“Faded and Poorly Run”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Clifton / Rutherford
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Clifton
Reviewed 4 July 2014

La Quinta in Clifton is a declining property, not yet decrepit, but well on its way. The physical plant apparently was once quite nice: large functional rooms, ample lobby, a swimming pool like in a resort (I think it was originally a Ramada Inn), but most things are now stained, worn, scratched, and faded. I was there for six nights, and found the place poorly run, as follows:

1. On the second day, the bath tub started to back up, depositing hair and dirt in the tub. I called the front desk, but no one showed up to repair it. After waiting 30 minutes and watching the water rise, I went down to the desk and told them that soon they were going to have a flood on their hands. I left. I returned several hours later to see that someone had started to repair the tub. I left again and assumed that it would be fixed by the time I returned. I called the front desk at about 8:00 PM to verify that the repair had been made. The person answering said that they were too busy to check and that I should call back in 10 minutes. Since I was close by anyway, I returned to the hotel and found that no further work had been done. I asked to change rooms as I wanted to take a shower and, besides, the filth in the tub was disgusting. I was told that the hotel was filled. However, the night maintenance man was sitting at the desk and he said that he would come up to take a look in 10 minutes, which he did. Upon inspection he said “Looks like the work was abandoned.” I agreed. He worked for about 45 minutes and completed the repair at about 10:00 PM and, yes, he cleaned the tub. I was given a “free night,” a nice gesture for a neglected situation. Bottom line: I expended more effort than any employee did..

2. The hotel serves a good buffet breakfast, but fails to clean the breakfast room. By the time I arrived each morning, the room was a pigs sty. While the guests almost always clear the tables, residue is unavoidably left and not once in six days did I see any employee wipe or clear a table. Green table cloths covering several tables, were never changed and the accumulated stains were gross. In all, a filthy place to eat.

3. The elevator in my wing barely worked and automatically stopped at the second floor each time going up and down. Many guests gave up and walked down the four flights. This malfunctioning was known to the staff, several of whom I rode with and heard them complain about the elevator.

4. I had to extent my stay for an extra day. When I left in the morning of the final day, I asked them to make sure that I wasn’t locked out when I returned at night. I was told that they would make sure that that didn’t happen, but when I returned at night, I was unable to access my room because the key had to be reprogrammed (as I suspected would be the case).

On the positive side: The wifi in my room and throughout the hotel was excellent.

This La Quinta fills up with bus loads of tourists, none of whom is involved in selecting the hotel. It is unclear that management cares anything about the property except to keep it going at a substandard level. This is a hotel to avoid.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Bangkokexpat

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed here Memorial Day weekend to attend my daughter's college graduation at the IZOD center. I have never stayed at a La Quinta before but the location and rate were great. The hotel itself is mediocre. Rooms are spacious but somewhat dated. The breakfast was just ok. Most of the staff was pleasant, especially Jermaine. The biggest problem was the elevators were out of service the entire duration of our stay of 4 nights and of course we were on the 4th floor. It didn't seem like the staff took great measure to get it fixed and judging by past comments, this wasn't a new problem. There was a Red Robin attached that we did eat in one night that was very convenient. I wish there was an easier way to get around to Clifton Commons being that it's right down the street instead of having to jump on 21 and drive around. Anyway, overall not a terrible stay.

2  Thank inthebiz131
Reviewed 25 June 2014

the hotel was located not too far from New york City and had easy access if driving personal car. The suite was big, roomy, and clean. The bed was awesome clean, no bed bugs, and confortable. Will retrun next year with family.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Reviewed 18 June 2014

the water in the shower could not be regulated to a comfortable tempurature. Dim lighting, but some of this was fixed quickly. The water on our last morning was brown, and no one called to let us know there had been a main break in the city. It was truly gross.

The rooms could use some updating. The front desk staff does not know the hotel well. We had asked for adjoining rooms, and were told they don't have any, but when we got to our rooms, they were adjoining!!!

1  Thank Stacycaryn
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This hotel has an extremely complicated floor plan and that is basically the top floors are different from the bottom floor and so they don't connect. I got totally lost.

I went out this door which is what I thought was the backdoor but it was to a fenced yard. When the door shut, I cannot open it even with my key. I was trapped and had to climb the steel fence to get out!

I finally found my way back to lobby and was bombarded with a huge group of tourists. Since this hotel is extremely cheap, it will attract cheap crowds visiting NYC.

They literally stuffed the elevators and I cannot find the stairs. Even if you find the stairs, it's going to be hard to find your way up - remember the intricated floor plans?

I see a lot of people hanging out outside that look like locals. I'm thinking it's so cheap here they probably just living in this place as a home.

This was obviously a rough night for me so when I finally arrived in my room, I was relieved but only to find that my room smelled like a garbage can. It smelled so bad that I try to shorten my stay here but they would not let me so I left anyway because it was torture.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Max D
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

I don't know why everyone is saying bad things about this hotel. When I arrived the ceiling was leaking in lobb6 but fixed that day . The room was not bad at all 1 to 10 clean wise is a 7. Had a little problem with jacuzzi but also fixed that day then there was a air conditioner but again fixed right away. I know no of this should have happened but I was giving a free night because of it all and my experience was nice great employees and all. Elevators riders beware little scary.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ryan S
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We travel with our 50 lb. midsized dog. Areas outside to walk the dog. Hotel is extremely dog friendly. Also, a Red Robin restaurant is attached to the hotel. Just about 8 miles from the Lincoln Tunnel. They have a shuttle that goes into NYC twice in the morning at a valued price. It does cater to Student Trips, so if you can put up with Teens at breakfast, or at the pool, that is the only time you normally hear them. We've stayed at this location about 6 times now, and we'll be back. Only downside is that breakfast is bland, but it is at most restaurants at this price point.

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
1  Thank Franklin H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifton
Homewood Suites by Hilton East Rutherford-Meadowlands
Fairfield Inn East Rutherford Meadowlands
Courtyard Lyndhurst Meadowlands
Holiday Inn Express Meadowlands
Home2 Suites by Hilton Hasbrouck Heights
Home2 Suites by Hilton Hasbrouck...
#1 of 3 in Hasbrouck Heights
Hampton Inn & Suites Newark-Harrison-Riverwalk

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Clifton / Rutherford? Share your experiences!