“last time staying at this hotel”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Clifton / Rutherford
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Clifton
East Millstone, United States
“last time staying at this hotel”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I would rate this hotel as poor - the room smelled awful and this facility needs updating. Looked like the hallways and rooms have not been maintained for some time. My clothes smelled when I got home. No opportunity to request non-smoking room when I called to make reservation.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

1 Thank Richard B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Turkish first
Danbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We checked in late and the place was very very skeevy! We were tempted to go to another hotel, but since it was just going to be the one night we stayed. The lobby is ok, but the activity of people with pit-bulls hanging around the side entrances was horrible. The halls were dark and activity with people with coolers and loud calls in hallways left much to be desired. The rooms were not very clean and the bathrooms were very old/dirty. We could not get out of there fast enough.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank R A

Travellers are raving about these Clifton hotels

Sparks, Nevada
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We stayed in the executive King Suite at this hotel in NJ because it was a good price and close to my daughters college. For five nights the hot water was mostly a miss. It would warm up to a luke warm temperature and then get ice cold very quickly. This was extremely frustrating. The staff are nice, but their hands are tied obviously when it came to certain issues. The free breakfast was ok, wish there were more hot (protein) choices. The hotel hallways, elevators, etc. are outdated and dirty. The elevator to the 4th floor was very old, dirty and scary. The indoor pool is nice, but the jacuzzi smells so strong of bleach it was hard to sit in it and relax. I wouldn't stay there again, I would spend an extra 300 dollars at a nicer hotel that is clean and has unlimited hot water. Also, we could hear the people next to us at all times, the walls were very thin!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We stayed at La Quinta enroute to another destination and found the staff very accommodating, the rooms were clean and spacious and the hotel was extremely pet friendly. We traveled with two cats and a small dog and there was no charge for having pets in the room. We have added this chain to our lists of favorites.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

West Dundee
Reviewed 25 September 2013

This place should be closed down by the board of health!!!
I have never stayed at a filthier hotel anywhere. The smell that greets you upon entering the elevator is enough to make you sick . There is signage stating "pardon our dust during remodel" but the disgusting carpet is ripped and bunched up which could cause a serious tripping accident. Certificate of maintenance is nowhere to be found and the elevator makes grinding noise and sometimes doesn't open without hitting the buttons....another possibility for an accident. That brings me to the hallways. Walking to our room we passed very unsavory characters, it was evident that they were people who were living in rooms towards the back of the building. I must say we were concerned about safety. Although we were told that there was security walking the halls every hour and that the police were regularly patrolling the parking lots it did little to assure us of our safety. Question we asked was; exactly why so much security was needed in the first place! After one night we left.
When checking out ,I mentioned to the manager that my grandchildren and my daughter had gone to the pool and found it to be dirty. Leaving the area my daughter stepped on a metal sliver. It went deep into her foot. She was able to remove it quickly but the manager could have cared less, he never even asked if she needed a bandage.
My family stays at La Quinta's almost exclusively because we travel with a large family dog. As a rule this company is always clean, safe and well appointed .I don't mean to give them a black eye with this review but someone from Corporate should stay there unannounced and see for themselves what is representing their name. Reviews speak for themselves, wish I had paid more attention to them but I definitely will do so in the future!

Room Tip: Don't Stay Here at All
Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

1 Thank lindaap4
College Park, Maryland
Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed there for 10 days. The location is very good, is just 10 min from manhattan in car. And if you dont have a car there is a bus that takes you round trip for 8$.. The departure times are 8:45 and 11:00.. And the return is in the same place at, 8:00,9:00 and 10:00pm. The breakfast is good, just like other "la quinta".. I have to say that the staff is reaally nice and friendly, Deanne at the front desk is very nice and friendly...
NOW... THEY HAVE SERIOUS PROBLEMS WITH THE CLEANING... The halls smelled like food.. Like indian food with a lot of curry.. The halls were dirty all the time.. People left the garbage in the door of the rooms.. The conditions and the Hygiene were very veryy BAD!!! Another thing, THEY ONLY CLEAN YOUR ROOM twice a week.. Thats something you must know because we didnt.. By the way, we have stayed in 8 different "la quinta" and it is the first time that this happens to us... You only have two laundrys and they are always full because is a giant place... The bathroom is very uncomfortable...
Well, the hotel is good located, is cheap to be that close to manhattan, but the Hygiene is not good at all... Basically for the smell... And that was a problem ALL THE DAYS I WAS THERE.. The rooms are good, but as I said the hygiene... I am giving 2 stars and not 0 stars because the staff was very nice and is close by to manhattan...

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Jose R
Algonquin, Illinois
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Only nice review I can give is the front desk staff was nice, never rude. We were shown several rooms before we settled, and I say that lightly, after over an hour of looking at rooms, our first room was pouring rain into the room, the second room smelled awful, 3rd and 4th rooms were at the very back of the hotel and had not been given any attention, ceiling tiles were coming down, old, dirty, smelled. The elevator was questionable at best, at one point the door would not open when coming to the first floor, which prompted us to look for a certificate of operation, which it did not have, the carpet was ripped and disgusting and dirty in the elevator as well. The pool was disgusting. As you can see from the pictures posted the pool is very clean up to the water line but above the water line the soap scum speaks for itself. I even question if the pool had a decent amount of chlorine in it as you could not smell it in the air. While at the pool we were also sharing space with a coach roach. In my room when picking up the sheet I found a very long dark hair on the mattress pad, and in our second room while taking a shower, the floor of the tub was like a floating floor, as there was water underneath the tub sitting and sloshing around. I have stayed in many hotels and this was by far the worst place ever. I spoke with customer service first thing in the morning and the GM called me ASAP and informed me that we would not be charged for our one night stay. That was great but this stay ruined a very short trip in to town for a wedding as we had to spend so much time looking for another room and then moving.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

1 Thank kim r
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifton
The Wilshire Grand Hotel
Residence Inn West Orange
Residence Inn West Orange
#2 of 4 in West Orange
Renaissance Meadowlands Hotel

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Clifton / Rutherford? Share your experiences!