“Bed Bugs, Not a Problem”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Philadelphia
“Bed Bugs, Not a Problem”
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I had gone online right after making my reservation, and I saw the reviews about bed bugs so I was quite hesitant about going. I called the hotel, and I was assured that there was no bed bug problem. I was still unsure about going, but it was a last minute get away so I took my chances.

I asked the staff again when I got there If there was any issues with bed bugs, and again they said no. The first thing that I did when I got to the room was to check the bed for any kind of signs of bed bugs. There were no signs that there were any there. With that I put that issue in the back of my mind, and my girlfriend and I enjoyed the rest of our time there.

Overall a very nice hotel, and the front desk staff was very understanding about my concerns, which was quite nice. I will definately be back down again.

Room Tip: Ask for a Ocean View Grand Room. They are very nice.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jason S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Polish first
Rockaway, New Jersey
Reviewed 15 August 2012

My Family and I came in to the hotel on August 2nd to find that the air conditioning was not working. They accommodated us by moving us to a lesser room on the other side of the property that had ac. They promised us that the ac would be fixed by 8pm that night and by the next day we could go to the room we booked. They also gave us money towards the Humphries restaurant so we could have dinner and adjusted the room price. The next day we left our room and on the way back to the room we could not get into our room. We had found out the key for that room was disabled at 12pm. We were not told this. The front desk apologised again, let us back into the room to shower and get our stuff and they moved us back to our original room that still had no ac. We were informed that they would have it back on at 8pm again. We got back to our room at 12:30am to find the ac was not fixed and it felt like a sauna. The evening of the fourth they finally had brought in an outside unit that started to pump cool air into the building. The only problem with that was that there was a wedding going on and that is where they pumped the ac. So that night as well we had no ac or just the start of the ac and when we left on the fifth the building was still warm. The staff tried there hardest to make everyone as comfortable as could be but like myself people where infuriated. And the staff took the brunt of it. I found that Manager Debbie and Jill who was working the front desk did everything that they could to help. They were great. But the problem lays with upper management not having a plan for such an emergency. They should have had a back up unit there and being that they did not they should have gotten the unit that they brought in on Saturday in on Thursday being they lost the ac that Wednesday the first at 6pm.

Room Tip: Don't worry about a balcony. They have areas where you can go for the view and sit and have a gl...
3 Thank David C
New Jersey
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Thank U for your stories about the bed bugs & good for anyone who was refunded, we were not so lucky. We decided to book because of the review in NJ mag & because we had been before. I love Cape May & so do my other family members. After this though it does put a bad taste in one's mouth. Once we read your reviews we got scared & called The Cape May Dept of Health & I was given the # of the Inspector's office but can't get through because mailbox is full ????? So we called the Grand & were told they have someone come out every 2 weeks (this sounds like a problem to me) but they said it is their routine. I was assured that there were no problems and also told I would not get a refund if I cancelled. It did not matter that I had been there before & so has some of my family with no problems until now but at the same time they seem to be well aware of the reviews. I certainlly hope that my deposit will cover the cost of one of their routine exterminator visits because if I were to bring these lil critters home with me the cost to get rid of them along with our recovery from the stress of the entire matter would cost a lot more than a couple of days of fun in the sun. We'll go somewhere else without the worries so that we can still visit wonderful old Cape May.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Decksnoozer

Travellers are raving about these Cape May hotels

New Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed 14 August 2012

We booked an August long weekend; however, after seeing the extensive reports of bedbugs on TripAdvisor and BedBugRegistry.com, we called to cancel. The hotel insisted on charging us a cancellation fee even though we explained that we were not cancelling for our own convenience, we were cancelling due to the bedbug reports. The hotel rep. explained that they were "spraying for the bugs" but would not wave the cancellation fee. We tried to reach the manager 5 separate times and left voicemail messages, but were told the manager "was not available" (Saturdays and Sundays) and our voicemail message was not returned. Be forewarned about this place. What a shame since Cape May is so nice!

8 Thank EileenMary1520
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Originally, we planned for Cape May to be a day trip, but we decided to stay the night. Most hotels were booked, so we randomly chose The Grand Hotel. I wish we had just looked on this site first. They only had one room left. Super tiny, with just a stand up shower where I couldn't take a shower without banging into a wall and a full size bed which I couldn't sleep on without worrying that I'd roll off, and it was just my toddler and me sleeping on the bed! My husband and my son had to sleep on the floor, and my son ended up rolling under the bed, that's how tight the room was.

