“Very good for the price”

Hotel Executive Suites
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Carteret
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We stayed for three nights in this hotel as part of a tour group while visiting New York City.
The hotel was a good tourist class place to stay but was too far out from the centre of NYC. You can easily catch a train which took approximately 30 mins but this was a hustle. Sometimes price does not beat location!

Room Tip: Only stay here if you have business in New Jersey or are on a budget. It's too far from NYC Roo...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Richard S, General Manager at Hotel Executive Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2013

Thank you for your recent stay and we are very happy to hear that you enjoyed our hotel.

We have recently noticed that there are a growing number of international guests from around the world who are posting about our hotel to Trip Advisor in their local languages and giving us glowing reviews. These guests tend to stay multiple nights, come from locations such as France and Russia, and the vast majority seem very satisfied with our service, prices and amenities. All we can say is "Merci" and "Spasiba"!

Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

Thankfully just a one night stay. Hotel is located in an industrial park area with no major restaurants nearby. Room was below average with lights burned out, stains on walls and furniture, section of carpet missing. Would only stay again if it was a last resort.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Tryns
Richard S, General Manager at Hotel Executive Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. We are glad you found our location so convenient to NYC, which is about 10 minutes away by car and 40 minutes by NJ Transit to midtown Manhattan.
As many of our guests have come realize the convenience of being close to the city while having attractive pricing for accommodations makes the commute well worth the effort.
Please be advised we are in the process of providing a major upgrade to breakfast in terms of food quality and equipment. Freshly prepared selections and tasty new breakfast items will be phased into the menu starting this week.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

I chose this hotel so I could be close to the city and take the train from Rahway into Penn Station. Although it is close to the freeway and the noise it is also close to restaurants and the Shoprite grocery store. The hotel staff were always very friendly and accomodating. The Breakfast buffet was a bit average though with sausage, pre-cooked scrambled eggs and very basic offerings. For the cost I would say it was worth the three nights I stayed there on business.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your recent stay and your picture postings. While we agree that the area around the New Jersey Turnpike Exit 12 might not be so quaint and picturesque as other less urban hospitality properties, most of our guests will gladly trade the picturesque for convenience and close proximity to New York City.

Nearby to our hotel are a number of solid restaurants which are independently run by owner-proprietors whose food runs the gamut from seafood to Italian to Spanish, Cuban and Portuguese. In the adjacent area of Woodbridge you will find many of the familiar national franchised eateries like Cheesecake Factory, Benihana's or Applebee's.

We will be renovating a number of the rooms that as you rightly point out need to have a cosmetic face-lift. Normally a hotel does this work on their rooms during the slow season of January February March, but many of our rooms were occupied during this past winter of 2012-13 by individuals and families displaced by Hurricane Sandy and it delayed doing the updates until this coming winter.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

We booked two rooms in this place and when we checked in they gave two room keys and when we put the key in one of the room Bam! The room was already occupied by someone else! Luckily there were no people inside, just their bags and luggage! When asked in the front desk they checked and gave another room keys with no apologies. Breakfast was okay, with a cappuccino machine which doesn't work, even employees doesn't know how it works! Rooms were very clean and neatly maintained.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Richard S, General Manager at Hotel Executive Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding our hotel. We were pleased to read that you enjoyed our clean modern rooms.

With regard to the room where luggage was left we do have to apologize that you encountered such an inconvenience. On some nights guests request to immediately change rooms for any number of reasons, and the expectation is that they will immediately remove their luggage in going to the new room, which might be on another floor in the hotel. Unfortunately they do not move their luggage out of their original room as quickly as we all hope for, and such a situation occurs as what you encountered. The new guest arrives a few minutes later as the room shows as being vacant, except for the left luggage. For everyone's safety when the new card is made for a room it cancels out any access the previous occupant had to enter, inconveniencing both you and the room mover wanting to collect the luggage still inside. Notifying the front desk immediately is obviously the best step.

As mentioned in previous posts our breakfast has recently been upgraded and a number of sleek new machines are now out for complimentary public use. We apologize if some of our part time breakfast staffers were still familiarizing themselves. Everything is up and running smoothly now and the reviews are in: cappuccino is good but pumpkin spice coffee a sentimental seasonal fave.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

We stayed here one night, because we wanted to do some seriour shopping in nearby Jersey Gardens before continuing our journey northbound.
Hotel was very modern, clean, room was spacious and breakfast was better than average motel/hotel breakfast in our journey. Staff was friendly and everything went well.
Only thing for us (without any knowledge of local areas) was that we did not find any place to eat nearby in the evening; hotel is very close to NJ Turnpike, but mostly in the middle of industrial area.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kuusimaki

We were very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your trip to our hotel. The shopping choices at nearby Jersey Gardens Mall in Elizabeth (to where we offer complimentary shuttle service) and Menlo Park Mall in Edison are staggering, but we do want to let you know for the next time you come there are actually many many excellent dining options nearby as well.

