“Nicest group of people ever”

Holiday Inn Clark - Newark
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Clark
GreenLeadersSilver level
dallas
“Nicest group of people ever”
Reviewed 29 March 2012

This hotel has won a lot of awards and I can see why. The associates are so happy to be there and when we returned from dinner one night, they actually welcomed us back! They are converting to a Holiday Inn right now and the lobby is so open and bright, I love it. Plus, I arrived late because of flight delays and they have a 24/7 market where I could get something to eat. It was really nice. They've also got Mac's in their business center which are so easy to use and the beds are so comfortable, I slept so well. The food was great and I can't wait to come back to see the finished product!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank happytraveler1979

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Reviewed 20 March 2012

The front desk staff was pleasant and quick, but ran into issues with the room key. The girl appeared to be new, so I wasn’t surprised. They did apologize and mentioned that I should have called from upstairs, but I didn’t mind the walk. The lobby is under renovation, but they appear to be doing the best they can. Only one working elevator at that time, which wasn’t too much of an inconvenience for when we were using it. The staff does not appear to have a service elevator, so they had to maneuver their cart into our car, which was already a bit full. Staff member in the hallway did not seem to know about the location of breakfast in the morning and made no attempt to find out.

The room was comfortable and clean. Nice white comforters and modern furniture. No variety of pillows, but the bed was comfy. There was a small coffeemaker, but no tea bags. There was a small fridge in the room, which came in handy for drinks. The temperature controls worked WELL and alarm clock was easy to set. The bathrooms were well appointed and clean, albeit a little on the small side.

Buffet breakfast was a few tables set up in a conference room. And it was late. We had to leave around 7:15 and while they said they would open at 7:00 (which I think is too late to start breakfast) they were just bringing in the hot food at 7:15.

Overall we were pleased with the stay.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
IHGCare, ihgcare at Holiday Inn Clark - Newark, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Dear Michelline O,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay!

We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments.

We thank you for having chosen our Hotel. We take this opportunity to send you our best wishes.

Regards,
Brenda J.
IHGCare
Cocoa, Florida
Reviewed 15 March 2012

This was my very first time in New Jersey.. The staff were just awesome!... Two employees stood out in particular Raheel and Alfredo... Not only was this my first time in Jersey but I was alone with my little boy and I absolutely got lost the whole trip. They made it okay and made me feel better. They have great personalities and just made me laugh the whole time. The way they acknowledged my son as well meant alot. Alot of hotels just speak to just the adults but they were great through and through especially with directions.

However, the restaurant staff had somewhat of snotty attitudes and somewhat impatient. I was displeased with that because first impressions mean everything and because of their demeanor including the bartender I refused to eat there so unfortunately I had to eat out alot :(..

But!!! I am planning another trip soon and this is where I am definitely staying!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Linden, New Jersey
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Hotel is undergoing renovations and will become a Holiday Inn. Was tricked by blind listing on Hotwire where they guarantee the amenities you want like a pool. I am aware of how the site worked but didn't take into account that the pool was seasonal. I also asked for a certain location and was booked in an area that was closer to my home. Was looking for a short getaway for my husbands birthday. Pleasant check in with friendly front desk. Elevators were small but functional. Saw some peeling wallpaper on the fourth floor near elevator, lounge was disappointing and menu was limited. We decided to eat off property. Wanted ice but seemed like the ice machine was remaking ice because when we went to get some it was not working, checked again in the morning and it was working. Our room was far, from the elevator. Bed was comfortable. Like the convenience of refridgerator and microwave in the room. The coffeemaker was an added plus but it was little dusty like no one used it in a while was stored on the bottom shelf of the nightstand. Some of the wood on the nightstand was peeling.Don't see why it was rated 3 and a half stars when some other places like Hampton Inn are rated 2 stars. Another plus was the convenient location to shops and highway. The lobby was a strange set up and the resturant and lounge on a second floor not on main floor was little different for me. Don't think I would stay there again even when renovations are complete mostly because of the pool and location near my home.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Clark - Newark, responded to this review, 7 April 2012
Winnie W,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. It is IHG's goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Ben J
IHG Care
Morganton, North Carolina
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Good price and the room layout is nice. Stayed in January, 2012. Major renovation to lobby area so it was a bit noisy and limited to 1 elevator. Furniture and rugs in room were pretty beat up but clean. In the morning, you can wait 15 minutes for the elevator, since the cleaing staff uses the same one.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn Clark - Newark, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Dear BadwaterBob,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We do apologize for any inconvenience experienced during your stay due to the renovations taking place. We are a recent recipient of the prestigious Quality Excellence Award. We hope we get the opportunity to show you some of our improvements on your next trip to our hotel.

Myrna M
Case Manager
IHG Care
Muscle Shoals, Alabama
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I found this room on hotwire for an exceptional price. The hotel was undergoing renovations but the staff was friendly and the rooms were clean. When I am in NJ again, I'll make a point to stay there again to see what changes they made.

• Stayed February 2012
Monett, Missouri
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I had left an envelope at the hotel. I called the front desk and they transferred me to housekeeping. Within an hour Caesar Heraldo ontacted me stating the had the envelope and would send it out immediately. Caesar and the staff are to be commended. EXCELLENT SERVICE!

Room Tip: Being remodelled, but awesome customer service!