“Meh” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Clifton
Los Angeles, CA
“Meh”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2010

My first experience with this particular HoJo was back in October of 2009. I play in a professional band and we were performing at a small metal festival in the area. The HoJo was literally the cheapest hotel we could find barring some hole-in-the-wall dive where you would probably wake up the next morning in a bathtub full of ice with one of your kidneys missing.

As far as hotels go, this was a "meh" for me and I don't really have a lot of criticism about it except for the following.

One, the bathtub in our room was...weird. Standing in the shower was like standing on a beanbag on a ship in the middle of a storm. For some reason the floor of the bathtub wasn't solid and rolled underneath my feet as I attempted to stand and wash. I have no idea why it was like that but I almost fell on my butt several times. Quite a harrowing experience.

Second, the price is WAY too high for the accommodations. Actually, every hotel in the area is pretty expensive and the HoJo just happened to be the cheapest (but not by much). The other chain hotels were charging upwards of $85-$90 a night but the HoJo Internet deal gave us a slight discount at $70. I just found this curiously high for the time of year.

Other than those items, the room was well kept and fresh towels were provided daily (we were there for 3 days). I didn't notice any stains or anything particularly dirty.

My band passed through the same area in July 2010 and again, we found the HoJo to be the least expensive; but this time it was a whopping $85 for the night compared to the other hotels in the area which were $90-$100+. The price paid for an average room is one of my biggest complaints.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2010

We stayed at the Howard Johnson Clifton not a week ago and awoke to find Cockroaches all over our bathroom. I can ignore the general depressed condition of the property because I dont expect a HoJo to be nice, but when we approached the hotel manager about the problem, he claimed that all he could do was move us to another room, when checkout was less than an hour away! The manager was unresponsive, disrespectful, and contemptuous of serving guests' needs (in addition, he hid behind a veiled inability to speak English claiming he couldnt understand our problem when he clearly processed our every word). I would strongly recommend against staying at this hotel unless you are so price sensitive that you are willing to set yourself up for a filty, disgusting dissapointment. I am terribly displeased with the service, have never been treated as badly by a hotel manager as I was here, and will never be staying here again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Clifton hotels

Sparks, Nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2010

My wife and I together with our two daughters stayed at this hotel on June 30th in seaparate rooms. The following morning, my daughters complained to me that there were bed bugs crawling on their beds, the shower handle is broken and the safe is not working. They showed me their bug bites on their legs and back. So immdeaitely we checked out and moved to a different hotel. Now that we are back home, my daughters went to see their doctor to have their bug bites checked out. The doctor said that they have scabies and gave them a cream to apply to their bites. The doctor also told them to wash all their clothes, towels and beddings in hot water to kill the mites. They also have to tell people that they have close contact with about this problem (how embarrasing). It may take several weeks to complely cure them of their condition. I am seriouly thinking of suing this hotel for what they are putting my daughters through.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Somewhere
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2010

I got an incredible rate through Hotwire so initially, I was very excited but that mood suddenly turned sour after I read the reviews on TripAdvisor. The reviews on here spoke of molds, bed bugs, and the terrible service as reasons to stay away from this hotel.

Well, take it from me. My room had no mold nor were my friends and I eaten alive by the bed bugs at night. Some of the rooms here were recently renovated but even the non-renovated parts of this hotel did not appear 'run down,' as many have claimed. The staff here were extremely friendly and greeted us every single time we passed them in the hallways. You also get fast [and free] Wi-Fi connection! This is a perfect place to stay for those who want to visit NYC as this location is conveniently located near Newark-Penn Station. It only costs $1.75 to take the train from Newark-Penn Station to parts of NYC.

My only complaint was that we found one cockroach in the bathroom but THAT WAS IT! I find it rather humorous that so many people on here expect to stay at a 5-star hotel with full amenities after paying 2-star hotel price. If you want to be pampered and stay at a fancy hotel, fork over the extra dough!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
helsinki, Finland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2010

I got a good deal via hotwire at this hotel. It is an older HoJo hotel in need of an overhaul. The family run hotel staff try hard - but it is a losing battle. There is an unusual smell which permiates the whole place. Moldy, ?? I checked in late and my rooms bathroom was bad. Toilet stopped up and non functional. Called the front desk and a nice guy tried to fix it. He unsucessful and they promised me a new room in the morning. Got a room which had a small balcony and seemed a bit nicer. However there was that smell. The surfaces were all sticky and grimy. Proper cleaning techniques are needed here. All corners and walls are very dirty. It kind of ruins the hotel experience when everything is kind of shabby and dirty.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
Chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2010

I was hesitant to stay here is the first place and I was right to with what I found. 1st- No Doors on the outside lock. 2nd, After 3rd day, I had to pull them in to vacuum my dirty floor. 3rd and most important, I woke up to little bites on my arms and discovered bed bugs on the mattress. If you care about your health or your loved one health, Do Not Stay Here.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Lancaster, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2010

Well I was here due to business. My colleagues would drop me off every night after work because I had no transportation. Well I was up at 5 am and there was no continental breakfast there which was sad. Then I was told there is an IHOP next door... which doesn't open until 7am. Eventually I had to walk down the street in about 40 degrees and rain just to get SOMETHING to eat at 6 am. This did not make me happy. So one morning I decided I wanted to check my emails, I asked the front desk how to access the internet with my wireless connection... I received a simple "oh I don't know ma'am". I would tell anyone who says there... especially with kids... pack plenty of things to eat... considering even the vending machines were out of order and the one that did work charged 1.25 f0r 50 cent bag o chips.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifton
La Quinta Inn & Suites Clifton / Rutherford
Holiday Inn Totowa
Holiday Inn Totowa
#1 of 1 in Totowa
Holiday Inn Express Meadowlands

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Clifton NJ? Share your experiences!