“Needs total overhaul”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Clifton
helsinki, Finland
“Needs total overhaul”
Reviewed 5 April 2010

I got a good deal via hotwire at this hotel. It is an older HoJo hotel in need of an overhaul. The family run hotel staff try hard - but it is a losing battle. There is an unusual smell which permiates the whole place. Moldy, ?? I checked in late and my rooms bathroom was bad. Toilet stopped up and non functional. Called the front desk and a nice guy tried to fix it. He unsucessful and they promised me a new room in the morning. Got a room which had a small balcony and seemed a bit nicer. However there was that smell. The surfaces were all sticky and grimy. Proper cleaning techniques are needed here. All corners and walls are very dirty. It kind of ruins the hotel experience when everything is kind of shabby and dirty.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Chicago
Reviewed 4 April 2010

I was hesitant to stay here is the first place and I was right to with what I found. 1st- No Doors on the outside lock. 2nd, After 3rd day, I had to pull them in to vacuum my dirty floor. 3rd and most important, I woke up to little bites on my arms and discovered bed bugs on the mattress. If you care about your health or your loved one health, Do Not Stay Here.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Lancaster, PA
Reviewed 2 April 2010

Well I was here due to business. My colleagues would drop me off every night after work because I had no transportation. Well I was up at 5 am and there was no continental breakfast there which was sad. Then I was told there is an IHOP next door... which doesn't open until 7am. Eventually I had to walk down the street in about 40 degrees and rain just to get SOMETHING to eat at 6 am. This did not make me happy. So one morning I decided I wanted to check my emails, I asked the front desk how to access the internet with my wireless connection... I received a simple "oh I don't know ma'am". I would tell anyone who says there... especially with kids... pack plenty of things to eat... considering even the vending machines were out of order and the one that did work charged 1.25 f0r 50 cent bag o chips.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
frecklez75
Reviewed 15 March 2010

My husband and I stayed in this HoJo hotel. We were extremely dissatisfied. There was absolutely no hot water and my husband had a terrible night's sleep and woke up with a horribled backache. I wrote an email to the manager of the chain and we are getting nowhere. When I finally was contacted by the manager of the hotel, she gave my husband a bogus phone number.

Please read this review before ever staying in this hotel. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME OR $.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
St. Petersburg, Fla.
Reviewed 23 February 2010

Here's how bad this hotel is: I'll never stay in another Howard Johnson anywhere in the country.

From the dirt and dust in the halls and the doors, to the broken door hinges, to the brick-like bed, to the water stain above the bed, to the blocked fire doors, to the broken elevator, there wasn't one good thing about this place.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Stevenage, Hertfordshire
Reviewed 3 December 2009

After reading all the negative comments about the Howard Johnson in Clifton I was a bit weary of actually staying here and at one point was going to cancel my booking to stay elsewhere, but I was pleasently suprised.

It seems that they are in the process of redecorating the hallways and some of the rooms so it was a bit messy about the hotel but didnt really cause a major problem.

We checked in with no problem at all and found the front desk staff very polite and proffessional especially as I had requested a non smoking room as my wife suffers from Asthma. The room we had was on the second floor with a nice view over the memorial park at the back of the hotel. We had a lovely king size bed with the usual aminities of Cable TV, Coffee Machine and even a fridge and microwave. Also the heating system was really appriciated especially as it was s bit cold.
The only quarm I have was the guest next door was very loud, left the TV on all night and was constantly talking on his phone. Also the WIFI in the room had good service and was no extra cost.
Also having an IHOP on site was great many a pancake for breakfast.

Location wise - Yes it is out of the way abit from downtown Manhatten but we visited other areas in New Jersey like the nearby Giants Stadium and the new Xanadu Complex. We also travelled to Jersey Gardens which is a indoor Outlet Center that is about 30 mins drive away.
Also plenty of restaurants and shops nearby

Overall we found the hotel pretty good and would no doubt stay there again as it cost £65.00 for two nights a bargain we think.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Espoo, Finland
Reviewed 15 October 2009

We stayed at this hotel for four nights during our trip to NYC. The hotels web pages say that it is conviniently located near outlet malls and New York City. Well, to NYC the bus (NJ Transit) takes only about half an hour and costs (in October 2009) $4,40 per adult one way.

But to the outlet malls (Seacaucus and Jersey Gardens) you would have to take a taxi, which costs around $30-$40 to Seacaucus and 70-80 dollars to Jersey Gardens. Fortunately there is a nice shopping centre near by with some nice shops. For real brand shopping take the bus to NYC, though.

The hotel itself was quite nice (and to my surprise rather quiet, too), and after reading some of the reviews here it was a pleasant surprise that it was actually quite clean. Sure there were some issues (torn wallpaper and one electric socket was pulled out of the wall, and one morning I heard an elderly couple telling the front desk that their bathroom flooded from the one above) but all in all it was ok, especially regarding the price. The room was big enough for us (4), beds were ok, and the room included a coffee maker, microwave and a fridge.

Remember that since they are not advertising to be a 5-star hotel, don't expect that.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifton
La Quinta Inn & Suites Clifton / Rutherford
The Wilshire Grand Hotel
The Wilshire Grand Hotel
#2 of 4 in West Orange
Extended Stay America - Meadowlands - Rutherford

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Clifton NJ? Share your experiences!