Everything was very dirty. We had a towel with red stains on it (I don't want to think about it), there was a dead spider in the soap dish that looked like it had been there for awhile, we had a pillow with a large black stain on it (which was facing up! There's no way they didn't see it when they put it on the bed). The walls are also super thin.

The staff isn't very helpful either. We asked the front desk for some ideas of what to do in Cape May. He said that you can eat and shop and that's pretty much it. Ahem...isn't there beach access just across the street? Isn't there a dolphin watching cruise? Cape May is such a great little town, I can't believe that the person who's supposed to share this wonderful town with you can only come up with eat and shop.

I definitely wouldn't go back there again. There's gotta be better hotels there. Next time, we'll just have to plan ahead and book a hotel first!!

4 Thank dopee36
Nazareth, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 August 2012

I will not even give this hotel a one in the rating. We came on Wednesday night, 8/1/12. The room was not what the picture looked like at all. It's a dingy looking place with a funny smell. The ceiling panel is falling apart especially in the bathroom. It's so low you can push up the ceiling panel into place (just be careful, it will fall on you!). Then we woke up Thursday morning the AC stopped working. It was so hot and humid. Front desk said the "AC blew up last night and they're working on it...might be fixed by tonight". We were back that night, still no AC, front desk again said they're still working on it. We slept with the windows open but no air is coming it. IT WAS SUPERHOT! Friday morning, staff again said they're still working on it. Friday afternoon, they sent a fan. The staff will make it sound that it's almost fixed but it was far from that. They rented a portable AC to cover the wedding that was to take place that day (just for them). We've had it, we cut our vacation short and left! They refunded one day and said they will give us a complimentary one night stay for future use. I told the guy "are you kidding me, why in the world would we come back here!" All this time, we never heard an apology for the inconvenience, no refreshments, just a very cold, unfriendly, unhelpful staff. They even went as far as telling some patrons the AC was fixed. When I overheard that, I told them that's not true. Ours is not working on the 3rd floor. Another patron also said, we don't have AC on the 2nd flr either. Bottom line, STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL. By the way, we looked for another place to stay in the vicinity after sleeping in the oven one night, they're all booked.

