“A banquet for the soul!”

Leaming's Run Gardens
More attraction details
Owner description: Open from June 20th through September 20th, from 10 AM to 4 PM, closed Mondays and Tuesdays. Leaming's Run Gardens is a charming series of flower gardens nestled into acres of native woodlands in Cape May County, New Jersey. The shady path leads you past a bamboo grove, an expansive cinnamon fernery,and many beautiful vistas created by the themed flower plantings. The gardens were created by the Aprill family to preserve the centuries old woodlands and wetlands that are home to many rare native plants, and to create a relaxing place for visitors to escape from the pace of modern life. Family owned and operated for 36 years, the gardens are supported solely through admission fees. No outside funding has ever been received. Hummingbirds are plentiful in August. We hope you will visit, relax, and leave refreshed. We appreciate the support the garden has received from our guests over the years.Jack, Emily, Gregg and Missie Aprill
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My daughter and I went to see these gardens and natural lands in Cape May Courthouse. Having been to Longwood Gardens, I've seen huge places. We met Greg at the parking lot who directed us where to go and where the restrooms were located. This sanctuary is food for the soul and spirit. It's not so large that you walk your feet off trying to see it all. We loved the small surprises at every turn, the winding pathways that gave you a different perspective every few fee.
At the back where the hummingbirds appear in late July and into August, we met Missy, the gracious sole gardener for the entire site. My daughter and I sat with her for a spell and shared stories and learned all about this special place.
Missy had surgery on her spine and was getting back to taking care of this entire masterpiece just this year. The fact that it looked as good as it did, was a true labor of love and it showed in every nook and cranny.
If you are a person who loves to connect with nature and can stop and truly sit and see what is there, this is the place for you. We found it a work of art. I couldn't stop taking pictures, and many are going to wind up on my wall.
If you need lots of action and have young children who require bright lights and amusements, then go to the Cape May Zoo or the WildWood Boardwalk. Pick what's right for you and your family.
We will be buying season passes as the gardens change along with the wild life that visits there. This was the best time my daughter and I have had in the area. Thank you, Missy and Greg!
Barbara and Kim Swoboda

2  Thank Barbara S

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I hesitate to share my thoughts on this hidden sanctuary for fear it will become ruined, but here goes. This unassuming "rest stop" on the way to Cape May looks like a dirt road into the common, everyday woods, but it is a cultivated location with surprises at every turn as you walk through. There are spots to rest, and terrain that is easy for small children and the elderly. I went in 2009 with my senior citizen mother and toddler children. We took a stroller, but the children walked most of the way. They experienced pine cones and bamboo for the first time, saw various flowers and wildlife. I don't recall the admission price.

2  Thank LAMooreFamily
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Left pondering if there are 2separate places under this name in CM? The path I walked was initiated with an offer to douse myself with DEET spray before proceeding. Understood why after.... Longwood gardens doesn't belong used as a comparison to this place. Not even microscopically close to it. Yes, $8.00 is not much to enter, I agree. But it is a lot to walk along a muddy path through the woods where one occasionally encounters a modestly planted area. I only found one area that was picturesque enough to think about taking a picture. Recommend this as what you'd resort to as a the very last option to do around here. Would do just as well to hike through the wildlife refuge for free really. Very disappointed.

1  Thank lunautique
Reviewed 30 January 2014

It is not Longwood Gardens, it is not some spectacular, commercialized garden. I've been to them and they are incredible.
Leaming's Run is a beautiful, tranquil walk through the woods and lovely, simple gardens. We try to stop once a year. A few changes from year to year keep it fresh.
It will not "blow you away" as some expected. And I agree, I've seen the exaggerated brochure descriptions.
Bit if you enjoy colorful, scenic, natural setting type gardens, you will love Leaming's Run.
It's not an amusement park, so kids will get bored of they are the type that need to be entertained constantly. But there are some perfect settings to take some pics of the kids.
Worth the trip!

3  Thank R D
Reviewed 27 September 2013

What I love most about Leaming's Run is that the magical path you take is self-guided and wonderfully meditative, with many opportunities to sit and just delight in the natural beauty surrounding you. It's also beautiful to see the flowers and plants change from spring to summer to fall. The gardens are absolutely beautiful and remind me of the gardens my grandparents used to nurture and adore. My favorite sightings there have included 3 different species of turtles, lots of gorgeous butterflies and dragonflies, big and baby snakes (not everybody's cup of tea, but I love 'em!), all kinds of frogs, toads and tadpoles, praying mantises, black-crowned night herons and green herons, and marvelous hummingbirds. I also love the huge trees and vines, waterfall, bridges and ponds, and ferns. Going there never fails to delight all the senses, including smelling fragrant blossoms, seeing magnificent flora and fauna, and your feet touching the old-fashioned dirt path and wooden bridges. A must see for those who delight in the natural world. My husband and I buy a season pass every year and visit as often as possible.

1  Thank Karen B