“Great Location, So-so accommodation”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed 31 August 2009

The service at this hotel was sufficient. Rooms were fairly clean and it appears they are renovating some of the more dated ones. Our view was horrendous (onto the roof of the ballroom facility), however the hotel gives you the option to choose a room with a view for a bit of extra money when you are booking. Furthermore, because our room was above the ballroom, we could hear loud music playing for a wedding reception until about 11:00pm. I imagine this would be troublesome to guests who bring young children. The location is right on the beach and near the boardwalk. This hotel is fine for folks who are just looking for a place to crash between sight-seeing and beach going ventures. If I return to Cape May, I will likely book earlier and spend more time looking for a place with better value. The Grand Hotel of Cape May was rather pricey for the level of accommodation we received.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MegglesBaltimore_MD
There are newer reviews for The Grand Hotel

Reviewed 19 August 2009

Do not land here for any reason. The room we stayed in stinked, stank, stunk. There is mold and mildew growing in both HVAC units in our room. my wife got stuck in the bathroom the first day because the door knobs were so worn out, I almost had to kick the door in to get her out. We have been here for 4 days now and for the last 2 we have been looking to stay at a different hotel. The walls are so thin you should get a multiroom discount. It is sad to say I could go on and on but , I have to find another place to stay before I get a lung infection.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dcw47
Reviewed 14 August 2009

We stayed at the Grand Hotel in Cape May, NJ in August of 2009. It was our family's first trip to Cape May. The area was quaint and old, different from the commercialized beaches we normally go to, mostly Myrtle Beach area. While the age and condition of the Hotel, and the whole area, were different from what I expected, we had a wonderful stay at the Grand Hotel. We loved their newly renovated restaurant, EJ Hemingway's!!! The food was fantastic, it really exceeded our expectations. We had dinner at Hemingways the first nite and then had a great buffet breakfast the following morning. My husband and I had a fantastic dinner of crab stuffed shrimp and a veal and seafood(shrimp,scallops and crab) pasta that was soooo good!! The second nite we ended up having dinner at Hemingways again because of two cranky, exhausted children and, again, my husband and I had a wonderful dinner of Porterhouse Steak. I am not a huge fan of buffet breakfast, but this is all they offer and it is GOOD!! You can place a few individual orders-eggs, waffles but this is not really necessary because they do a great job on the buffet with scramble eggs, Eggs benedict and sausage gravy!!! Our room was basic, recently renovated (except the kitchenette area) with a warm decor, the beds were comfortable-Our king was very comfortable. The indoor pool was great and had very nice patio furniture around the pool deck. The outdoor pool, in the middle of the parking lot, seemed odd to me at first, but again, this is an old seaside town, not a huge planned development in Myrtle. The pool bar was great, service was a little slow. The Hotel had something everyday for the kids, the first day it was a magic show and the second day it was a caricature artist. Both did a great job! Our last day, we watched dolphins swimming off the beach from the balcony walkway outside our room. Overall, we would stay at the Grand Hotel again. Cape May is a quaint old seaside town that, while has some commercial elements (all the beach stores selling tshirts and that genre that you typically find on the highways in Myrtle), has not flattened all their old quaint motor inns and built new state of the art condos. The proprietors of The Grand Hotel are doing a good job of renovating and updating their property while maintaining the old seaside feeling of this quaint town!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank fanningfour
Reviewed 10 August 2009

I am lifelong fan of the Jersey Shore. In Cape May, I prefer to stay at the Grand Hotel and visit here a few times each year. I am very familiar with this town and my wife and I have stayed at both Bed and Breakfast Inns and large hotels and can say that the Grand suits our needs perfectly. Our most recent visit was with our two grandchildren, so I appreciate the hotel even more. We had a rainy day on our stay so the indoor pool and the game room were a godsend for us. Having a good restaurant right in the hotel is also a big plus. I am somewhat surprised at some comments that are posted as we have always had a good experience with the accommodations as well as the staff. The Grand has made some much needed improvements to it’s facilities over the last few years and continues to improve. Whenever we come here we always meet other guests who are also repeat visitors so they must be doing something right. I think if you check out other places in Cape May you will find that for the value and location the Grand Hotel is a very nice place to stay.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank johnjacko
Reviewed 9 August 2009

260.00 Per Night
Room smelled of Mildew
Wifi Access Additional Fee Per Day (just greedy)
The outdoor Pool Was Nice but beers were 7.00 each
Parts of the place are new and looked nice, the older part where I stayed was very run down. Buckets catching water in the hallways.
Had washing machines which is cool. Some were broken
Had refregirator which was cool (dirty but cool)
No hot water in Sink. It had he knob for hot water but just cold water came out.
Rates seemed complely random. called several time got rate from 150 to 400 per night
TV was from the the 80's and got about 11 channels
Overall Creepy Place, I checked out a day early

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank btravlin11
Reviewed 8 August 2009

Older reviews of this hotel were not very flattering so when we booked our trip we were unsure of what we would be encountering. We were pleasantly surprised to find that the hotel was everything other people said is wasn't. The room was VERY clean, spacious and we had a great view of the ocean! The staff were friendly and accommodating. Our room also had a refrigerator and microwave which proved to be beneficial for making a quick breakfast or lunch. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice stay in Cape May.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank pisces3attanasio
Reviewed 4 August 2009

Moldy, mildew, torn wallpaper all over, outlets that sparked, exposed, dripping pipes... this is what you get when you book a deluxe, oceanfront efficiency, folks. The rooms are nothing at all like they show on the hotel's website. We weren't expecting the Waldorf Astoria for the price, just a simple, clean oceanfront lodging. Instead, we thought we checked into the Bates Motel. This place probably saw better days in the 19th century.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family