“Great Deal, Great Location”
Review of The Virginia Hotel

The Virginia Hotel
Ranked #11 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed 17 October 2010

After visiting The Virginia to dine in the Ebbitt Room twice before, my husband and I decided to try an overnight stay (we normally stay at a B&B.) The price for a stay after Oct. 1 is much lower than in the summer - slightly lower than the B&B where we normally stay (their price did not drop for off season) so we got a really great deal and that was the determining factor for us. Room was fantastic, quiet, clean. Biggest pros: tray of continental breakfast delivered to your room; being able to simply walk downstairs for dinner (especially on a chilly night!) Loved the lounge, too. Only con is that it's a hotel, not a B&B, so there are more people around - I didn't get the best sleep, as I heard people walking in the halls, the newspaper being delivered, the person picking up our breakfast order that we hung on the back of the door. Nothing they could do about that. We plan to stay again next fall.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 July 2010

This hotel is wonderful place to stay. The location was great and everything is within walking distance. I enjoyed the modern yet classic charm of the hotel. Breakfast is included and there is beach service with chairs, umbrellas, and towels which is a bonus. I would definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2010

We stayed for 4 nights in this charming blend of a B&B/hotel. We are not fans of Victorian decor and chose this hotel due to its art deco interior. We had the spa shower (mid-sized queen) room. The room was small but adequate and cozy. The sink/toilet area of the bathroom was ridiculously small (you couldn't open the door without it hitting the toilet), but the shower itself was huge. The mattress and linens were incredibly comfortable and we slept very well. We enjoyed having our complimentary continental breakfast delivered to us daily on the porch. Afterwards, we'd take a short walk to the beach, where the hotel staff would set up an umbrella and lounge chairs for us, which is a really nice service that is included in the room rate.

Other than the small bathroom, our only major complaint was that the air conditioning system broke around 5 PM on our last night, and wasn't repaired until after 1 PM the next day. Other reviewers have reported the same problem. It's time for the hotel to invest in a new HVAC system.

We'd stay here again, provided we could get another competitive rate (we had the 30% off June sale).

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank EliseNJ
Reviewed 6 April 2010

We paid $209 plus tax for one night(off season rate). Hotel lobby was the only impressive part of our stay. The decor attempts to be Art Deco, but the silver paint they sprayed on the furniture was peeling. Room rug smelled musty probably because there was no ventilation in the bathroom. There were stains on the wall paper and it was peeling in spots ,paint on the side table was peeling. I did not sleep well secondary to all of the noise coming from the doors slamming in the hallway. HVAC system was not functioning ,our room was 80 degrees, which also helped keep me awake. When I complained to the front desk the reply was" oh yea something is wrong with our HVAC system."(NO KIDDING). We stayed there since it is one of the few places that allow for a one night stay. It was was no better than staying at a 2 star motel for a much cheaper rate.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kattybird
Reviewed 4 April 2010

My boyfriend and I decided to take a spur of the moment road trip and ended up in Cape May without a reservation, or any idea where to stay. We were skeptical, as we are both in our mid 20's and did not want to stay at a place that looked like our grandparents decorated it, and we were so fortunate that The Virginia was our first stop. The hotel is beautiful. The room was very clean and modern. Flat screen TV, generously stocked mini bar (although, we did not feel like paying $4 for a soda, so we left it untouched), luxurious bathroom, and the bed was to die for. By far, the most comfortable bed we have ever slept in. The location of the hotel is wonderful, even though most of the shops and restaurants were closed when we stayed there (mid March). We paid ~$160/nt which we thought was a great deal, given the room we stayed in costs approx. $550/nt in high season. Would I recommend this hotel to a friend.. absolutely.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BeachLover256
Reviewed 3 February 2010

After a very tough break up just before the holidays I felt that I need to get a way and have some "alone time" to get my head together. Friends of mine have been staying at the Virginia for years now and have always rave about it. Since this was a detour from my normal fimiliar routine I figured it could be just what I needed. Now I am not the type of guy who writes reviews or even really complains for that matter but after my stay I felt obligated to write something, anything, about the hotel and it's staff. I will save you most of the boring detail and skip to the important parts. The hotel is beautiful, complete with a real working fire place and a fantastic little lounge. Although I just had a few munchies in the lounge the restaurant was packed and the buzz from those around me everyone seemed extremely happy. The rooms are very clean and stylishly decorated in a vintage throw back sort of way but with all the modern amenities one could ask for. During my stay I had a few requests, nothing out of the ordinary but a few request to make things a little more enjoyable. The staff could not have been more gracious or helpful and the housekeepers were very sweet. Like I said I am not the review sort but this is a place you need to experience for yourself. I came back from my weekend well rested and ready to tackle anything life could send my way. If I had to say anything negitive I would say that although it was fantastic, I did find it a bit on the pricey side compared to other places I have stayed but do not let that stop you from booking.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank LBImike
Reviewed 26 January 2010

We stayed for a very special anniversary. The staff was warm and welcoming, any staff that we passed in the hotel was pleasant and asked if we needed assistance, very attentive. The room was just beautiful, it was clean and nicely decorated. There is a restaurant named the Ebbit Room, this is not to be missed! Dinner was awesome. All this was topped off with a breakfast next to the fire. The Atlantic Ocean is a half of a block away in one direction and a beautiful little peddlers mall a half of a block in the other direction. The Virginia is first class. The staff made us feel like we were the only ones in the hotel. We will be back!!!!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple