I was a little nervous looking forward to our stay having read the mixed reviews here on TripAdvisor. Seems like people either had really great stays or really bad ones. I am happy to say our stay was wonderful.
We came down for a two night stay to enjoy the Christmas activities in Cape May with our three children (ages 5, 4, and 2). We took advantage of their Rhapsody weekend package which included two nights accomodations, four passes for breakfast and two passes for dinner entrees. It was a good deal at a good price.
- Our room (#122) was clean, comfortable and was not outdated. It had a kitchenette with granite countertops, a rather modern microwave oven and a pretty new looking coffee maker.
- The restaurant (Hemmingways) was really good and the people were very friendly/helpful.
- The pool and hot tub were very nice (our kids love to swim). We loved the look of the pool and surrounding seating. Christmas music was piped in as we swam making it a really neat atmosphere.
- I think the timing of our vacation was just right. There were other families with children of similar age to ours staying there. Santa and Mrs. Claus visited the children at breakfast and sat for pictures with the kids in the lobby.
- The hotel is right across from the beach, so from the second floor up you've got a great view of the beach & ocean.
- I agree with a previous reviewer - the chlorine in the pool was darn strong. It was stinging the heck out of me and my daughter's eyes. I usually don't have issues with pool chlorine, but this time I had to run out to CVS for some Visine.
- I found the beds a little too firm for my liking. I'm sure everyone has their own personal preferences, but I like a little more give in my mattress.
- If I had to nit-pick, the hotel isn't much to look at from the outside. The inside is nice, but not opulent. But if that sort of thing is important to you then you're probably better off looking into Congress Hall or one of the B&B's in the historic district.
Overall this was a really nice Christmas vacation. My daughter said it was a great vacation and asked to come back the very next weekend. There's plenty to see and do in the area around the holidays (which makes me wonder why anyone would give a flip about the hotel's internet service).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Oceanfront Grand Hotel of Victorian Cape May is one of the largest Resort and Convention Centers along the Jersey Cape. The Grand Hotel can accommodate everyone, from Business Groups to Wedding Receptions and Vacationing Families to Family Reunions. The Grand Hotel of Cape May is dedicated to recreating the grandeur of a by-gone era while providing all of the modern comforts and conveniences for a most enjoyable stay. The perfect place to dance, dine, relax, swim and sun in Victorian Cape May. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Odigeo, Priceline and Traveltool, S.L.U. so you can book your The Grand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Cape May
- Grand Hotel Of Cape May
- The Grand Hotel Cape May, New Jersey