“Gotta Try the Soup”

Cuisines: Fast food
Description: Phone number 1-609-602-0420
Description: Phone number 1-609-602-0420
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Po's Jo's is a trailer canteen located on Stone Harbor Blvd, next to Conover's Fruit and vegetable Farm market. Offerings include breakfast sandwiches, and for lunch homemade soups, sandwiches, hot dogs, and a daily special.
Closed Sunday for customers to attend the House of Worship of your choice.
Two outside tables with shade are provided for your dining pleasure.
My first test was their Angus beef hot dog loaded with sauerkraut and spicy or yellow mustard. The dog was average, I much prefer a kosher all beef frank, such as Kahn's or Nathans.
The saurkrat was raw, reheated out of a can. I will share with you my recipe for a killer kraut. Buy your preferred brand of sauerkraut. Add half a glass of apple juice and a few slices of raw onion. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until the kraut turns slightly brown. This gives the kraut a whole new taste. Slightly sweet, cooked flavor with a slight onion flavor. Try it. These changes alone would probably double Po's Jo's hot dog sales.
My next contestant was a Cuban sandwich - a pressed and grilled roll with mustard, thin slices of ham, pork, swiss cheese, and a few pickles.
Not bad, but the sandwich was small. They should include a scoop of homemade macaroni or potato salad. Or, even simpler, some good Deli potato chips, the kind that are hard and with a crunch for a proper bite. I know, I sold potato chips wholesale for three years.
Their BBQ. Pork sandwich was under seasoned. Good meat, just needed more flavor. BBQ. or Carolina seasoning would help. Think tomato or vinegar based sauce. The topping of home made cole slaw, again, needed a little more fine tuning, maybe some more mayo, to begin. But it did taste home made.
I tried two different homemade soups. One was " Conover's vegatale chowder" and the other was crab based. Both good, but not out standing. Of course, I have not tried all their soups. A "sleeper" soup will hopefully be lurking on the day I visit in the future.
On another day, I had the crabby paddy. A good sized patty of crab meat, seasonings and other fillers. On the Bricole Bun was lettuce and tomato and slathered with a sauce.
Again not bad, and I am very particular with crab cakes, I have had better. This sandwich may or may not please you. The price was reasonable, but I would like a better crab cake and would spend more for this item.
My other gripe was the Bricole Bun. I tried looking up a definition for this bread and found nothing. The buns crust is a shiny brown, with a sweet tasting inner dough. Sorry, this is the wrong bread for sea food. Much better would be a potato roll, light, airy, bland, that would really let any seafood shine thru and show it's true colors.
My last meal there was a breakfast sandwich. Two fried eggs, sausage patty, and cheese, heavy on the mayo...again, ON A BRIOLE BUN. Sorry, a Atlantic City or Philadelphia soft Kaiser would have been much better.
Don't get me wrong. I like Po's Jo's and I will continue to eat there. I believe this is the second year of operation. Thier crab patty and sauerkraut and hot dogs have to be tweaked a little to become outstanding. I just feel certain things can be made better, and by adding simple things, like a scoop of potato salad, or chips and a pickle, their offerings can become a much better value for the consumer.
I wish the couple who operates Po's Jo's the best for this year and many years to come. Try them and share your opinion.