“Nice weekend getaway”

Big Timber Lake Family Camping Resort
New Jersey
“Nice weekend getaway”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

My husband and I stayed here with our two small dogs in our new travel trailer. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We had a pull-through site, which was dirt/gravel and not entirely level, but I felt it was a decent size. It had a nice picnic table and fire ring. One of the things I really loved about this campground was that there was a dirt/sand walking trail behind both of the lakes along the woods. This was a great place to walk the dogs. The campground was relatively quiet, although my husband was awakened by some loud music early in the morning before "quiet time" was over. I felt the campground was quite clean and safe. The pool looked absolutely beautiful, although we didn't have time to use it. It also had a very cute miniature golf course. Our site was very easy to get in and out of. The water pressure was quite good. The campground is in a nice location-- very close to Stone Harbor and about 15 or 20 minutes from Cape May. We would definitely stay here again. The dogs loved their walks on the trail behind the lakes.

Room Tip: The back-in sites seemed much roomier and more private than the pull-through sites, although the pul...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sillyyorkie

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Quebec, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Good family fun. I highly recommend to anyone with family. Clean Bathrooms, friendly staff... We rented a trailer for a week. It was clean and well equiped. I understand that they will replace the carpet with hardwood floors which will be more appropriate. When planning your day at the beach, don't hesitate to get your Avalon Beach tags from the office. This is one of the best beach of the area.

New jersey
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We had a wonderful time here! Everything is very clean and the people are very nice! If you like to photograph nature there is a lot to capture! Butterflies, fish, turtles and frogs... I found two minor setbacks. First is that there are no lounge or regular chairs in the pool area. There are no tables either. We camped with grown children but if we had little ones it would be very annoying to lug chairs to the pool area. Resin chairs are very cheap, I don't understand why they wouldn't provide "something" to sit on. Second is that the animals there are very brave. Four of us sitting by a fire when less than five feet away a raccoon attempted to get in our garbage and wasn't bothered by us sitting there AT ALL. This isn't the campground's fault but it is something you should be aware of. You cannot leave any kind of food out. During the day the squirrels are just as brave.. We camp quite often and have stayed at many places where you could leave unopened items out and they wouldn't be touched by animals. I also think that the camp store could be more stocked with items that guests might have forgotten to buy or pack. They would make a killing in that store with the right items in stock! Most of the shelves were bare.

Room Tip: If you don't want to leave the grounds after setting up camp make sure you don't forget anyt...
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I've read the reviews on tripadvisor before we left so I watched out for those items. I never saw any of them. This campground is wonderful - clean - well maintained - the security is so good (especially at the front gate) that my husband accidently left his wallet out all night at our campsite on a table by the firepit and it was there the next morning! The bathrooms are very clean and the shower is 25 cents but I was done showering well before my first quarters time was over. The entertainment was fun - Cheeseburger in Paradise theme - Jimmy Buffet music. Folks were friendly - staff was very friendly and our family reunion was great fun - Bocce ball tournament was fun! - nice site for our 26 footer RV - Can't say enough except we will be back next year earlier in the summer and stay longer than the 3 nights we were there. p.s. get the bug spray that smells good and that problem is over before you walk out the RV's door to go bike riding on great bike trails.

1 Thank Ginny G
Bucks County PA
Reviewed 9 August 2013

My family and I have spent vacations in many campgrounds locally and around the country. Big Timber Lake is absolutely the best run and by far the cleanest campground at which we have ever stayed. The restrooms are cleaned twice a day and the maintenance staff appears to be on-site and on-call 24x7, so if there is an issue, they get on it immediately. There is so much to do at the campground, it is impossible to get bored unless you are purposely trying. They have organized activities and crafts for kids, a big clean pool, swimming lake, fishing lake with a lot of big bass and blue gill, mini-golf, basketball court, horse shoe pits, bocce courts, shuffle board, ping pong, arcade/game room, lots of paths to ride bikes, TV room and a library. They also have beach tags available for rent so you can go to the beach at Avalon (10 minute drive). There is a snack bar that is open at breakfast and in the afternoon/evenings. The food is very good for camp ground snack bar food and they have hand dipped ice cream and rootbeer floats!

