“A great stay - our kids wanted to come back the very next weekend!”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
PA
“A great stay - our kids wanted to come back the very next weekend!”
Reviewed 16 December 2010

I was a little nervous looking forward to our stay having read the mixed reviews here on TripAdvisor. Seems like people either had really great stays or really bad ones. I am happy to say our stay was wonderful.
We came down for a two night stay to enjoy the Christmas activities in Cape May with our three children (ages 5, 4, and 2). We took advantage of their Rhapsody weekend package which included two nights accomodations, four passes for breakfast and two passes for dinner entrees. It was a good deal at a good price.
Pros:
- Our room (#122) was clean, comfortable and was not outdated. It had a kitchenette with granite countertops, a rather modern microwave oven and a pretty new looking coffee maker.
- The restaurant (Hemmingways) was really good and the people were very friendly/helpful.
- The pool and hot tub were very nice (our kids love to swim). We loved the look of the pool and surrounding seating. Christmas music was piped in as we swam making it a really neat atmosphere.
- I think the timing of our vacation was just right. There were other families with children of similar age to ours staying there. Santa and Mrs. Claus visited the children at breakfast and sat for pictures with the kids in the lobby.
- The hotel is right across from the beach, so from the second floor up you've got a great view of the beach & ocean.
Cons:
- I agree with a previous reviewer - the chlorine in the pool was darn strong. It was stinging the heck out of me and my daughter's eyes. I usually don't have issues with pool chlorine, but this time I had to run out to CVS for some Visine.
- I found the beds a little too firm for my liking. I'm sure everyone has their own personal preferences, but I like a little more give in my mattress.
- If I had to nit-pick, the hotel isn't much to look at from the outside. The inside is nice, but not opulent. But if that sort of thing is important to you then you're probably better off looking into Congress Hall or one of the B&B's in the historic district.

Overall this was a really nice Christmas vacation. My daughter said it was a great vacation and asked to come back the very next weekend. There's plenty to see and do in the area around the holidays (which makes me wonder why anyone would give a flip about the hotel's internet service).

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Harleysville_Bill

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 November 2010

I usually am not picky when it comes to hotels. When I first came and entered and checked in they slammed the room card on the table, I was going to say something but I stopped myself, we rented out a two floor suite. The room was probably built the in 1954 and smelt like mildew. My 13 year daughter went in the shower and gagged from the smell and the pubic hairs on floor. Also upstairs the view was great but there was a sink in the bedroom. Then we went to the pool all the chlorine in the pool burned my eyes till I couldn't see. Then we headed down to the restaurant Hemingway, the steak was good but the Crab Cakes or I should refer that to Crrappp Cakes we absolutely DISGUSTING. Also the service was bad to, it took 40 minutes just for our soup. Then we went back to the room, and the toilets weren't flushing. Throughout the whole vacation we called someone to come and fix them 6 times and each time took 20 minutes and every time someone would fix them they got [--] on the floor from there plunger while they were fixing that my kids were board because the internet was 10$ a day! Over all the vacation sucked and I will never go back.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank mess987

Travellers are raving about these Cape May hotels

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 November 2010

My husband & I stayed at this hotel and had a wonderful time. They hotel was very clean, service was pleasant and our bed was extremely comfortable. We ate lunch at the hotel restaurant & had delicious sandwiches & soup. Had drinks at the bar Saturday night and did a little dancing. We would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nan099
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed 24 October 2010

As part of the reunion committee I would like to express my gratitude to the staff at the Grand who made our 50th reunion a wonderful experience. The accommodations, the food, and the assistance of the staff were fantastic.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank mangler63
Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 October 2010

This hotel seems to be one where you can sometimes get a one night stay. It is best enjoyed off season. Hemmingways Resturant is an upgrade from the old Bally Ho's ...The swimming pool and jacuzzi area is much better than years ago...We stayed in a one bedroom efficiency and it was clean, and king size bed was comfortable. there were also king size pillows to go on the king size bed...which sometimes dosent happen...The fridge & cooking area in the room was upgraded...The room was a little hamp/humid...outside temps were in the upper 50's...so the air cond had to be on to keep the air in the room from being stale...This hotel is at least 40 years old and you can tell that there is maintenance that is constant..The only thing that really got under my crawl is that the internet is NOT free. You can link to the hotel wireless network for $9.95/ a day. That was highly inconvenient. We have stayed here about 8-10 times since 1983....this is the best I have seem the property......it is worth checking out....

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ez2par78
Great Neck, NY
Reviewed 8 October 2010

very nice, went for a wedding. Catering was excellent

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AndrewManager
Cape May Court House, New Jersey
Reviewed 30 September 2010

As the oldest of 47 cousins, I was charged with running the Earley Family Reunion. As you can imagine, this can be a "no good deed goes unpunished" assignment. After a search of the wed, the Grand Hotel seemed to be the hotel that could meet all our needs. I made one phone call and one visit and I was done The hotel staff took care of the rest. We arrived on Friday night to a coctail reception that was great. The entire weedend was much more than I had expected. We had a sit-down dinner on Saturday night, every thing was perfect. The manager watched over every little thing to make sure every thing was perfect. There were special requests made that were taken care of instantly. Our bartender was pleasant and professonal and could not do enough for our party. The big suprise was the buffet breakfast. It was like something off a high-end cruse ship. By Sunday morning I was a hero to my family. They couldn't thank me enough for all the work I did. All I did was choose the Grand.

• Stayed September 2010