“Dinner”

The Metro Grill
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian, Sushi
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: A welcome gem nestled in the valleys of the Flanders / Chester, New Jersey area. The Metro Grille specializes in International cuisine from Steak to Sushi. Our goal is to bring to you the essence of New York City style with our distinctive atmosphere and decor, whether in the warm ambiance of our dining room or relaxing on a sofa in our martini bar lounge.
“Dinner”
Reviewed 3 November 2012 via mobile

I went with a friend on a very slow evening, maybe four other tables maybe. The atmosphere is great the food and wine were lovely. The server, not so much. He wasn't really listening to us when we ordered and brought out something my friend didn't order. After she got the correct meal he never came back even once to ask if all was ok. We wanted another drink and had to catch his attention in between him checking his phone and chatting at the bar. I won't judge the place on this one waiter. I may give it another try.

1 Thank pandl0906

Seattle, Washington
“Worst Service I have Ever experienced”
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I heard so much good about the sushi and couldn't wait to try this place. I came from the west coast to visit family and was looking forward to a night out with them. They were busy so I understood the hour wait but when we were seated, it was another 20 minutes (with lots of eye contact from employees including the manager but no one came to the table) before a waiter even said hello and after she finally did, we didn't even get water on our table for another 20 minutes after that. To be honest, it wasn't even very busy at this point in the night. After an hour of sitting, she returned to tell us that there was no steak at all so my brother ordered a mediocre tasting burger. Finally, about an hour and a half sitting, the food arrived...well everyone's food but the people who ordered sushi. By the time the sushi arrived, everyone else finished eating. Now the sushi lived up to my expectations, I truly enjoyed it. Very sad, I can not say anything good about the service. The manager didn't even come over and apologize or let us know what was going on. Disappointing. I enjoy the time with my family and wouldn't have minded the slow service if the staff was friendly, apologized, and kept us in the loop and geez at least have some water and a drink on the table right away.

• Visited July 2012
Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
“Well worth a visit: eclectic, pleasant, friendly, wide price range”
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We have been very pleased with this relatively small, comfortable sushi bar/American steak house /martini bar. You'd never think they'd make all this work, but they do! What we appreciate most is that you don't have to spend an arm and a leg for a very good, interesting, restful meal. Yes, you can go upscale with the aged beef entrees, but even they are not over the top for price. You can also simply have the burger, and it is very good, indeed--or move up to the Kobe burger!. The sushi is imaginative and the martinis are a good match. The service was attentive and the property clean and well maintained. And, as noted, the prices are not out of control at all. It is right on Route 206 south in Chester, an easy ten minutes from Interstate 80.

• Visited April 2012
Long Valley, New Jersey
“Creative cusine”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Metro Grill goes above the ordinary and offers a tasteful variety of menu choices. Part of the menu offers a creative selection of sushi and sachimi combinations. The menu changes from time to time to offer even more creative choices. The restaurant is small - suggest calling in advance for booking. They do not have a children's menu but there is always something more simple in the menu for the picky kids. The cocktail selection is great. The decor is in the dark side - sometimes is hard to read the menu. Great chopice for a romantic dinner or just go out of the ordinary.

• Visited February 2012
Chester, New Jersey
“My go-to local dining establishment”
Reviewed 1 December 2011

Since moving to Chester in 2008, I'd have to say that Metro Grille is one of my favorite eating establishments. Firstly the food has always been good. Admittedly I pretty much stick with the sushi or sashimi whereas my wife will order off of the menu, but we're always happy with the food and service. The ambiance is also great whether you sit at the bar or in the restaurant area as previous reviewers have attested to.

Depending on time or evening, Metro can get crowded and loud (two deep at the bar or having to wait 5-10 minutes for a table with reservations on occasion = crowded for this restaurant). But I've always found service and turnaround to be very good, and the 'crowded' times tend to be limited to Friday and Saturday between 730-9pm. Any other time and you're generally fine with just a walk in and you'll enjoy a quieter experience if that's your preference. The restaurant has excellent deals as well on an ongoing basis (confirm with the restaurant however since deals may have changed): Wednesday is all you can eat sushi night with the entire menu up for choosing, and Thursdays is Ladies Night with a reduction on the Martini prices. The Restaurant also has a Hapy Hour on certain days that include reduced prices on food as well as drink... again I've never been able to make it to Metro on the early side so confirm these deals before you head out if this is your primary draw.

Some areas for consideration: During the busiest hours parking can be tight and you may have to park on the back road behind the restaurant. Personally, I do wish they were open on Sundays as we'll often be passing the place on Sunday night and be looking for somewhere to go for dinner. Also admittedly I do miss some of the old staff who were more like friends rather than a waiter or bartender (and the individuals in mind were very good bartenders to boot). As a result there have been times over the three years where some nights were better than others as far as the quality of martinis and mixed drinks go...... but such is life and it does not preclude me from giving Metro an Excellent rating for the three years I've been visiting!

• Visited November 2011