The accommodations are varied and the site upkeep is exceptional. They cater mostly to campers and RVs, but they also have 3 categories of cabins from basic (3 beds, electricity, AC, cable hookup) to house-like with full kitchen, etc, and they have tent sites. We got the basic cabin and enjoyed it.

In reading some of my other reviews you know I also give the bad stuff. Some of what other reviewers wrote is true, such as the guards at the gate take their jobs very seriously and their attitude is a matter of perception. What Michele T perceives as rude, I perceived as efficient due to the fact that they are responsible for making sure only registered guests are allowed to roam the grounds. I had no problem staying in the car while my wife and little one went to check in. Now about the black flies and no-see-ums. Yep, they are there and you better bring bug spray or else your ankles will look like mine with many red bite marks. But that is the nature of being down the NJ shore and in the pine forests. The padding on the beds in the cabin was very hard, like a "stone slab" as my oldest reminded me every morning.

If you are looking for a pleasant non-roughing-it camping experience with the Jersey shore very close nearby, you will have a great time at Big Timber Lake!

Room Tip: If you get a cabin and do not like hard sleeping surfaces, bring some kind of bed padding.
marlboro
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Spent memorial weekend here in 2013. Have to say the campground is very clean and well kept. People are nice and the kids are always busy. Very easy to get to the shore and enjoy a night on the boardwalk. Fishing, swimming and fun for all ages. I hope to go back next year.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Manchester, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I don't know what was worse the attitude or the flies!!! Every year our family has a trip to campground and this one was the worst by far. It started at the gate when we pulled up the old man who stops you to check in was very rude and made our party of about 40 stay in our cars while the rest of the family checked in. Then as we were unpacking the flies started. They never stopped!!! By the time we left we were all swollen from head to toes with fly bites. We left the campground and went to the beach just to get away from the flies. Then it was night time. Every time we get together we are a little loud but there is alot of us from young children to grandparents. We sing by the fire and play guitars. Well security came again and told us it was our last warning or we were all getting thrown out. When my aunt did not hear him and laughed at something he went towards her like he was going to fight her and threatened to call the police on us around all the kids. Not cool, we are here to have fun with our family not to cause problems and be threatened in front of our children. For the price you pay for cabins there is no bathrooms or kitchen just air conditioning and beds. When I called when I got home to complain the lady on the phone was very rude and just wanted to talk over me. Don't waste your money. Stay at another campground.

Room Tip: You could only rent a facility with bathrooms or a kitchen if you want to stay for a week minimum.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
10 Thank Michele T
Jon E, General Manager at Big Timber Lake Family Camping Resort, responded to this review, 14 July 2013
Big Timber Lake prides itself on being a great place for families, and most of the credit for that goes to the wonderful families that stay here and keep coming back. Unfortunately, this very large family was not able to respect our policy on quiet hours, which are in place from 11pm until 8am and are enforced. We received numerous complaints about the noise at their campsites (it was not singing and guitar playing), which extended well past midnight and created an unenjoyable experience for our valued customers who do abide the rules. To the families who were disturbed by this group, we offer our apologies and hope you will come again. Disturbances like the one caused by this group are not the norm here and we will continue to enforce quiet hours . We welcome all families and ask that you be considerate of your fellow campers and follow rules that are common courtesy - it's what makes Big Timber Lake a great place.

It is true that our rustic cabin rentals are indeed rustic and do not offer kitchens or bathrooms. We offer other rentals for those who would like to camp with more amenities.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cape May Court House
Cape May KOA
#15 of 19 in Cape May
Sea Pines RV Resort & Campground
Driftwood RV Resort & Campground

Been to Big Timber Lake Family Camping Resort? Share your experiences!