“Dungenous Crab Night”

Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Dungenous Crab Night”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Restaurant was nice and service was outstanding. We ordered the all you can eat dungenous crabs. Please, please, please tell your Chef to STOP using all-spice to season the crabs. We had all these tiny black balls throughout our crabs and the meat took on the taste of cinnamon!! YUCK!!!! No need to get fancy with crabs. Just steamed or spiced with a little Old Bay is enough. Funny we also went to the Land and Sea Buffet on Thursday night and the crabs were amazing!! I figured it must of been the person cooking the crabs on Monday and hopefully you'll give them the message. We will be back again and hopefully the problem will be corrected by then. Thank you!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Stayed at The Grand Hotel last weekend and had a fantastic time. The hotel is in great condition with fantastic views of the beach and ocean. Upon arrival my wife and I were greeted by a warm and friendly front desk staff. The rooms are clean, comfortable, and had all the amenities one could ask for. Hemingway's Prime Steaks & Seafood Restaurant was incredible, we had a great dinner with wonderful service, and then to finish the night off there was a DJ who played the best dance music. The following morning we enjoyed the breakfast buffet or should us say Brunch,
there were so many offerings I can not wait to go back. The indoor pool is the best around, very large plenty of space and chairs, and the temperature of the pool was perfect.
During or two night stay we did see numerous wedding parties, The Grand Hotel has two beautiful ballrooms overlooking the beach and ocean and the food smelled amazing, everyone was having a great time.
Well until next time, I can't wait to get back next month.

1 Thank Chris L
Jersey Shore, New Jersey
Reviewed 16 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary. We come to Cape May every October. The indoor pool and jacuzzi were nice. We were on the second floor. Our room was clean and nice. The TV was old, no flat screen. I wasn't happy that I did not have a coffee maker in my room. Bed was comfy and I would stay again. Issues were parking. There were 2 weddings and I parked halfway on the sidewalk and told the front desk that there wasn't any spots open. They need to fix this. Great location.. Good buffet breakfast for $12.95. Lots of food! I would stay again..

Millville
Reviewed 15 October 2013

My wife & I stayed here for the wine festival. It was cancelled for Saturday; so we enjoyed the day in south jersey. check in was good, nice & friendly. Nice room décor.....now the issues; window was "whistling" unable to close (handle broke) had to go out to push the window while my wife push it. Parking was terrible, had a window thing....no parking available. The room was cold due to it was the beach....October...windy. Thermostat on the wall, summer & winter setting. I put it on winter.....cold air came out. tried to turn it up, didn't work. Called the front desk; they said it can't be controlled by the room (your in the main building) Glad there were blankets.
Faucet didn't work also.

Northern NJ
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed here previously in the older section and this time selected the two room efficiency. This room was a significant upgrade from the previous room. This was an up to date, very clean room. The small kitchen area was supplied with dishes etc. If you select this room bring dish soap since none is supplied. The beds, king in the bedroom and pull out sofa were very comfortable. Sleeper mattresses are usually very poor and I was pleasantly suprised with the quality of the one we had. There was a large, new, flat screen TV in the living room area and an older style TV in the bedroom. While we anticipated having an issue finding parking, we lucked out both the night we arrived and the second night after going into town for dinner. There were functions going on both nights and I am sure other guests had trouble finding a spot since each night we got the last one available. Considering the fact that it was very windy and raining both nights finding an offsite parking space would not have been enjoyable. This is their biggest problem. We had an issue the last time we stayed and had to park off property and move the car later in the day.
The indoor pool is a great extra with children when you have bad weather and during the winter months. The pool bathrooms were spotless. Towels are supplied at poolside so you don't need to take any from your room.
While the weather did not allow us to use the beach, it is right across the street.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the "Queen" Section as these are newer rooms.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Williamsport, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I read some bad reviews on here before booking this hotel, but the good reviews outweighed the bad. I think the reason for conflicting reviews is based on the room you have and which side of the hotel you stay in. We stayed on the newer side (queen), which was very nice.
The property itself is very nice. Everything was very clean and the staff was very nice. There is a very large indoor pool and hot tub with very comfortable furniture. There are also showers in the bathrooms at the indoor pool. There is a large outdoor heated pool with plenty of lounge chairs, and a poolside bar with a limited food menu. The beach is just across the street from the hotel.
We stayed in an ocean view Jr grand room which is smaller than the standard ocean view grand room. We chose this room because it had the best views of the ocean from the room and the balcony. The ocean view was spectacular from our balcony. I almost didn't want to leave to go to the beach! The one thing I didn't like about room was in the bathroom. It had a pedestal sink and there was no counter space. The only mirror in the room was in the bathroom. Combine this with no fan in the bathroom and it made it a little difficult for 2 people to get ready with a steamed up mirror. This wasn't a huge deal, just a little inconvenient.
This hotel is not exactly handicapped friendly. There is a ramp from the parking lot into the hotel and elevators. However, the elevators are small and there are steps into the indoor and outdoor pool and the hot tub.
They have a very reasonably priced breakfast buffet at the restaurant. We ate breakfast there 2 days. It was a magnificent buffet with every food you can imagine. If you walk away hungry, it’s your own fault.
Every hotel (unless it’s a 5 star) has its bad points. The bad points here are minor in my opinion. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone. The location and convenience to the beach outweigh any minor problems.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Beachluver62
Baltimore
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We recently attended a wedding and reception here, and stayed on site. I was a little worried after reading reviews on another site, but something must have happened between the time those were written (2012) and our stay, because we saw and experienced none of the problems I read about. The lobby was beautiful, the room comfortable and quiet (unusual for a busy hotel!), and the staff quite helpful (except for some attitude from staff at the restaurant). The reception and cocktail hour were great, and the food absolutely fantastic (I have no idea if it was catered by the hotel or someone else). It wasn't cheap, but we enjoyed our weekend away. I would stay here again, and next time I would make use of one of the pools...they both looked great.

Room Tip: There are A LOT of rooms, and many have balconies, some more private than others, and some with bett...