“Great Time in Cape May” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
germantown, md
“Great Time in Cape May”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2007

my family stayed in cape may in the beging of july and had a wonderful time. we stayed at the grand in a 2 story room. the room was large and clean. the pools were wonderful, both were warm and clean. wee ate at the hotel's resturant and it was good. Check in was a little slow but, staff was friendly and helpful! All in all the grand did a good job and cape may is wonderful resort for young families. the pool bar and pool service was a plus.

• Liked — Pools
  • Disliked — Very Busy
11 Thank spd118

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Polish first
New York, NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2007

No, I will not stay at Grand Hotel again. It does have 2 very nice pools (indoor and outdoor) and we had shared use of the sun deck, but we were not happy with the rest (and neither were our friends who came with us for vacation)
1. The staff is not rude, but not helpful either. You will hear sweet voice telling you they cannot accommodate your request.
2. Pools - bring your own pool towels! They have none.
3. Old rooms, hallways
4. We had #8 units. For a unit with kitchen, it had a very limited number of utensils. No glasses, no teapot.
5. Rooms look MUCH bigger on their website pictures than in reality
6. The worst: cleaning service....what cleaning service??? There was none. Unhappy looking lady came to the room pretending to do something, however, did not do much besides making a bed (something I can live without actually) Even after I called the front desk to complain about it - same day they still left sink full of dirty dishes in our room. Did not vacuum either!
7. The hotel is walking distance to restaurants, BUT if you have small children, its still a walk! There are hotels closer that charge the same price as Grand hotel.
8. I was not impressed with highly advertised on their website Ballyhoo restaurant. Poor food quality. I had better.
9. Smell of garbage in the hallway downstairs and by the outside pool.
10.For $230 a night, I expected better from this hotel...

• Liked — Pools
  • Disliked — Dirty, no cleaning service
2 Thank Kate31

Travellers are raving about these Cape May hotels

PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2007

My Family just returned from The Grand Hotel and it was a great place to stay. There is an outdoor pool, a BEAUTIFUL indoor pool and it is right across the street from the beach! It is so convenient for a family with children because,with the indoor pool, there is something to do early in the day before you would be ready to go to the beach, late in the day after the beach and even if the weather turns bad! My children were never bored! The overall staff is friendly, the room was great and it was clean! The restaurant has good food at a great price. It is not a fancy 4 star restaurant like many of the restaurants in Cape May and it does not carry those price tags either! For a family with children, it is a convenient and casual stop for meals on the way to a busy day! They have an amazing all you can eat breakfast buffet! Check out this hotel for your family vacation! We will definitely return next year!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
10 Thank Vacationer099
Newark, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2007

May family and I just returned from our summer vacation in Cape May. Although we have been vacationing in Cape May since the late 90’s, we’ve stayed at the Grand Hotel the last three. We love the Grand! The staff is sooooo friendly and helpful. The indoor pool is awesome, especially if the weather outside is not! Our room was clean, and the food in the hotel restaurant was good. Each morning, we had the all you can eat breakfast buffet in the restaurant – it was a perfect start to the day. If you are coming to Cape May, you should consider staying at the Grand. We’ll be back at the Grand next summer!

• Liked — Indoor Pool
  • Disliked — Nothing!
11 Thank njvacationeer
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2007

Where do I begin...We stayed in what supposedly was the "best"room there....At $400+ a night and 8 people in the room, we were alloted 6 towels !....We had 2 powers outages while we were there, Fire alarm went off at one point (fire engines and all were there) and guests all in the parking lot and NOBODY came to tell any of these guest what was going on !...We had 2 rooms, spent over $3000 for 5 nights and 2 nights that we were there, could not find a parking spot on premises and had a park on the street....Electrical problems with the stove were reported twice, nobody ever came to check it out so we never used it !......We were very disappointed....room itself was no to bad...we made our own beds every day but had to beg for towels and a vacuum from the maid every day.....Would not go again...to nervous about the power outages and fire alarms !! Would rather spend my $400+ elsewhere...

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything Else
2 Thank bellgal23
syracuse, new york
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2007

Every year I go through the different web sites to find a hotel that will suit the needs of our family. Since we only have one week to relax and enjoy our surroundings, this is an extremely important decision. The last two years we have vacationed in Maine and absolutely had a wonderful time. This year my son moved to New York and I decided Cape May would be the spot so that he could join us for a couple of days.Unfortunately I chose the Grand Hotel. Now I do realize it is a resort hotel, but what we experienced was not acceptable. Checking in seemed easy enough except the room I had booked back in February must have gone to someone else. I asked for an efficiency and it was called the VIP room. That is a joke! The VIP room consisted of two double beds (very small) and a refrigerator that did not work at all. Some efficiency. I inquired into this with the desk and she totally blew me off! She said when did you make your reservation a long time ago? I said back in February. She said that since then they turned their computers over and lost a lot of information. So her way of rectifying this was by saying I can probably dig up a coffee pot but probably not a microwave. I asked her to try her best. With that a microwave showed up but no coffee pot. As far as the condition of the room, please. It was dirty, dirty, dirty. There were jelly stains on the wall, bugs in the lights, the floor in the bathroom screamed renovate me! My family and I slept on top of the bed for fear of the linen not being cleaned properly. The last day there, the maid never showed up! Which I think probably happens quite often! If I had little children I certainly would have checked out.
Cape May is lovely but to rich for this family! You have to pay each day to go on the beach which the hotel does not disclose. The restaurants are expensive and so is everything else. We will not be returning to Cape May and I hope that you read the warnings that I and others have given you. Should you decide on Cape May, research another hote. Or consider Maine for your next vacation!

• Liked — indoor pool
  • Disliked — everything else
2 Thank erin123
Warren, NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2007

We stayed at the Grand Hotel in June 2007. It was our second time after 12 year ago. The first time, we stayed in a suite. This time, we stayed in the older section. The room and bathroom were clean so the problem is not the housekeepers. It's that the hotel owners have not updated the bathroom. It was pathetic. It needed an exhaust fan to release steam. There were 4 of us and we don't take long or very hot showers. But without an exhaust fan, the mirrors and counters were dripping. The fixtures, sinks and bathtub, badly need replacing. The ceiling tile needs replacing. The ceilings were rather low. The towels are very thin and threadbare. The bedspreads need replacing. The hallways' wallpaper needs replacing or at least gluing. The floors in the elevators need replacing. Overall, the hotel's owners have badly neglected updating the rooms -- they updated only the front desk area. I avoided the hotel's Ballyhoo's restaurant. There are many better places to go out and eat at every meal. The beds, however, were very comfortable and the hotel is quiet (maybe because people were staying elsewhere?).

• Liked — The heated outdoor pool
  • Disliked — Dingy (needs-updating) bathroom
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family