“Very Happy at The Grand Hotel”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed 24 September 2008

I am completely surprised at all of the terrible reviews that this hotel has gotten on this website.  My family and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights (Friday through Sunday) and the one and only complaint I have is that there were no bathroom hooks to hang our towels and clothes on!  The room was recently renovated (which might explain why there were no hooks yet) and was very nice and the beds were comfortable.  We had no problem with noise at all.  The staff at the front desk were friendly and helpful.  We were looking for an inexpensive, comfortable hotel across from the beach and close to town and that is exactly what we got.  I will definitely return.

1  Thank tripadvsrmember
There are newer reviews for The Grand Hotel

Reviewed 15 September 2008

I will never again stay at this hotel. Myself and three friends of mine were unsatisfied. We all felt that this hotel was not clean and the bedlinens were not clean either. The toilets constantly ran and did not flush correctly. The shower pressure in bathroom was horribly inadaquate. There was a coffee pot in our room, but not a package of coffee or sugar in sight. We had planned this trip far ahead ot time and were so disappointed that it practically ruined our experience. I contacted the front desk about missing balcony chairs and that we all wanted to enjoy the view of the ocean. They did oblidge with two rockers that were absolutly filthy.

Overall, very dissatisfied and I can only ask that traveling tourists do more research in their lodging accomodations.

Stayed: September 2008
4  Thank dkhilliard
Reviewed 9 September 2008

I stayed at the Grand Hotel in Cape May on the weekend of September 5th for two nights. I attended a workshop that weekend (BOW) which was held primarily at the hotel. I must admit after reading several of the reviews, I was a little frightened about what to expect - also, having no choice in our accomodations.

It was a pleasure from beginning to end. Check in/out was effortless. Our room (two double beds and two people) was clean and moderately updated. A bonus was a fridge, microwave, and two sinks.

I came into contact with many hotel personal during my stay and they were all extrememly helpful and pleasant. I even dropped my ring down the public ladies room sink and both front desk and maintainance were quick to help me.

The food was catered by the hotel for all of our meals and the they were wonderful.

The bar/restaurant - Ballyhoo's was very pretty with great priced drinks and entertainment.

Did not use the outdoor or indoor pool but they looked very nice. Great location - right across from the beach with a semi-private balcony with beach view. (Will add photos)

The only thing I can say about the bad reviews is that there are two sections to this hotel. I stayed in the hotel section and the other part by the outside pool seems more like a motel. I never saw that part but I would reccommend a room in the main hotel section.

• Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed 3 September 2008

The grand hotel is a great hotel to stay at. i stayed there for 3 days during the labor day weekend and i was very impresed with the hotel. after reading the reviews i was scared to see the hotel but i like it very much. the rooms were clean and the service was up to par. i did not try the resteraunt so i have no opinion of that, but otherwise the grand hotel is a great hotel and my stay there was excelent!

• Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank ahsan893
Reviewed 2 September 2008

We stayed in one of the townhouse suites at $350 a night. The room was a disgrace. It was dirty, wallpaper hanging off the walls, stains on the carpets, musty smelling, dirty old furniture. I couldn't believe it. I was gald I only booked 1 night. Otherwise I would have left. It was that bad.

5  Thank LilMoore
Reviewed 27 August 2008

The room that we stayed in was a disapointment from the time the door opened when we arrived until the time it closed when we departed. When you walk into the room you are automatically overcome with a musty dirty smell. The smell was consistent and continuous throughout the vacation. The hotel said there was aircondontioning but we didn't feel it. The room during the day was hot and stuffy. At night the temperature would rise and fall with no real consistancy. The common "balconies" were dirty and had a mildew smelling outdoor carpet that I didn't want my children to walk on bare footed. Also, there was this filthy plexiglass that I guess they use to block some of the wind. The glass looks like it wasn't cleaned in months. The outdoor pool which we looked forward to after a long hot day at the beach was so so. I was especially disapointed with the bird feces floating in the pool. There were no staff in sight to even clean the pool. In fact besides for the maid staff I don't think I saw one hotel person the entire vacation. The hotel is in a great location but I don't think I will be staying there again.

5  Thank FNJC
Reviewed 17 August 2008

The nightmare started when we arrived and could not park in the hotel parking lot. The second evening, we had to find street parking because again, no parking spaces. The "Oceanfront View 2 room efficiency" that cost me close to 400.00 a night, was a disgrace. Ocean view was really pushing it. As long as we looked around the indoor pool enclosure, you could kind of see the ocean. The room was very old; TVs had no remotes furnishings screamed 1980's. Just plain horrible. Didn't sleep well due to the late night parties that continued well past 2AM each night of my stay. The outside "shared balcony" of my room became a smoking lounge for the floor. And the icing on the cake was when the miserable "maid" came to the hotel door to inform me that I needed to leave because checkout was 11AM and it was 11:05. I was told checkout was noon when I checked in but, this hotel thrives on misinformation. DO NOT WASTE A PENNY ON THIS PLACE!

5  Thank PSTechy