Restauranteurs from as far flung as Portugal or as local as Brooklyn have recently opened a number of excellent in-our-neighborhood eateries specializing in Seafood and Italian to compliment the fine Spanish, Cuban, Continental, Chinese and American options all within a short 5 minute drive from our hotel. We are happy to arrange transportation for those guests who are not driving themselves.

For the adventurous who don't mind paying the toll we can recommend a number of fine eateries in nearby Staten Island, including the excellent Cajun at Bayou, the outdoor scene with amazing NYC views at Blue, and the Russian-Mediterranean fave Chinar on the Island for a splurge.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Decided to get a room at this hotel because I knew that I was going to be flying in really late to Newark International and just wanted a room to get about 5-6 hours of sleep before having to leave to attend a function. Got into the hotel at a little later than 12:30AM and was happy to see the hotel looking good from the outside, a nice lobby, and very courteous staff checking me in. So far I was thinking that everything was going to be great and that you don't always 'get what you paid for'. Get up to floor, everything was fine. Get to room, open door, look in...... Nice room. Nice big bed and was one of the SleepNumber beds. Nice touch. Prior person must have liked it taught since it was very hard. Control didn't work. Display and buttons did nothing. Ok no problem, I was tired and was going to be there but a few hours. So lay down and then notice a huge crack in the ceiling. Not falling on me so I fell asleep under the covers, sheet, etc.

Later that morning, I shower and go downstairs for the breakfast offering. To my surprise it wasn't just cereal and cold food. It was a very nice setup including meats, warm foods, juices, etc. very nice.

I check out.

Later in the day while driving to my second stop, I notice several bug bites on my forearm. Hmmmm. Mosquitoes hate me so, that's not it. Disregard. Later I get to a relatives house and I am changing to go to gym. Take off shirt and notice several more bites on abdomen. Well, the only time I was without shirt was when I was in bed earlier. Darn it, something may have been in there with me. Mind you, I state MAYBE, because I am not sure.

Anyway, long story short.... Good hotel for the money, just check your bed to be safe.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Richard S, General Manager at Hotel Executive Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

We take our guests health seriously and hope that you can appreciate that it is with great concern that we immediately reacted to your comment.

As all of our repeat guests know we have a strong record of being a very cleanly hotel and after receiving your comment within hours we had a team in to the room you had taken to inspect for any evidence of something that might be in the bedding. Fortunately the results showed there was no evidence at all of something that should not have been there. Regardless we have taken to Deep Clean the room and have both an outside and in-house team meticulously going over the room and adjacent rooms.

That being said, thank you for your kind words about our hotel. Please note that we are in the process of upgrading room interiors, and have just finished with our upgrade of the breakfast area. As our hotel was built in 2006 these are just a few of the updates that are in the works.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

I felt that this hotel was excellent for the price that I paid, $94. If it was up in the $125-$150 range I'm not sure how I would have felt. The lobby was clean and welcoming, the bar and restaurant seemed very nice, and the front desk clerk greeted me with a smile. The room I had was very clean, very modern, and was fine.

I do agree with the guests that claim the immediate vicinity is a bit industrial. However, you're right next to a turnpike exit, and Cateret is a 5 minute drive. One must also remember that if you want somewhere in the heart of Newark or closer to NYC, you're going to be paying much more than what this hotel charges. I did not agree with the reviewer who claimed that the parking lot seemed dangerous.

I will say this though, the hotel breakfast was one of the worst I have ever had. If this is important to someone I would be hesitant. The coffee was fine but from what I can recall there were no waffles, no pastries, and the eggs, pancakes, and sausages were of a very poor quality. Based on my otherwise positive impression of the hotel, I was surprised. Management may want to consider dropping the breakfast and offering a higher quality paid option in the restaurant if this is the best they feel they can do. While my overall impression of the hotel was positive, it did leave me feeling very disappointed that morning.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Richard S, General Manager at Hotel Executive Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

We are very pleased to hear that our guests are coming to realize the convenience of our location and that they are not put off by our proximity to the New Jersey Turnpike Exit 12 and nearby businesses. While we may not be the first choice for a resort get-away we are high on the list of those that value convenience and good service.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Carteret
Holiday Inn Carteret - Rahway
Watt Hotel
Watt Hotel
#2 of 5 in Rahway
Comfort Suites at Woodbridge

Been to Hotel Executive Suites? Share your experiences!