Hyland Motor Inn
The Beachcomber Resort(Avalon)(Great Value!)
US$126
US$118
Orbitz.com
ICONA Avalon(Avalon)(Great Value!)
US$222
US$187
Motel 6 Rio Grande(Rio Grande)
US$69
Travelocity
US$80
Prime Inn(Rio Grande)
US$69
Lark Motel(Stone Harbor)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsstone harborthe garden state parkwaypicnic tablescoffee makerrooms are cleanfull size fridgepleasant surpriseconvenient locationflat screen tvnew jerseylarge poolbooked last minuteminute ridetwo night staythe jersey shoreoff seasoncape may county
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 March 2009

It's not the Ritz and you don't pay a Ritz price. What it is is a good value for your travel dollar. Convenient to the Garden State Parkway and ten miles from Cape May, it's hard to find a place that offers clean rooms, comfortable beds and the amount of room that the Hyland Motor Inn does. The couple who run the motel are as nice as can be (they even let us use their printer to print some directions), and it is close to everything. All in all, one of the better inexpensive motels I've stayed in.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SF_09
Reviewed 14 March 2009

Reservations handled exactly as promised. Room was fresh and clean. Room has microwave and fridge. The Hyland is very convenient to Cape May, and we will gladly stay here again.

Best internet service of any motel we've used in the last five years. This is an 'older' establishment, that is well maintained. Good value in the 'economy' motel category.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 January 2009

I stayed with my family in the Hyland Motor Inn after a lengthy road trip. We called along the way to confirm our arrival time with them as per the recommendation of family living in Cape May, and were greeted pleasantly on the phone. On arrival, we were treated as if we had never called.

After some difficulty, we received our keys and drove down to the room, which was signified by stick-on house numbers applied to the glass of a hideous aqua door. Ready to stretch out and relax after a taxing drive, we found a freezing cold room with peeling paint (especially around doors and windows). The two beds were arranged unevenly on the wall, with one picture hanging a few feet to the right of where the bed actually rested on the floor, and a pair of wall lights off center between them.

The decor was horrendous, reminding one of a doctor's office circa 1982. The "comforters" were thin, quilted affairs in sea foam and peach, with an all-over seashell print which was thankfully hard to make out. Unfortunately, this was because the comforters were "well-washed" and pilling like crazy. Faded beyond reason. I cannot attest to the bed I didn't sleep in, but mine had holes and small stains which looked like ink. The mattresses were thin and hard. While not entirely uncomfortable, certainly not the kind of mattresses I have come to expect from even the most minimum service motels and lodges. Several ill-fitting tables were added, by my reckoning, sometime in the mid-90s, including one large table right next to the foot of one bed which supported a cumbersome television which jutted into the room.

The bathroom was also a nightmare, especially after going inside and being unable to locate the light switch, which was located conveniently one foot to the left of the door on the outside, meaning I had to reopen the door or ask a family member to turn on the light for me. There is no bathtub or towel bar. The lights in the fixture were 2/3 compact fluorescent; and while I applaud the saving of energy cost, I also don't like being able to see every blood vessel and pore on my face when I go in to put on my make up. The ceiling was pink to match the blue and black tile which seemed to be laid from leftovers, and I found a charmingly off-white rubber shower daisy to be just the right added touch to make my stay complete.

The carpet was thin and dated, the drapes were made of vinyl, and while we know many motels have problems with people smoking in rooms, I didn't need a sign on the TV and the mirror--the mirror sign being at least 7 or 8 inches long and of the faux-woodgrain we all became accustomed to seeing in office buildings 30 years ago.

Walls are also paper thin, so please hope you don't get situated next to a group that wants to talk at a normal volume for most of the night. This happened to us. No, they weren't being loud. We could just hear them.

As I left one day, I saw what I assumed was a staff member dragging around a rusty cart and antiquated vacuum while dressed in casual sweats. I realize this is a small operation, but if a maid goes into my room, I'd like to be sure she works there.

The Hyland sign is missing several letters. No doubt they pass the savings on to you! All in all, I didn't appreciate being made to feel I had pulled off some fabulous coup to have the privilege of staying at this motel room. If I wanted to sleep in someone's dated garbage, I would have stayed in an average suburban basement.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank missbaroness
Reviewed 7 January 2009

I can't believe the positive reviews of this place. I've compare reviews with other guests there when I was, and we all agree, this place is better than sleeping on rocks, but not much. The mattresses are uncomfortable, and the two in my room date back to the 1950's, the labels on them are so old that they are unreadable. I'm 5'10, and with my head ON the headboard, my feet hung off the mattress. One guest told me that she was thinking of buying a foam pad to put on the bed. Time travel is possible here, because the moment I stepped in my room, I thought I was at a yard sale in 1985. The walls were painted with semi gloss "apricot", the bedspreads were OLD and faded (sea themed with aqua and peach and white, with an allover cast of gray), and the washed out, sun faded picture over each bed...cranes on one foot,white, peach and aqua, you probably know the ones! There are NO coffee makers in the room, just available in the lobby, but of course, when I went in before 11:00 to get a cup, I was too late. I'm on central time though, so you'd think I could get a cup before my 10 o'clock. The tiny bathroom looked as though it had been recently remodeled, but be prepared to avoid the mirror in there....the lighting is terrible and if you had a long night, you're reflection will be that of the "sham-wow" guy....scary! BTW....you must pay 2 bits for your ice, or ASK for tokens. Pictures...oh they will follow as soon as I dump the card on the computer.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank MidwestPonygirl
Reviewed 28 August 2008

We stayed at the hyland moter inn in eary aug had a great time rooms are clean and well stocked we had a fridge a coffee maker all the dishs you could need. We only stayed for two days so we really didnt eat there but they have a large lawn with picnic tables and bbq grills so you can cook out .although it is rihgt next to the parkway you really dont notice it that much. you dont hear the traffic at all from the rooms.the pool is great clean warm really nice The owners ars great to will help you any way they can .hey could do a couple of things ti improve it a little but overall great place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)