“Great Old-Style Hotel”
Review of The Virginia Hotel

The Virginia Hotel
Ranked #11 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed 3 November 2011

Visited Cape May for the first time in October and thoroughly enjoyed the Virginia Hotel. I found the staff to be professional, courteouse, and helpful. The valet service is a nice touch and the continental breakfast brought to you on a silver tray (either in your room, in the lounge, or on the porch) is very nice indeed. The restaurant was nice but pricey. The location in Cape May is dead center and very close to the beach. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, if you can afford it, especially 'in season'.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 October 2011

Traveled in late October with a friend to photograph the bird migration. We went during the week so it would be less crowded then on a weekend. But at this time of year it felt more like a ghost town...which I happened to like. Really liked the character of The Virginia, an old beautiful Victorian style mansion, well decorated. We had gotten a double bed room, very quaint, clean, comfortable beds. The only issue was that our windows didn't open (we were on the second floor) and my friend has sinus issues so we couldn't put the AC on, so it got a little stuffy. There is a restaurant there, continental breakfast included, really nice little bar and lounge and a great front porch to just relax.

The location is great, half block from beach and in the center of everything...to shopping and restaurants.

Just a warning...as this is an older building, we could here the guests above us when they showered...pipes are loud. And this not handicap accessible...no elevators that I saw. There is also Valet service, since there isn't any long term parking on the street...so prepare to tip a lot.

I would definitely go back again!

Room Tip: There are no elevators so if you stay on the upper floors, have the staff take your bags. Our second...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank like_jane
Reviewed 27 October 2011

We've had the pleasure of staying at The Virginia in Cape May many 4 times. Their valet service is especially welcoming. This boutique hotel is immaculate! Rooms are fresh, sparkling clean & attractively decorated. Staff is courteous. Their restaurant, the Ebbitt Room, is a wonderful experience with a fabulous menu! Location is ideal ~ 1/2 block to the ocean & 1/2 block to main street mall shops.

Room Tip: I don't believe The Virginia has a bad room.
  • Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank maddiebMiddletown
Reviewed 24 October 2011

I disagree with most of the reviewers. I realize most people visit Cape May as tourists, but I was there on business. I choose it for its price, its location, and its good reviews. I found the service poor (nice people but couldn't tell me anything including where to get coffee and a bagel!). The breakfast is included, but it doesn't start until 8 so I couldn't get anything except self-serve coffee. The room I had was a nightmare...room 209 (and 211 and 309 and 311) are next to a gigantic, LOUD outside heating unit with a motor that ran all night. Next to my room was the ice room which ran off and on. I couldn't sleep. Parking is off premises which wasn't clear to me when I booked. The restaurant, although pricey, was excellent. I would eat there again even if I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank teejay86
VirginiaMGT, Manager at The Virginia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2011

Dear TeeJay86,
I am sorry that you did not find your stay to be satisfactory. We do strive to keep each guest as happy as possible but it sounds as though that was not the case during your stay. It seems as though noise was the major factor in your disappointing stay and although the Front Desk tried several alternative options, it seems we could not solve the problem. Please accept my apologies. In the future if you were to give us a second chance I would recommend asking for a room on the ocean side of the building which has far less noise. As for breakfast, unfortunately because our breakfast pastries are delivered fresh daily and do not arrive until approx 8am. This makes serving breakfast prior to that time very difficult for us unless it is old product we are serving and that is not an option for us. Again my apologies and I do hope you will give us a second chance.

Reviewed 11 October 2011

My wife booked the Pink cottage for my 40th. We were there in April which is off season. The cottage was very clean and beautifully decorated. The building was aging a bit as the old wood windows were clanking during a storm. Although this could be distracting on a normal night - we stayed during a severe thunder storm and the clanking window actually added to the mood and was almost mystical. I think the adult beverages contributed to that. The thermostat didn't seem to work and we had difficulty controlling the temperature. Even though the building is aging it is an excellent cottage. Those who frequent shore towns see the classic beautiful older buildings being torn down with cardboard boxes that all look the same being put up. I say leave the older buildings in tact. They are a charm and give towns like Cape May their distinction. I'll take an older clean building over those cardboard boxes every day. If you need the best and newest of everything stay away and more importantly skip Cape May. This hotel and town have charm that can't be found in many places. The beach is a few steps away and the shopping and restaurants are right up the street.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank HB92397
Reviewed 28 September 2011

We actually live in Cape May, but had a night away from our children. We met up with some friends who also stayed at this hotel. We stayed in the Red Cottage across the street in the Jackson room. The place was beautiful and they were very accomadating. Would definately recommend this place. The restaurant is also excellent (Ebbit Room). We have eaten here many times!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2011

My wife and I recently stayed at this fine hotel. It is nice balance between Victorian charm and elegance and contemporary style. The hotel was booked solid, but you did not feel cramped. The intimate bar and dining room were busy each night. The food and drink quality and quantity were excellent. We have utilized this lodging for the past 15 years and we continue to return, not only in the summer, but also in the fall for Victorian Week and the very beautiful Christmas Season. Our favorite rooms are 203 and 205. If you are on a tight budget this may not be for you. We firmly believe you only get what you pay for. At the Virginia you get a lot. The staff are very competent and paid attention to all our needs. The rooms are well appointed and the furniture and bedding are comfortable. It is centrally located and the shops and restaurants in Cape May make any time spent there very enjoyable.

Room Tip: 203 and 205 have their own private porch.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank josephkT5875PR
VirginiaManager, General Manager at The Virginia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2011

Dear JAEK,
Thank you for your response. It is always nice to hear from our long time guests that have been with us through all of our changes and still find our service and standards to exceed expectation. Thanks again for the years of loyal patronage.