“Wonderful stay”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I recently stayed at The Grand Hotel for a wedding. The room was huge! I enjoyed the balcony with views of the ocean. The pool looked nice, but I didn't have time to test it out. They had The Simpsons arcade game in their arcade! I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GrimGrinningGhosts
Write a ReviewReviews (1,349)

Reviewed 16 March 2014

In Cape May you either stay at one of their lovely Bed & Breakfasts or you stay at The Grand Hotel. The Grand is beautifully situated right across from the beach. It has about 180 rooms from what I can see and offers specials and packages all the time. There is ample parking, but it is not assigned. As you enter there is a long lobby leading up to the check in desk. In the lobby they have sofas, reading material, brochures, maps and also free coffee in the mornings. The staff is friendly and accommodating at the front desk and throughout the complex. We had a “C” room that was on the 4th floor of the main building just below the wedding room we came for on the 5th and top floor. Our room keys did not work and the floor staff let us into the room. When I went down to the front desk they told us that you cannot put the keys next to your cell phone or the cards become de-magnetized and won’t work (Keep that in mind when you get your keys). The room has a sideways view of the ocean and the downtown beach area and the roofs of the businesses there with their red roofs. The room had a King size bed, sofa, flat screen TV and a small table in front of the couch. The sheets and bath towels where clean and cozy as was the room and bath. There were two sinks, one in the bathroom which has a tub with a shower curtain and a sink just outside, both with mirrors. There is a long closet across from the outside sink and a small refrigerator. There is a balcony with deck chairs. There was no coffee maker as advertised, but I forgot to tell the front desk to get one installed. They have three elevators, two in the lobby and one in the back. They have an indoor and also an outdoor pool for the summer, a small game room, an equipment\gym room, and multiple conference rooms. The wedding was in their top floor Penthouse which had a spectacular panoramic view of the surrounding city and the waves and water by the beach. The quality of the food served was beyond compare, very high quality. I had the best oysters I have had in at least five years there as well as all the other fresh food served. There was a full service bar that stayed open all the time the party went on into the night and they served top notch brand label libations to one and all (The bartenders were very capable and remembered each person’s drink order from the last time you ordered and provided quick and courteous service with a smile). The wait staff was attentive, friendly and accommodating of all requests. From the vantage point of The Penthouse you could see a spectacular sunset and brilliantly lit surreal cloud cover after the sun set (Pictures included so everybody can enjoy them). We also had lunch and breakfast inside their restaurant, “Hemingway’s”. For lunch we had a cob salad and a fish sandwich. Both were excellent and plentiful with the fish sandwich being like a dinner meal in itself. For breakfast they had a buffet that included everything you could want from beverages, cereal, eggs, potatoes, fruit, oatmeal, muffins or Danish, quiet a spread. Service was friendly, quick and attentive both days. They have a full size sit-down bar there and have entertainment weekends. The Grand is for all the family and we highly recommend it for one and all. Don’t miss this gem that sits right next to the beach and the ocean on Beach Avenue in Cape May, the views are worth the trip.

Room Tip: Top floors have a better view of the beach, ocean and the city.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank jdemos
Reviewed 15 March 2014

SO...I am going to be very honest about the good and the bad regarding our stay at this hotel.

The GOOD-- The woman at the front desk was very friendly. The room was clean and the housekeeping staff was excellent. The room had a very nice kitchenette. The indoor pool and hot tub were the perfect temperatures and very nice and clean.

The BAD-- The room we stayed in (in the half of the hotel that has not been redone) was very outdated. The TV did not work properly (many channels seemed "frozen"), there was a half inch crack at the side of the door that left in the icy, icy air from outside (it was an especially cold day) and the heater was in a back room and in the battle to heat the room, the door won. We finally bought duct time to cover the crack. The door to the pool was not working and the hot tub did not seem to have any way to start the jets, so it was like a sort of hot bath. It was very windy out and the glass that was supposed to be in front of the porches during the winter had obviously broken in front of our door, making the issue of cold air seeping through much worse than it otherwise would have been. The wind also made something squeak unmercifully outside (never did figure out what it was), so that when we were in our room we were treated to something akin to a squeaky cart being rolled back and forth outside our door. The toilet didn't flush properly and you had to stand there and hold the handle.

