“Loved it, and it's within walking distance!”
Review of Terre a Terre - CLOSED

Terre a Terre
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I loved everything about it but the price. But for good quality, pay up. It's worth it. The decor is awesome, better than the prior restaurant. We were greeted by the chef, and that to me is a plus. Out Valentine's meal was perfect. We were stuffed! I'd like to go back more often. What I'd really like to see is a fixed price menu, or some specials. That'll keep me going back more often. I only live a block away!!! Keep it going!

TerreaTerreCarlstadt, Manager at Terre a Terre, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

We're glad you loved it. Starting next week and throughout the month of June, we'll be offering a mid-week prix fixe on Wednesday and Thursday nights. Featuring seasonal ingredients from Chef Villani’s favorite local farms, the farm-to-table prix fixe menus will rotate every week and will cost $39 per person for 3 courses. We think this is a great alternative to the regular menu. Also, if you come at any other time besides a holiday (we see you joined us on Valentine's Day), Chef offers several appetizer and dinner specials to suit your taste and budget. Hope you try us again soon.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

It's hard to find a place that satisfies a gourmet cook like me. I know and appreciate my food starting from the ingredients I like to use.
So finding Terre a Terre so nearby was a revelation.
We had dinner there yesterday, 5/11/14 and were delighted by the presentation and taste of what was served. We had scallops crude, beets salad ( just like I would want to eat it), Duck duo and Black see bass.
The duck breast was a little undercooked for me, the fat wasn't rendered enough, so I took it home and finished it the next day.
Everything else looked and tasted great.
The service could be a little faster, but not bad at all. Matthew, our waiter, was charming and enthusiastic about the place.
Definitely recommending it to our friends and even considering using Terre a Terre for our upcoming family celebration.

TerreaTerreCarlstadt, Manager at Terre a Terre, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

We're so pleased that you had an enjoyable dinner and so glad you noticed the quality of our ingredients. We select our farms carefully so we are working with farmers who care about quality, hormone-free and organic food and use sustainable practices. We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 6 April 2014

We came here for dinner with another couple on a Saturday night. The restaurant is very small and cramped, The tables were jammed so close together the waiters kept bumping into us all evening, they need to remove at least five of the tables. There seemed to be very little ventilation from the kitchen as the entire restaurant was very smoky and one of he waitresses had to keep opening the back door. As for the servers, when they were found, were not very professional. Water and bread were not brought to the table until asked for, and then no ice for the water. Only two small pats of very hard butter were brought to share with four people and when I asked for olive oil for the bread I was told they do not carry it in the restaurant, only vegetable oil. One of us asked for a soda several times before it was brought to the table. Dishes were being dropped and broken all evening.
The food had the potential of being very good except for the fact that everything was very bland. The Mussel appetizer could have used more sauce, The Tuna Sashimi came to the table as Salmon sashimi The beef tartare could have used some seasoning and the lobster risotto was served very al dente and not at all creamy and the lobster tasteless. The Pork Osso Bucco was very tender, the sweet potato pureee very smooth and the brussel sprouts had a nice crunch to them. I was told the lamb chops were very good although very pricey!! The pork short ribs and pork chop were also tasty I am told. Again everything could have used a bit more seasoning.

TerreaTerreCarlstadt, Manager at Terre a Terre, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

We're disappointed you didn't have a good experience. And you're right - Saturday wasn't our night! We had a server slip and fall (thankfully she's ok) and our busboy dropped an entire tub of glassware. That obviously doesn't make for a good experience. We always strive to do the best we can in a small space so our guests have the best experience possible.

