Best kept secret in Cape May”

Montreal Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed 26 July 2008

Friendly staff, excellent restaurant on premises, clean, and the only hotel in Cape May to offer beach service. Rates are on par with other hotels.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends

Reviewed 5 July 2008

We were hoping for a getaway to relax and have some fun. The Montreal Inn more than met our expectations. We spent the days either relaxing at the beach or lounging by the pool, enjoyed our meals at Cafe Promenade, the restaurant there on the property. Afterwards, we enjoyed a cocktail (or three!) at the tiki bar, where we were able to chat with others also vacationing. If it were not for the beautiful sights to see in Cape May, we would not have felt the need to leave! We had an awsome time, and I can say with confidence that I look forward to returning to The Montreal Inn in the future.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank specs4u
Reviewed 4 July 2008

Stayed here for the second year in a row. Had a ocean view queen suite. The room was clean, the bed was fine and the view was great. The bathroom is very small but the hot water works well. The sink backed up one morning and was fixed right away. The front staff personal are all very courtesy and professional, I wanted to mention Bill, Monica and Marcia. We wanted to mention the great job Sharon did keeping the room clean. We made our reservations to return in 2009.

1  Thank benton1220
Reviewed 23 June 2008

We have been staying at the Montreal Inn, Cape May, NJ for over 30 years. Each year we have been treated to a great stay, reasonable prices and the nicest staff people on the beach. The entire Inn has been refurbished in the past few years. The staff keep it clean. This year the restaurant has been reopened with a great menu at great prices. Discounts are available if you stay at the Inn. A beach service has been added so you may have a large beach umbrella or cabana at minimal cost and lounge chairs at no cost all set up for you on the beach. The pool was clean, the water clear and about 78 degrees. We had a great stay and have made reservations for October and again for next year.

1  Thank blurfish
Reviewed 23 June 2008

Cape May is great...and we absolutley loved it..HOWEVER, The Montreal Inn? Just OK. I found it to be a little expensive for the overall experience. I'll start the positive: You're practically on the beach, it's pretty close to everything.....The negative: Dark, musty, any if you have any type of dust mite allergies, (as I am a chronic sufferer), it is not very healthy. I was congested and stuffy to the point of discomfort anytime I was in the room. Again, not a bad stay, but for the money, ($262 a night), I will definitely stay somewhere different, and plan further ahead next time. Another positive: The Hotel restaurant/ bar was really good!! The breakfast was outstanding, and the drinks were great. Again, I will reiterate: While the Montreal inn was not bad, it most certainly was not that outstanding.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank lisasal1229
Reviewed 9 June 2008

Before I get into my review I'll address a few concerns others have recently posted -

The person in 208 without an ocean view - I was next door and we had a perfect ocean view....

I don't know what kind of keys they were given, but we had the standard swipe keys that all hotels use - and is this really something to complain about anyway?

The housekeeping seemed to be just fine to me, and was right on time.

The bathrooms...well, we'll get to that later.

Anyway - recently my fiance and I spent 2 nights in the Montreal for a last minute weekend getaway.

When we got there, we were happy with the nice, modern looking office area, and my fiance particularly liked the free jelly beans as a nice little touch.

The room was about as expected at the beach for a 2/3 star type hotel. It was certainly very clean and wasn't dusty or damp as others have said. The air purifier they put in the room is a very nice touch. The room included hair dryer, safe, stove, full refrigerator (great if you want to bring your own stuff to save money) and microwave. I noticed that the air conditioning wasn't working, but we really didn't need it with the cool ocean breeze.

The bathroom, although clean, was the only problem. I don't know what kind of crazy architect decided to put the small toilet right next to the wall and then put a toilet paper dispenser right in front of the toilet, so close it was sticking out directly in front of the toilet. Maybe this is fine for <5 ft people, but at 6 ft 2, 275+ lbs, this posed a certain problem for me. I was not enjoying the acrobatics needed to use the restroom by the end of my stay.

However, other than that, the room was just fine.

The pool and common areas were superbly clean and well kept up. I was really impressed with the high quality lounge chairs they had - they seemed nice to look at and sit on.

We ate breakfast at their restaurant one morning, and my fiance kept on commenting that she was so happy that it was so clean at the restaurant. Definitely a plus there. The service was great, and the food was good as well.

I would certainly go back there, as it was a good value for the time we spent there. However, I certainly will be requesting a handicap bathroom if available...

2  Thank Doug T
Reviewed 8 June 2008

Just returned from 8 nights stay at the Montreal Inn. This is a friendly and well run inn in a great location with fantastic views over the ocean. The staff on reception were very helpful and courteous as were the maids and other staff. The inn was quiet, catering mainly for families and retireds.
Our "suite" was a little dated in decor, but was clean and had everything you need. We had a one-bedroom suite (2 double beds) with lounge/diner, balcony, kitchenette and bathroom, though the bath was very small. All the balconies look forward out over the ocean, obviously the higher floors having a better view. The pool was great - big enough and spotlessly clean. Our only criticism was that the pool area closed at 4pm which was rather early. Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, with plenty to do in the Cape May area.
We would definitely recommend the Montreal Inn to other travellers.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family