“Wonderful conference retreat!!”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I stayed the weekend of March 7-9 as a conference/group participant. I was so pleasantly surprised by the loveliness of this hotel. I haven't stayed in Cape May before and because it's 'off season', I didn't know what to expect. It's a beautiful,iconic building, warm and welcoming in the lobby,which has incredibly comfortable sofas. Check In was quick and friendly. I made plans with 2 others to share a room. Instead of having to share 2 beds among 3 people, as we expected,we were given a 2 floor suite with 2 beds upstairs along with a shower AND a terrace;downstairs were 2 sofa beds,a stove and a fridge and another full bath. The room was clean and comfortable. The only minor criticism was the sofa bed. My colleague slept on it and said it was not comfortable,but she didn't expect too much from a sofa bed. As part of the conference,we had breakfast buffets and a dinner buffet at Hemingways,the hotel restaurant. Food was plentiful and very good. There was plenty of staff throughout the hotel. Although I didn't swim,I passed by the pool and it was so inviting!
All in all, we were all so pleased and I'm planning a return trip this summer with my family!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank sandyx7
There are newer reviews for The Grand Hotel

Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

We went done for New Years Eve ,2 years in a row.The place was spectacular.The restaurant food was wonderful, along with the buffet and the surf and turf dinner that was included in the package weekend.The band that played both nights name was Groove Place .The band along with the presence of the place made the weekend a success.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank jennamac29
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My family stayed at the Grand during the nicest weekend of the winter! After reading TripAdvisor reviews I knew what to ask for. I wanted a newly renovated room with a balcony and ocean view. I was a little late calling for a room for their "grand splash weekend" so the best room they could offer me was one with a queen size bed and a sofa bed. I have BAD luck with sofa beds. The extremely nice woman who took my reservation assured me that the sofa bed was brand new with a memory foam style mattress. It did seem new, but it was rock hard. Seriously. Hard enough that if you're a side sleeper it will hurt your shoulder and hip. The bedding on the queen size bed was pretty and seemed fairly new. The mattress was firm but ok. The bathroom had a small pedestal style sink and nowhere to put anything down excect the back of the toilet. There was another sink just outside of the bathroom with a small counter around it. Not new but functional. One very odd thing was that right next to this sink was wedged an old refrigerator - maybe a foot and a half wide and 3 and a half foot high. It may have started its life white but it was pretty yellowed. Perched on top of that was a small old microwave that had once been installed under a cabinet. You could tell by the remaining hardwear sticking out of the top. weird. No coffee machine. Friday night was quiet. Saturday night the DJ stopped right at 11. Our neighbors were noisy. I was surprised that we had these senior couples out on their balconies half the night! I found out later that the 'couples' weekend had an offer to stay sunday night free. They had 'do not disturb' signs out while we were getting ready to check out! The room was very clean. The pool was great for the kids. I didnt like how slippery things were. I know - its a pool, things get wet - but these tiles were possibly not right for a pool area. During two visits to the pool we saw 2 kids fall and one adult. The included breakfast at Hemingway's was great. That made up for a lot. What I learned - 'King's row' seems to be motel rooms. The Queen's inn side may be all hotel rooms. The queen's inn side with the southern exposure over looks the pool and the ballroom. The nothern exposure side of the queens inn faces another motel but probably has a similar sideway view of the ocean and I bet it has to be quieter!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank amy m
Reviewed 24 February 2014

This is our second year staying at The Grand Hotel for a winter weekend. It is a great escape! My kids love the heated indoor pool, and the restaurant here is wonderful. While the building is older, the room was clean and the beds were very comfortable. The beachfront location offers great views. We can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank Lisa K
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Stayed at the Grand for Hotel's Valentine's Weekend Special. We were disappointedly assigned a Motel unit (not in the hotel.) Accomodations were a small efficiency, small bathroom, no formal clothes closet, no instructions on how to use the in-room safe.We had to run outside from our room to the main building to get to the dining area.
Two nice dinners, two great breakfast buffets. Butlered hors doevres before the gourmet dinners which included filet mignon, swordfish, veal, crème brulee, veggies, among other goodies. Best thing was the food - plentiful, although filet and fish were over- cooked. Wait service was top notch. DJ and dancing provided two nights. Photo booth, included, was a nice added perk.
Did not get a chance to try indoor pool. Site also has outdoor pool for summer use.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Barbara S
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I am disappointed as a write this review. I have always been a huge fan of The Grand Hotel. In fact, at this moment I have 4 reservations scheduled for later this year. I am at the hotel now for what was advertised as a Valentines Day weekend. First, at check in we were given room 126. I have stayed at this hotel so many times now, I know not to stay in the rooms that are not located in the main building. I asked to be moved but was told they were completely full and couldn't change our room. At the time we checked in, all guests weren't here yet. I felt the room could have been changed. Our room for this weekend is the first room on the outside of the building. This means that everyone on this floor who wants to get into the main building where the restaurant and pool are located, walks past our door. The room is also next to a door where the staircase is located. Therefore, the door opens and closes constantly. The amount of noise makes it impossible to sleep. Next, there are a million children here for a soccer tournament. I have 4 of my own kids but left the home for a "Valentines Weekend". Why would a hotel advertise Couple valentines specials then book the hotel with soccer families at the same time? The pool is filled with children and so is the hot tub. The sign reads no unsupervised children under 16 in the hot tub. I had to ask a woman to remove her child who was in a diaper from the hot tub. The screaming and overall noise level in the pool area was horrible. Also, the guests ordered pizza and had it delivered to the pool, leaving all the mess behind. I notified the front desk, they did nothing. With the children in the pool, it would have been courteous for the parents or hotel staff to keep all under 16 kids out of the hot tub. Please understand, I love children but the hotels error was to have the soccer tournament kids and the Valentines Day couples on the same weekend. My advise when booking a reservation is to ask what groups are staying there when you will be there. Also, do not stay in the outside rooms. Ask for a room in the main building which has been remodeled. I will think twice about the rest of my reservations at The Grand for 2014

Stayed: February 2014
6  Thank Chris1202Howell
Reviewed 14 February 2014

The Grand provides a great venue for time away with friends. The management is very accommodating when assigning rooms as we were within a few rooms of each other. The setting
provided a warm refuge in the cold of winter. The ocean was across the street. Though there was snow on the beach, there was warmth at the indoor pool. For dining, there is Hemingway's right off the lobby. There they serve lunch and dinner as well as a breakfast buffet on the weekends. On Friday and Saturday night there is a DJ for dancing. All without leaving the hotel. For those who want to venture out, there is shopping a short walk away as well,as many beautiful Victorian homes to view. We've been going for over ten years and have never regretted it.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view room in the main building
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple