“Enjoyed this unusual garden site. Delightful and deeply satisfying.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Leaming's Run Gardens

Leaming's Run Gardens
More attraction details
Owner description: Open from June 20th through September 20th, from 10 AM to 4 PM, closed Mondays and Tuesdays. Leaming's Run Gardens is a charming series of flower gardens nestled into acres of native woodlands in Cape May County, New Jersey. The shady path leads you past a bamboo grove, an expansive cinnamon fernery,and many beautiful vistas created by the themed flower plantings. The gardens were created by the Aprill family to preserve the centuries old woodlands and wetlands that are home to many rare native plants, and to create a relaxing place for visitors to escape from the pace of modern life. Family owned and operated for 36 years, the gardens are supported solely through admission fees. No outside funding has ever been received. Hummingbirds are plentiful in August. We hope you will visit, relax, and leave refreshed. We appreciate the support the garden has received from our guests over the years.Jack, Emily, Gregg and Missie Aprill
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Enjoyed this unusual garden site. Delightful and deeply satisfying.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2012

Beautiful flower gardens; humming birds, butterflies, and a rare treat to walk through this type of woods.

Pack a snack to enjoy in the woods.

Even though it was past hummingbird and butterfly season, we still saw four humming birds and a variety of butterflies. Also saw frogs, toads, and a red-eared slider.

Do not expect Longwood Gardens or the gardens of Versailles (I have visited both), but do expect a pleasant, perhaps more pleasant, experience here.

I heard about Leamings Run years ago from my mom. I didn't know what to expect. I only knew that she was delighted with it. The two of us finally got to visit the garden on September 13th, 2012. What a treat! The mix of formal plantings and natural woodland is delightful and deeply satisfying.

Since I had done no research, the $8 fee was a surprise, but it’s about the same or less than fees to enter other parks I’ve visited. We were warmly greeted by the woman at the booth who gave us a brief history of the garden and property.

The clean port-o-potty by the entrance was appreciated.

At the NO SMOKING sign near the entrance to the garden, pause and take a relaxing breath. Really.
You are now entering the calming zone. Why wait, marching past a dozen yards of lovely forest, before it occurs to you to slow down? Regardless of what’s on your plate or on your mind, there is something very tranquil about this garden.
Open your ears to take in amazing variety sounds: insects, frogs, birdcalls.

Many of the annual gardens are small, but very well tended and charming. Nice themes of color and use. The larger open areas are delightful. Walking through the woods was enchanting. Where else can you wander through a forest of holly trees? It took me a while to recognize the Hollies. I'm not used to seeing the bark just the leaves and berries. Hollies grow wild in this area; the local Girl Scout Council was formerly called Holly Shores Council. Now I see why.

There is very little signage. I do love to learn about the flora and fauna, but there is something to be said about simply enjoying it and interpreting it for yourself. The signs that were available were great!

The colonial cabin with the excerpt from the owner’s dairy made quite an impression.
I want to visit again, heck, I want to work here.

Visited September 2012

Southampton, NJ
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Gardens?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

I wondered why I hadn't heard about "the largest annual garden" in the country! The reason is that it's 99% woods and 1% flowers. I went to see the hummingbirds feeding in August, but only saw 1 hummingbird and he wasn't feeding. The $8.00 admission fee is exhorbitant. The 25 gardens are little more than flower patches, and they were not even well kept. It was really a disappointment.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Jezziebones
Collingswood, New Jersey
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“Nice gardens to stroll”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

I visited late last summer so a lot of the flowers were dead by then but the bamboo forest was really really cool. A nice stroll on a rainy day at the shore

Visited September 2011
1 Thank Deb C
Franklin, NJ
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

I expected to see more plants and more labeled. Two people recommended this place to me. I would not. If you do go make sure you bring drinks with you. It was a hot day and they did not sell anything to drink,

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Dawn I
Atlantic City, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not worth the time or money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2012

Please save yourself the time and skip this "attraction". There are better "gardens" to see in Cape May County that are free, as they should be. Go enjoy the Zoo....it's a better day out.

1 Thank LovetoCampEastCoast