“Worst hotel stay EVER!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Grand Hotel
Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Worst hotel stay EVER!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2010

I stayed @ the Grand with my husband and two small children for a long weekend. When we checked in Friday night everything appeared normal until we returned to the room from dinner to find a wedding reception going on right under our room and drunk people up and down the hallways until well after 3am. I probably would have just gotten over this fact had in not occured the second night with not only one reception below us but another above. The music was so horribly loud and when I called I was told that their receptions had priority. So we were up until after 2 am the second night. Needless to say no type of compensation, not even an apology. I have never had such poor service or rude staff as this. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone and have made all my friends and family aware.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank ang1075

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Polish first
Pgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2010

Has a wonderful heated pool - the pool is set back from the main street. It also has an indoor pool, but we never used it. The location is at the "quite" end of Beach Street. Entrance to the beach is just across the road. We stayed in an efficiency with a small refrig. The rooms could use some updating. If you plan to walk everywhere, it is a hike to the busy end of town. The hotel dinning room - Heminways - had a rude hostess at breakfast.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Mantua, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2010

As we pulled into The Grand's parking lot, for the beginning of our extended weekend in Cape May, a lot of childhood memories starting coming back. My family had stayed at The Grand most summers during my childhood. It had been years since I've been there and this was my first time as an adult.

I was really impressed with the place. It has definitely undergone quite a facelift since I was a kid. The lobby was very nice and clean. The receptionist was extremely friendly and started our weekend off on the right foot. This may sound strange but the place had a really nice vibe to it. It had a great shore feel. Our rooms were very clean, had fantastic beds, and we wound up getting a great view. The hotel has a really great indoor pool as well as an outdoor. I used the indoor pool every morning to swim some laps and get my blood flowing. Another fantastic plus about the hotel is it's location to the beach. It took us about 3 minutes from the time we left the room until we were lounging in our chairs by the ocean.

Hemmingway’s was a really nice plus. This is the restaurant connected to the hotel by the lobby. What a great place! We wound up eating here for almost every meal. We ate at the bar and had sit down diner as well. The restaurant was clean, food was awesome and our bartenders were super friendly. The Grand was also a very short walking distance to the center of town where all the quaint shops, pubs and boardwalk are located. Hemmingway’s made a perfect place to retire to after walking the town at night.

It was really nice to revisit The Grand. We were so impressed with the place and location that we want to have our wedding there. We wanted to get married on a beach but were stumped because we didn't want to make family and friends travel to the islands. The Grand is perfect! It was such a relief when the idea hit us, "Lets get married here." We just started talking to their wedding team last week and it's been smooth sailing thus far.

I definitely aim to make staying at The Grand my own tradition from here on out. There really isn't anything like Cape May. It has such charm. Just like my family visited when I was a child, I want to start the tradition of bringing my own family here. We were thoroughly impressed with our trip and my fiancé really liked it a lot. This was her first stay in Cape May. She's already making plans for our return trip this summer.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fivehead333
US of A
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2010

The price was normal for the area. The location was great. Parking was ample. Room reasonably clean. A couple of things that take this out of the running in being a Great Hotel.

** Issues:

>>> First: Where is the coffee?? no coffee pot in the rooms, no coffee at the desk/lobby. The closest coffee shop was 1/2 mile away at Zoe's. You think they could offer guests coffee??

>>> Second: Internet access available, but they charge you $10/ day. That is an outrage. Should be no charge. They have it for the hotel for their purposes. The amount they charge for the room, should cover this cost.

>>> Third: First time I saw a coin dispenser for the Ice Machine.

>>> Fourth: How about adding a few more wash cloths and hand towels. No hand towels, and only two wash cloths. Can they spare it.

>>> Fifth: When checking out, Patrice or Patrica who checked us out, you think they would say, "how was your stay?" " Thank you for staying with us." , NO, I got "you're all set", no emotion, no effort to connect with the customer. That is something that cost nothing, but pays off in dividends. The rest of the staff when checking in and any time I went to the front desk were nice and friendly.

I am not a big traveler, but in the last year I have stayed at about a dozen hotels along the east coast. Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn, Choice Hotels, to mention a few. All had free ice, internet and coffee in the room and/or available in the hotel lobby .

Next time, it will be a different hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank THORofEastAmwell
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2010

Just spent the weekend with my husband and two kids (3 and 1). Stayed at the two room efficiency room which is great for families. Near the beach for tanning (adults) and playing with the sand (kids) and close enough to return to the hotel's indoor pool where the water was warm. The pool area was very comfortable and clean. The rooms could use some upgrades but the price and location were ideal.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
jersey Shore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2010

Very nice indoor pool ~ Staff is helpful and polite ~ Beds are comfy but the rooms could use a little updating. Can't beat the price and we would stay at the Granf Hotel again :-)

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Nutley, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2010

After visiting the Grand for fifteen years it is nice to return each year to see and enjoy upgrades in decor. This year, seeing, and dining at, the all new Hemingways Restaurant was a special treat!
Always a friendly staff and steps away from the beach.
Don't exceed 25mph posted limits in Cape May...ever!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business