“a great Inn with wonderful atmosphere!!”
Review of The Virginia Hotel

The Virginia Hotel
Ranked #11 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We stayed at the Virginia Hotel/Inn in Cape May and it was fabulous,the decor in the Inn and the Rooms were just beautiful..if you like quaint ,atmosphere,great food at the restaurant the staff couldn't be more helpful.The room we had was so graciously decorated the bedding was soft and very comfortable ,we love,love loved it.
We are headed back in October with my brother from Alaska to celebrate our birthdays!! can't wait.They give you a continental breakfast that is just delicious..you must go.

Room Tip: all the rooms are great.
  • Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wgg53776

Reviewed 11 September 2011

Went with another couple to the Virginia and had a great weekend. The rooms were very comfortable and quiet and the staff was very accomadating. Complimentary breakfast was included homemade muffins and fresh fruit. The hotel definitly paid attention to details. One of the best hotels I have stayed at and really enjoyed ourselves.

1  Thank acctman12000
Reviewed 7 September 2011

Just came back from an overnight visit. Beautiful old hotel with lots of special touches. Very clean, very quiet room. Spa shower was a added bonus. Didn't opt for the free continental breakfast, but it sounded like it would have been sufficient. Mad Batter next door makes wonderful full breakfasts. No parking at the hotel, but the valet service was very quick in getting the car to and from the Congress Hall parking lot. Definitely would consider a return trip.

2  Thank vekkeo
Reviewed 5 September 2011

My husband and I recently spent 3 days at the Virginia for a getaway at the end of the summer. To sum up: it was wonderful. Not beachfront, but a very short stroll to the beach, and located on beautiful Jackson Street. We walked everywhere, except for one day when we rented bikes ($12 for all day until 6:00pm, and they include a lock - although be forewarned: the bikes are pretty old-school and creaky - no gears!) from the Virginia's sister property, Congress Hall, and rode down to the Sunset Beach area....

And now, the details: check-in was easy as could be, with a helpful bellman right there to whisk the car away to valet parking. There's no elevator, as it's a historic building, and we were on the 3rd floor (the highest), but that was fine. If anyone has mobility difficulties, it might be wise to ask for a room on a lower floor when booking.

As for the room itself, it was extremely nice - plenty of room, a supremely comfortable bed (which I already miss!), terrific light, a very good air conditioner (so good that we often turned it off!), and the sound of seagulls every morning. And although Cape May is known for its Victorian sensibility, I was quite taken with the fact that the Virginia felt more Art Deco than Victorian - the decor was much cleaner and less "Aunt Edna's Attic" than many places we saw... The bathroom featured a rainwater showerhead, which was very nice, and the shampoo/conditioner/lotion/etc. were lovely.

Breakfast was available delivered to our room or delivered to us on the outside veranda - a very nice option. It consisted of coffee or tea, choice of juice, yogurt, very good fruit, and a basket of pastries. Nothing terribly outstanding, but quite nice. Also - it's included in the room rate!

One of the nicest features (in my opinion) is that you can go to the (fabulous) beach and bring only your bathing suit and flipflops. They provide you with lounge chairs, towels, and even a beach umbrella. There are changing cabanas as well, but as we were there right after Hurricane Irene, they'd been dismantled and were just in the process of being re-erected. We'd ordered a picnic basket lunch from the hotel - it was $32 for 2 people, and in my opinion, it was worth every penny. There was 1) fruit and cheese, 2) sodas and waters, 3) yummy sandwiches (your choice from a menu of 3 or 4), and 4) delightful cookies. All hand-delivered right to our lounge chairs. We felt so decadent!

We had dinner one night at the Ebbitt Room (we were celebrating a special occasion) and it was seriously expensive, but quite nice. (I'll review that separately.) Then we had drinks at the Ebbitt Room bar afterwards - outstanding! With any luck, Leo will be your bartender - he's a true artiste!

The front desk staff at the Virginia can't be beat, and the bar/restaurant employees were terrific as well. It's not cheap - but it was totally worth it. I wish we could have stayed longer!

Two little things to remember, though: housekeeping is not terribly generous with towels, so be sure to ask for extra (which I'm sure wouldn't be a problem), and bring enough cash to tip a LOT.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KatyMightHave63
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Credible history: Recently retired Area Vice President Hilton Hotels Mid-Atlantic Region, my family collectively working for Hilton 138 years--I know a quality/price relationship when I see it. The Virginia Hotel surpassed all my expectations!
Housekeeping: Having managed a beach resort in California for 5 years, suntan oils and,
wet bathing suits etc. The Virginia housekeeping was impeccable.
Reservation/Front Desk: Accurate, well trained, friendly, sincere in their effort to be of
service.
Guest Room Quality: Well decorated and "guest friendly".
Food and Beverage: A genuine surprise and memorable experience! Congratulations
Chef and service staff.
Staff: The highlight and key to this hotel is a friendly, well trained, empowered and a
professional collection of team members. From the car valet on arrival to the front
desk at check out, their only focus was to welcome us into "their home".
Do I recommend or will I return? Already told our adult children we intend to reserve a cottage for the whole family next season. I do not compare a large Hilton to the Virginia--
the Virginia would excel in all areas.
When you leave a hotel, all you do is pay your bill and leave with a memory. The Virginia left my wife and I with a very solid quality and professional experience and we will treturn.

Room Tip: Chek if room has tub or just stand up shower. If you have a disability, check on floor level--no el...
2  Thank irish41003
Reviewed 25 August 2011

This is a beautiful and relaxing place to stay, my wife and I just spent five days there for our 35th anniversary. Pros: Charm, level of service, cleanliness, free continental breakfast and beach setup, spacious front porch, short walk to beach and shops, bar and excellent restaurant on premises, access to Congress Hall pool, fast valet service. Cons: Expensive, limited breakfast, smallish rooms. The Virginia Hotel combines the charm of a B&B with most of the amenities of a luxury hotel. We booked a 2nd floor room with a small side porch. I wasn't expecting a view, but I was disappointed there was also no overhang -- this would be very easy to create and would make the porch a welcome area to sit when it's raining, which it did for 2 of the days we were in residence. The Cape Resorts staff at the hotel and elsewhere were unfailingly friendly and helpful. The menu choices for breakfast are minimal, but it's delightful to have it served to you on a tray on the front porch or their lounge. If you want a full breakfast, the Mad Batter is right next door. Great having a beach setup with chairs, towels and umbrella provided by the staff, as well as optional on-beach food service.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KeithFromNY
Reviewed 24 August 2011

We check in on a Friday and the young lady at the desk was bright and cheery. It seemed to us like she must have lived there because she told us about little places to go that we would have Never found ourselves (this was very helpful). We needed our car several times and it was always delivered within minutes...The room was beautiful and clean (although we didn't spend much time in there). We did eat at the restaurant "The Ebbit Room" and it was wonderful. We have never been to Cape May before but after this trip to the Virginia.....we will be back. We found everyone to be very busy but more that willing to stop and answer any questions that we had and even add to the conversation. I would highly recommend the Virginia Hotel to my friends and family. See you next year!!! Thanks for a great vacation.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family