La Quinta in Clifton is a declining property, not yet decrepit, but well on its way. The physical plant apparently was once quite nice: large functional rooms, ample lobby, a swimming pool like in a resort (I think it was originally a Ramada Inn), but most things are now stained, worn, scratched, and faded. I was there for six nights, and found the place poorly run, as follows:
1. On the second day, the bath tub started to back up, depositing hair and dirt in the tub. I called the front desk, but no one showed up to repair it. After waiting 30 minutes and watching the water rise, I went down to the desk and told them that soon they were going to have a flood on their hands. I left. I returned several hours later to see that someone had started to repair the tub. I left again and assumed that it would be fixed by the time I returned. I called the front desk at about 8:00 PM to verify that the repair had been made. The person answering said that they were too busy to check and that I should call back in 10 minutes. Since I was close by anyway, I returned to the hotel and found that no further work had been done. I asked to change rooms as I wanted to take a shower and, besides, the filth in the tub was disgusting. I was told that the hotel was filled. However, the night maintenance man was sitting at the desk and he said that he would come up to take a look in 10 minutes, which he did. Upon inspection he said “Looks like the work was abandoned.” I agreed. He worked for about 45 minutes and completed the repair at about 10:00 PM and, yes, he cleaned the tub. I was given a “free night,” a nice gesture for a neglected situation. Bottom line: I expended more effort than any employee did..
2. The hotel serves a good buffet breakfast, but fails to clean the breakfast room. By the time I arrived each morning, the room was a pigs sty. While the guests almost always clear the tables, residue is unavoidably left and not once in six days did I see any employee wipe or clear a table. Green table cloths covering several tables, were never changed and the accumulated stains were gross. In all, a filthy place to eat.
3. The elevator in my wing barely worked and automatically stopped at the second floor each time going up and down. Many guests gave up and walked down the four flights. This malfunctioning was known to the staff, several of whom I rode with and heard them complain about the elevator.
4. I had to extent my stay for an extra day. When I left in the morning of the final day, I asked them to make sure that I wasn’t locked out when I returned at night. I was told that they would make sure that that didn’t happen, but when I returned at night, I was unable to access my room because the key had to be reprogrammed (as I suspected would be the case).
On the positive side: The wifi in my room and throughout the hotel was excellent.
This La Quinta fills up with bus loads of tourists, none of whom is involved in selecting the hotel. It is unclear that management cares anything about the property except to keep it going at a substandard level. This is a hotel to avoid.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LaQuinta, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelsClick, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your La Quinta Inn & Suites Clifton / Rutherford reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Quinta Inn & Suites Clifton Hotel Clifton
- La Quinta Inn And Suites Clifton
- La Quinta Hotel Clifton
- La Quinta Clifton
- Clifton La Quinta