“Nice room - parking issue”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Northern NJ
“Nice room - parking issue”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed here previously in the older section and this time selected the two room efficiency. This room was a significant upgrade from the previous room. This was an up to date, very clean room. The small kitchen area was supplied with dishes etc. If you select this room bring dish soap since none is supplied. The beds, king in the bedroom and pull out sofa were very comfortable. Sleeper mattresses are usually very poor and I was pleasantly suprised with the quality of the one we had. There was a large, new, flat screen TV in the living room area and an older style TV in the bedroom. While we anticipated having an issue finding parking, we lucked out both the night we arrived and the second night after going into town for dinner. There were functions going on both nights and I am sure other guests had trouble finding a spot since each night we got the last one available. Considering the fact that it was very windy and raining both nights finding an offsite parking space would not have been enjoyable. This is their biggest problem. We had an issue the last time we stayed and had to park off property and move the car later in the day.
The indoor pool is a great extra with children when you have bad weather and during the winter months. The pool bathrooms were spotless. Towels are supplied at poolside so you don't need to take any from your room.
While the weather did not allow us to use the beach, it is right across the street.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the "Queen" Section as these are newer rooms.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Polish first
Williamsport, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

I read some bad reviews on here before booking this hotel, but the good reviews outweighed the bad. I think the reason for conflicting reviews is based on the room you have and which side of the hotel you stay in. We stayed on the newer side (queen), which was very nice.
The property itself is very nice. Everything was very clean and the staff was very nice. There is a very large indoor pool and hot tub with very comfortable furniture. There are also showers in the bathrooms at the indoor pool. There is a large outdoor heated pool with plenty of lounge chairs, and a poolside bar with a limited food menu. The beach is just across the street from the hotel.
We stayed in an ocean view Jr grand room which is smaller than the standard ocean view grand room. We chose this room because it had the best views of the ocean from the room and the balcony. The ocean view was spectacular from our balcony. I almost didn't want to leave to go to the beach! The one thing I didn't like about room was in the bathroom. It had a pedestal sink and there was no counter space. The only mirror in the room was in the bathroom. Combine this with no fan in the bathroom and it made it a little difficult for 2 people to get ready with a steamed up mirror. This wasn't a huge deal, just a little inconvenient.
This hotel is not exactly handicapped friendly. There is a ramp from the parking lot into the hotel and elevators. However, the elevators are small and there are steps into the indoor and outdoor pool and the hot tub.
They have a very reasonably priced breakfast buffet at the restaurant. We ate breakfast there 2 days. It was a magnificent buffet with every food you can imagine. If you walk away hungry, it’s your own fault.
Every hotel (unless it’s a 5 star) has its bad points. The bad points here are minor in my opinion. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone. The location and convenience to the beach outweigh any minor problems.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Beachluver62
Baltimore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

We recently attended a wedding and reception here, and stayed on site. I was a little worried after reading reviews on another site, but something must have happened between the time those were written (2012) and our stay, because we saw and experienced none of the problems I read about. The lobby was beautiful, the room comfortable and quiet (unusual for a busy hotel!), and the staff quite helpful (except for some attitude from staff at the restaurant). The reception and cocktail hour were great, and the food absolutely fantastic (I have no idea if it was catered by the hotel or someone else). It wasn't cheap, but we enjoyed our weekend away. I would stay here again, and next time I would make use of one of the pools...they both looked great.

Room Tip: There are A LOT of rooms, and many have balconies, some more private than others, and some with bett...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Pennsauken, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

My wife and I had snuck away for the day and went to The Grand hotel in Cape May. The staff seemed a little overwhelmed at the front desk as we checked in. Our room was dated but clean and nice. Parking on the property seemed to be an issue. After our day of sightseeing, we returned to find no parking as there was a function going on. It was raining and my wife was a bit miffed at the situation. We were paying for our stay but had no parking spot assigned to us. The front desk told us to either pay at a meter or several blocks away for free. As we drove around the lot we encountered an employee who was on her break. Her name was Pam. She went out of her way in assisting us with our dilemma. She found us a parking spot that wasn't technically a parking spot. After her helping me calm my wife down, she informed the front desk that it was our car and not to disturb it. She then directed us to Hemmingway's for a drink which we needed. I really wanted to thank pam for going above and beyond her job as she did say she,was,on break from working a banquet. Being in the business ourselves it was nice to have someone go out of their way for us. She definitely changed our minds about the hotel and would consider coming back.

• Stayed September 2013
Newark, Delaware
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

The Grand Hotel was not as nice as the pictures. I did like the location (right next to the ocean). We had an 18 month old with us and the railings on the decks & sun deck were not very secure. We liked the indoor & outdoor pool. Everything was kept clean. The Air conditioner did NOT work and our room was very hot. Our first complaint went unanswered. The second compaint was handled very quickly by Brian M in maintenance. He was very nice and installed a temporary A/C which worked very well. There was also no coffee machine in our room which they specifically told me would be there. Brian was very nice to retrieve one for us.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

I had my wedding at The Grand Hotel, and I couldn't recommend it highly enough. The elegance and the views make for a spectacular combo. The renovated rooms are very nice, especially for a beach town, and come with little kitchenettes which is very helpful when at the beach. The elevators are slow, though.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newly renovated rooms!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Lanoka Harbor, New Jersey, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

We booked an impromptu stay on Monday night (9/30) for our son's 4th birthday. I hope it wasn't just us, but we had to walk in a few different entrances before figuring out where the actual lobby was.

Check in took about 20 minutes, which I considered a little long for an off-peak night. The women who checked us in was not overly friendly but not rude. Just business-like. We were given 2 keys, but neither worked when we got to our room. We continued to have issues the entire time, but hotel staff did check on us to ensure everything was okay.

Our room #202, was fine for 1 night, but we were directly in front of the elevators and it did get loud at times. The room had a little seating area (off the main room) with 2 rocking chairs which was cute, but our view was the black roof. If we looked to the left, the beach was clearly visible. In fairness, we did not book an ocean view or upgraded room. Our room was spacious, clean, with plenty of storage. There was a huge open patio area with lounge chairs directly outside our room - the view was incredible. The ice machine on our floor did not work, but I only had to go up 1 flight of stairs to get some. The room was $126 for one night - I would have definitely asked for a different room if we were staying longer.

The only reason I booked The Grand is that it's the only one with an indoor pool. Ironically, we had gorgeous temps and probably didn't need it. Our son loved the kiddie pool, which is separated from the main pool. We had the entire pool to ourselves, which was a nice perk of a late September Monday night stay. After the sun set, we used the indoor pool for a few hours. The hot tub was super relaxing!! The décor is a little dated, but nothing good or bad to note.

The proximity to the beach is ideal and it's only 1 mile from the Washington Street Mall; however, the walk is little long for small kids (aka our 4 year old). After walking the town, I'm not sure that any hotel could be considered a bad spot - everything is centrally located.

I would recommend for families, groups of friends, and beach lovers.

Room Tip: Room #202 is directly in front of the elevators.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family