With all that said, we would not stay here again. We have just stayed in so much better. But it is one of the cheaper hotels in Cape May and you could do worse. It was clean and that is so important. And a lot of the stuff that we dealt with had to do with the cold windy weather, which would not be a factor in the summer.

Room Tip: Ask for a third floor room, so you don't have to hear people stomping overhead and be sure to as...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Leslie A
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I stayed the weekend of March 7-9 as a conference/group participant. I was so pleasantly surprised by the loveliness of this hotel. I haven't stayed in Cape May before and because it's 'off season', I didn't know what to expect. It's a beautiful,iconic building, warm and welcoming in the lobby,which has incredibly comfortable sofas. Check In was quick and friendly. I made plans with 2 others to share a room. Instead of having to share 2 beds among 3 people, as we expected,we were given a 2 floor suite with 2 beds upstairs along with a shower AND a terrace;downstairs were 2 sofa beds,a stove and a fridge and another full bath. The room was clean and comfortable. The only minor criticism was the sofa bed. My colleague slept on it and said it was not comfortable,but she didn't expect too much from a sofa bed. As part of the conference,we had breakfast buffets and a dinner buffet at Hemingways,the hotel restaurant. Food was plentiful and very good. There was plenty of staff throughout the hotel. Although I didn't swim,I passed by the pool and it was so inviting!
All in all, we were all so pleased and I'm planning a return trip this summer with my family!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank sandyx7
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

We went done for New Years Eve ,2 years in a row.The place was spectacular.The restaurant food was wonderful, along with the buffet and the surf and turf dinner that was included in the package weekend.The band that played both nights name was Groove Place .The band along with the presence of the place made the weekend a success.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank jennamac29
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My family stayed at the Grand during the nicest weekend of the winter! After reading TripAdvisor reviews I knew what to ask for. I wanted a newly renovated room with a balcony and ocean view. I was a little late calling for a room for their "grand splash weekend" so the best room they could offer me was one with a queen size bed and a sofa bed. I have BAD luck with sofa beds. The extremely nice woman who took my reservation assured me that the sofa bed was brand new with a memory foam style mattress. It did seem new, but it was rock hard. Seriously. Hard enough that if you're a side sleeper it will hurt your shoulder and hip. The bedding on the queen size bed was pretty and seemed fairly new. The mattress was firm but ok. The bathroom had a small pedestal style sink and nowhere to put anything down excect the back of the toilet. There was another sink just outside of the bathroom with a small counter around it. Not new but functional. One very odd thing was that right next to this sink was wedged an old refrigerator - maybe a foot and a half wide and 3 and a half foot high. It may have started its life white but it was pretty yellowed. Perched on top of that was a small old microwave that had once been installed under a cabinet. You could tell by the remaining hardwear sticking out of the top. weird. No coffee machine. Friday night was quiet. Saturday night the DJ stopped right at 11. Our neighbors were noisy. I was surprised that we had these senior couples out on their balconies half the night! I found out later that the 'couples' weekend had an offer to stay sunday night free. They had 'do not disturb' signs out while we were getting ready to check out! The room was very clean. The pool was great for the kids. I didnt like how slippery things were. I know - its a pool, things get wet - but these tiles were possibly not right for a pool area. During two visits to the pool we saw 2 kids fall and one adult. The included breakfast at Hemingway's was great. That made up for a lot. What I learned - 'King's row' seems to be motel rooms. The Queen's inn side may be all hotel rooms. The queen's inn side with the southern exposure over looks the pool and the ballroom. The nothern exposure side of the queens inn faces another motel but probably has a similar sideway view of the ocean and I bet it has to be quieter!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank amy m
Reviewed 24 February 2014

This is our second year staying at The Grand Hotel for a winter weekend. It is a great escape! My kids love the heated indoor pool, and the restaurant here is wonderful. While the building is older, the room was clean and the beds were very comfortable. The beachfront location offers great views. We can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed: February 2014