Room Tip: Go some place else.
5 Thank nutcrkrmd
Robert B, Owner at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
First and foremost, I want to apologize for the problems with our air conditioning system during your recent stay with us. As we all know too well, mechanical breakdowns do occur. With as hot and humid as Friday evening was, there could not been a worse time for our air conditioning system to break down.
There have been many false rumors and misconceptions with respect to the chain of event which occurred between Thursday August 2nd and Saturday August 4th, and I would ask that you allow me this opportunity to explain what actually happened.
Early Thursday morning I noticed the hotel hallway felt a little warmer than normal, so I checked on the chiller (large air conditioner that cools the Queen’s Inn section of the hotel). The chiller had shut itself down. Upon further inspection, we quickly determined that a major component, a hermetic oil pump that supplies lubrication to the chiller’s compressor, the same oil pump just replaced the previous Sunday, had failed. We immediately called the service company that had repaired the chiller. They explained to us that the part was obsolete, and that we basically had two choices. We could have our oil pump rebuilt, which would take several days, or we could reengineer the chiller and adapt to it an external oil pump, however, they would not be able to get an oil pump to us until Monday at the earliest. After several telephone calls, WE were able to secure the required oil pump, but we would not have the pump until approximately 2:00 pm on Friday. Since we had just been down this road on the previous Sunday, we estimated that we would have the new oil pump installed and the chiller back in operation by around 6pm Friday. So for the rest of Thursday, we began to retrofit the chiller’s lubrication system in anticipation of installing the new oil pump early Friday afternoon. As long as the pump arrived as anticipated, there was no reason to believe the chiller would not be operating early Friday evening.
After working all night Thursday and into Friday morning, we had completed the retrofit to the chiller around 9:00 am Friday morning. We simply needed to install the new pump once it arrived to complete the repair to the chiller and have the air conditioning system back to full operation. Unfortunately, the pump did not arrive until 4:00pm, setting our timetable back accordingly. The installation of the pump went as anticipated, and we were ready to test the pump at approximately 8:00 pm. We turned the pump on and within 5 seconds the pump blew its seal out, causing lubrication oil to gush out of the pump. The pump was unusable, we were dead in the water. Seriously? A brand new pump fails within 5 seconds? I informed the front desk that the repair had failed, and that I did not know when the air conditioning would be back on. By the way, on Monday, August 6th, the company that sold the pump to us, confirmed that their inspection of the pump confirmed that the pump seal had been improperly installed at the factory!
Even though there was no way to get the new pump repaired before Monday, we did have a contingency plan for just such an emergency. We had previously researched the viability of renting a chiller in case of a prolonged chiller outage. It was now around 9:00 pm, and I began to call the three chiller rental companies I had inquired to. One company was able to provide the rental chiller we needed. After begging and insisting, I was able to get the salesperson (after he was finished dinner with his wife at a restaurant) to call his people in so that we could have the equipment delivered as soon as possible. At 11:00 pm, the salesperson confirmed that the equipment was indeed located at their depot in New Jersey. Although he did not know exactly when the equipment would be loaded on to the tractor-trailer and on its way to us, he said he would have the truck driver call me when he was leaving the depot, and that it would take about two hours to drive the equipment to Cape May.
We immediately turned to the task of adapting our plumbing and electrical systems to connect them to the rental chiller upon its arrival. It was all hands on deck to get the job done so that we could connect the rental chiller as soon as possible. At 3:30am Saturday morning the rental chiller and equipment arrived at the Grand. We were able to secure a 100 ton rental chiller and have it delivered in under seven hours over a Friday night / Saturday morning!
To complete the installation of the rental chiller, we had to drag 600 feet of 4 inch hose and 2,100 feet of power cable under, through around and up the building to the 5th floor of the hotel. By around 12:30 pm on Saturday, we had finally completed the installation of the rental chiller and fired it up. As it happens, the mother of the bride who’s reception was being held in our 5th floor ballroom at 6:30pm, was talking to me and asking me when we would have air conditioning as the chiller started and came to life. She was elated, and some of the people at the outdoor pool applauded. To my complete and utter dismay and disgust, the rental chiller shut itself down after running for only about ten minutes, it was malfunctioning! I reset the controls and tried again, but the machine shut itself down again. I thought to myself how on earth could this be happening? After all of the hard work how could this possibly be the end result? I don’t think I was ever so disgusted and disheartened, not to mention slightly delirious from lack of sleep.
I immediately called rental company and informed them what was happening. They had a tech in the area and sent him over. Well the tech arrived and assessed the situation. After working on the unit for about an hour, he was unable to determine the problem, but another tech, an “expert”, was on his way, but it was going to take three hours for him to get to Cape May. At about 5:30pm, the expert arrived and quickly determined that the chiller was low on Freon. By 5:45pm the chiller was finally fully operational.
Since we were about to host a wedding reception, a once in a lifetime experience (hopefully), I decided to divert most of the chiller’s capacity to cooling the 5th floor ballroom for the wedding reception. When the reception was scheduled to end, I diverted all of the chilled water to the hotel guest rooms. The guest rooms began to cool down at approximately 10:30 pm. I am sure that many of you who were not part of the reception may not agree with my decision to divert the cooling to the ballroom, but I felt I HAD to cool that ballroom down for the wedding reception first.
I can not stress enough that at no time did anyone from the Grand Hotel lie or misrepresent when the air conditioning would be fixed. The situation was fluid, and we provided the best information that we had at the time. I can honestly say that we did everything humanly possible and spared no expense to restore the air conditioning as quickly as possible. A few of us, including myself, went over 48 hours without any sleep to work on restoring the air conditioning as quickly as we could. I would have been at the front desk to explain this to you personally, but that would have taken me away from my singular focus which was to restore the air conditioning. As a matter of fact, I was walking by the front desk around 10:00pm Saturday when an unhappy guest was demanding to see an owner of the hotel. I turned to him and introduced myself. He was understandably upset and demanded to know why we lied about when the air conditioning would be restored. When I finished telling this story, he actually apologized to me! He obviously understood that we did the best we could under the circumstances.
Again, I am sorry that your experience at the Grand was marred by the air conditioning problems, but at least you now understand the entire story.
Columbia,PA
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Had bad experience because AC was down for 2 0f our three night stay. However hotel did reimburse us for one night. Restaurant at Grand had good food but expensive, but all restaurants at resorts are expensive. Indoor heated pool cold, spa hot, but nice after pool. Indoor pool and spa not easy for handicap person with bad legs. Last step out too high and only one railing to hold on too, my friend had to assist me at getting out of both.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends