“Does Breakfast Right, Everything Else A Work in Progress”
Review of johnny K's - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
johnny K's
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I had been to Manny's Diner (formally Johnny K's) about 2 months ago for breakfast. Everything was cooked perfectly. The menu was extensive and they have grits on the menu which is something you don't see in these parts very often. Good service, decent coffee and prices were not too bad.

However, today we went for lunch and our experience wasn't quite up to par. First of all they had music playing SO loud and combined with the noise of the crowd it was almost unbearable and we nearly walked out. We decided to stay since we were hungry and finding somewhere else nearby quickly wasn't possible.

My partner ordered a breakfast; as it was just barely noon. Belgian Waffles and a couple of Sunny Side Up eggs. This was good, although of course they don't serve real maple syrup but most diners don't. I ordered blintzes with sour cream which were passable but not great. First, they weren't very hot so I'm assuming they were pre-made and just warmed over to serve. Second, it came on a sad looking bed of iceberg lettuce (I really hate when places try and "pretty" up their fare by using cheap items on the plate). Also, on the plate was a mound of under-ripe strawberries and over-ripe bananas. The menu didn't mention that the blintzes wer served with "fruit salad" or on a bed of lettuce, both of which I could have lived without especially since the berries were nearly white inside and, therefore, flavorless (winter NOT the time of year to be eating any berries!).

The waitress came by to see if we were ok and, to her credit, when I mentioned my surprise and subsequent displeasure of the fruit on the plate, she immediately offered me a substitute of melon - which she assured me was better. She brought over a heaping bowl of cantaloupe, honeydew and pineapple - which was riper and edible. It was far too much to finish even between both my BF and I. So, kudos to her for being proactive and trying to make me happy (she got a good tip for sure!).

We both agreed we wouldn't be back unless we could be assured we wouldn't be blasted by Led Zeppelin (which we both love but not while eating). Maybe we'll just stick to breakfast at Manny's.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Not worth it
Poor service
Cold food
No one asks how the food was
No one offered refills
No one asked if we wanted coffee or dessert
Will never return
The only good thing was there were no cockroaches

Reviewed 22 January 2014

The food was four star, but the atmosphere was pretty bad. The waitress was busy and also a bit rude, like pushing the plates onto the table as there was not enough room and basically almost knocking over the drinks. The table for six was quite small, and the place was pretty empty so no idea why we were shoved into a corner.

I had a steak, spouse had a panini, our friend had fish that was a bit overcooked. They were responsive to changes in what we ordered, and fixed errors quickly. The host checked on us a few times to see if everything was okay.

My recommendation is for them to make up their minds, whether they want to be a diner or not. Either way, the tables seemed small and cramped, so they should look at that and combine tables if a larger party arrives.

Another reason for the three stars was a party of eight arrived and basically was hooting and hollering throughout the restaurant, which is not that big to begin with. The host pretty much ignored them. Yes, the place has a bar, so maybe that was it, but it is not a quiet place based on the response to the obnoxious guests.

Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Went there this Saturday night and the place was packed! A lot of people were out trying Mannys as Clark finally gets a diner back! It was loud but every table was full! Great looking menu - typical diner fair as well as specials. We ordered the French onion burger and the chopped steak. Both were excellent.
The specials were expensive, management should look into this.

Staff was attentive. Management stopped by and asked if everything was fine.

They have been only open 2 weeks and have some things to work out I'm sure but nothing to stop you from giving them a try.

It's great to have a diner back again.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Johnny K's has now reopened as Manny's Diner. Several changes were made to convert the recent renovation from Windsor Diner to Johnny K's restaurant back to more of a diner theme, first issue was with all of the changes, long time staff have left for other jobs and even though wait staff was very pleasant, the accuracy in our order was far less than acceptable. Out of our party of 11, there were 4 errors or omissions. Overall food was OK, but kids were very disappointed that the new owners eliminated the weekend breakfast Buffett
Another issue was the diner was warm and LOUD. Voices were bouncing off of everything. We had to shout at each other as well as the waitress
Owner did come over to help which is always a good move, but improvement is needed in several areas