In terms of our pricing, I don't know if you noticed (wasn't mentioned in the review) but all of our meat, including the beef short ribs, pork chops, and the lamb are grass-fed, hormone free and sourced from local farms. We pay a premium to our local farmers for quality meat (and fishermen for fish) because we share their commitment to bring fresh food to you - our guests. If you've ever purchased organic foods you know the quality - and unfortunately price - is one step above conventional foods. We try to balance our menu, though, with moderately priced items as well. You can find out more about our farm partners by going to our Facebook page or website. We certainly hope you will give us another try soon.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Out of the way location but figured it was worth the traveling since it received some good reviews. Maybe they were short-staffed on a Saturday night, but service was sub-par for whatever reason. Lovely roll breadsticks arrived warm to the table but there were no knives on the table to spread the very hard, cold butter on them. Waitress was nowhere to be found---we used our forks. We ordered 2 of the roasted beet salads--a highly rated item--to share among 4 people. Salads arrived, looking lovely and the waitress placed them on the table and disappeared without leaving salad plates. We were able to hail her after about 5 minutes. Entrees were nicely plated with vegetables but I didn't find the short ribs to be as amazing as reviewers seemed to find them--they were tender but not particularly flavorful and would have been enhanced by a bit of the "root beer" marinade over the top. Desserts were attractive but too small in size to share however, they provided a little sweet ending. Overall, decent food for the price but not a place to rush back to.

TerreaTerreCarlstadt, Manager at Terre a Terre, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

We're sorry you made the trip to Terre a Terre and found the experience disappointing. Clearly, service is an important part of the overall dining experience and it sounds like yours wasn't top-notch. With just five months under our belt, we're still adjusting our service and feedback like yours helps us improve. We also appreciate that despite your experience, you've rated us "very good." Hopefully, with your next visit we'll make the trip worth the troube and you'll find the overall food and service experience excellent!

Reviewed 9 March 2014

So I'm writing this review with some hesitancy, because I selfishly want to keep this restaurant a secret - it's that good. Everything from the friendly staff and warm atmosphere to the exceptional food and artisanal sodas was on point.

Background on my experience: We went for dinner on a Saturday night (early side) as a party of 7 - we were couples ranging from 30's to 60's (and a 3 yr old) - everyone loved their experience and meal. I found this place on the internet and reviews were good so we gave it a try.

What to know: It's BYO.

THE SPACE:
Is intimate but they can accommodate large groups with enough notice. We were a party of 7 and fit just fine- a party of 12 was arriving as we were leaving, too. They do a great job at not jamming people in for the sake of it - though they are VERY accommodating.

THE FOOD:
You can tell that there is passion and skill involved in the creation of each dish. They have vegetarian options and gluten free options. Although the menu changes regularly since they source ingredients locally, some highlights include:
--Short rib empanadas appetizer - savory and decadent - AMAZING
--crab cake appetizer
--Mac and cheese
--roasted? duck
--bread pudding dessert - seriously delicious- save room for it!

THE ATMOSPHERE:
Their website does a great job at showcasing what you'll experience when you get there.
The atmosphere is minimalistic and rustic. Ex. The 1 page menu is featured on wooden boards (don't worry - they have a bunch of daily specials offering enough variety) and the table "cloths" are burlap with a paper topping (approachable and cute - not creepy).

KIDS:
My 3 yr old nephew came with us and while they don't have a "kids menu" (we weren't expecting it), they were quick to offer kid-friendly options like the mac and cheese (plain) or an angus cheeseburger. NOTE: this place is intimate - if children aren't well-behaved, it will impede on other diners' experience. They were very accommodating but I still wouldn't consider this a "kid-friendly" place because it's all about the experience.

SIDEBAR: They have these fabulous "GUS" sodas which are great as mixers if you're feeling squirrely. Ex. They have a pomegranate soda and cranberry lime - great with vodka.

I can't wait to go back there. Next time we are trying their brunch. If it's anything like their dinner, it's sure to be amazing.

TerreaTerreCarlstadt, Manager at Terre a Terre, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to prepare such a thoughtful review of Terre a Terre. We have taken quite a bit of care in developing our menu, decor, and overall experience - and we're pleased you've noticed. Hope you'll come back soon!