“Grand Hotel in Cape May”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Atlantic City, New Jersey
“Grand Hotel in Cape May”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I read all the negative ramblings by guests wanting 6 star needs for 3 star pricing. I was tentative in going to this beach front hotel because of this. Granted the towels were smaller but clean. The room was clean and the front desk staff I encountered (Mark & Danielle) worked hard to make the best accommodations work for us. Food was fresh and good, service was adequate and the staff went out of their way.The outdoor pool was huge and didn't need to use the indoor one because of the sunny weather. I didn't like my 1st room and they moved me to another one.This one was a newer conversion and comfortable. Overall, our stay was enjoyable and would consider this property again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Polish first
Hampton, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I have not stayed in this hotel yet, but just by the awesome customer service that "Mark" offer, I can honestly say that I'm going to enjoy the stay. It goes a long way when he took the effort to suggest how to make a wonderful experience for my wife and me. I ask for a suggestion to impressed my wife who is graduating the USCG that day. His response was so detail oriented that I could not believe there is people out there that still care for the customers experience. Astute job, no wonder he is the manger of a what I know is going to be a great honey moon. Thank you so much to The Grand Hotel, but thank you even more "Mark" for a wonderful customer experience.

Sincerely Ivan DHV

1 Thank Ivan D
Delran, NJ
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Enjoyed our 2 night stay at the Grand Hotel. We arrived on Labor Day, one of two cars traveling south on the Atlantic City Expressway and Parkway that day. Weather was terrible when we left, but upon arrival in Cape May the sky was blue and sun shining. We were actually able to spend a wonderful late afternoon on the beach. As for the hotel, I would call it shabby chic. The lobby and corridors were very inviting with their lovely paintings and soft wood tones. That was the chic. On the other hand, the room was a bit shabby, frayed around the edges. In its defense we must remember it is an older hotel so you have to realize that going in. We had a lovely little terrace with a very relaxing side view of the ocean. We were able to spend the entire next day on the beach without paying a beach fee, and the weather fully cooperated. We also were able to walk to the center of Cape May for shopping. In closing, for my husband and me, looking for a 3 day mini-vacation it fit the bill.

Room Tip: Oceanfront would be a direct ocean view, but ocean view was fine.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 September 2013

It's 9/6/13. Just got back from our stay there. Won't go again. If you are anything like me and are used to Marriott's and other 4-5 star properties I wouldn't recommend this hotel. Apparently we got a room that has not been "redone". Everything was old, smelled, and pretty well worn. The shower randomly burned you with scalding hot water. There was no place to really put your toiletries. The towels were very old, small, and over used. I even saw the staff throw the soiled linens for the day on the ground in the parking garage. You could "ask" for a coffee maker, but would have to put that on top of the microwave, which was on top of the dorm-sized refrigerator. Why have those amenities if there's no counter space to prepare anything. The comforter on the bed was so-so (pretty well used), but the blanket under it was unacceptable. I wouldn't let my dog sleep on it. Should have just burned it. The king sized bed was OK and the pullout bed was better than most that I've seen. TV was old, but it worked. Furniture was worn. The restaurant dinner menu was limited and pricey, but the food was good. The staff was OK in general. The elevators were scary. And the indoor pool really needs to be ventilated. Very few people used it, maybe because you couldn't breathe. The chlorine gagged you. I supposed if you were lucky and you got a refurbished room, your experience was possibly different. Sadly, ours was not good.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank CL R

Travellers are raving about these Cape May hotels

Pittsburgh Pa
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Cape May N.J. is a great beach vacation spot and the Grand is a very nice place located across the street from the beach. It is family-friendly with a wide choice of room sizes and prices. My wife and I went there to attend a wedding in '12, and are returning for a weekend "mini-vaca" in 9/13 b/c we liked it so much. Altho across the street from the water, it is not in the midst of too much beach "honky-tonk," as it is towards the end of that and Cape May is quiet for a beach destination anyway. There are many attractions a short drive away, and it is not-too-far from the true beach honky-tonk of the Wildwoods, but not so close that it gets the spill-over of the noise and all that goes with it.

Room Tip: a "beach-view" is not the same as ocean front - you may need to look hard to the left or r...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Ashville, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I have to say, I am extremely impressed! I stayed here around five years ago and it was nice but I think it is beautiful! The outside can be a bit deceiving but the room is immaculate. It looks like it has been completely remodeled. I have an efficiency and it is very roomy. I stayed at another hotel Marquis de Lafayette years ago and you could barely move the room was so small. My room here at the Grand is very roomy with a kitchenette with full functioning microwave, frig, dishes, everything you need. The bed is beautiful. Again, I am very pleased. I also have been given access to the breakfast buffet every morning as included with the room and also an evening dinner. The girls at the front desk were extremely friendly and helpful. The room looks freshly painted and the air conditioner looks new. I will definitely stay here again. The price of the hotel is also very reasonable especially for the all that is included and the view is great. Can't say enough about the place. Can't wait to try other facilities. It's a small thing but I would suggest more outlets for all the new technology. Also the bathroom is immaculate. Wish my home was this clean.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Central Connecticut
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We've spent a week in Cape May for the last 10 summers and each year we return to the Grand Hotel. Lets cut right to the chase......if you are looking for 4 star luxury choose another property, if you want somewhere to unload your SUV's worth of food, beach chairs, and boogie boards then you've come to the right place! We are a family of six and we've always stayed in the "Town House Suite on the third floor. These rooms are by no means fashionable, they have never been updated in the 10 years we've been coming, and I've certainly seen my share of noisy ac units and stained carpets, but they are functional and after a full day at the beach what more do you need than a hot shower and a bed to crash on? Overall the property is not that bad, the older brick part has been renovated and it actually quite nice. The main reason we keep coming back is that it's family friendly, you can hang out at the outdoor pool, grab the kids a burger and yourself a cocktail from the poolside bar, if you get a bit too much sun or heaven forbid it starts to rain just head into the indoor pool! Last but not least......location. Directly across the road is the one of the cleanest and least crowded beaches I've yet to find in NJ. You just get up in the morning head over and stake out your spot and your set for the day.

Room Tip: Ocean front town house with a private balcony
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family