“Fresh twist on Mexican”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Annandale, New Jersey
“Fresh twist on Mexican”
Reviewed 30 November 2012

El Segundo is a small,neighborhood spot with fresh and sometimes unique Mexican fare.
You will find the 'basics' such as Burritos, Tacos, and Enchildas, but the nice thing is that they are served up very fresh and without the usual chain Mexican restaurant pile of sloppy refried beans and sticky, tasteless rice. Instead entrees are served with rice and black beans, nicely flavored -- the sides compliment the meal rather than over power it

Specials include nice twists on the basics: I LOVE the crab enchiladas (wish they were on the menu all the time). On my most recent visit I had the fish tacos, and there was plenty of fish (lightly breaded and fried Cod), with a tasty sauce/slaw ( could have had a little more slaw - the sauce was yummy).

Service can be slow when they are crowded, and the staff could use some very basic training (look up and smile when someone comes in the door even if you arent the staff person to seat us).

All in all a nice little spot, its BYO so bring a favorite bottle of wine or a cold 6pack!

• Visited November 2012

New Jersey
“Good Mexican in Colorful Atmosphere”
Reviewed 18 November 2012

This casual place is great for lunch. I favor the Sunshine Burrito and it is jam packed so I always have to take the other 1/2 home. Fun art on the walls makes this place really nice. I would love to see the lights dimmed especially at dinner to soften the atmosphere and then it would be a great place to take guests for dinner. It is just too bright and feels like a cafeteria. Staff is always friendly and salsa is yummy.

• Visited November 2012
Huntsville, Alabama
“Food was Ok But Very Expensive”
Reviewed 15 September 2012

Well - I eat a lot of Mexican food. This restaurant had the most unusual salsa for their chips and salsa. It was basically diced tomatoes and purple onions. I used the bottled sauce they had on the table to spice it up. I ordered a bean burrito that cost $12.50. It was a burrito only topped with about 3 oz of guacamole and diced tomatoes. It had no cheese or sauce of any kind. It was a large burrito and it did fill me up but there was nothing special to it at all. My husband had veggie fajitas that he said were fine. They did have some swiss chard in them that he had to pull out because it was too hard to chew and cut through. It was served with no sauce of any kind so he used the rest of the diced tomatoes and onions from the chips instead. His fajitas were $14.50. The restaurant has bottled sodas only that they were asking $2 each for. Atmosphere was fine - nice artwork from a single artist on the wall - almost like a gallery. The server was Ok but not as attentive as I'd have liked. Bottom line for me is that I would not eat here again because I like value for my $. I didn't feel El Segundo delivered.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank AGoingGal
Branchburg, New Jersey
“Amazing food, but the service is hit or miss”
Reviewed 12 September 2012

The food at El Segundo is outstanding. The really do a great job. I typically will order the specials, since the chef will come up with some great dishes. The service is hit or miss, I have been there when it is fully packed and the staff is excellent and I have been there when it was empty and I am waiting 40min for my entree.
I have completely sworn off getting take out here. My experience is never good. The food is always tastey but when they say 20 10-15 min I end up standing there waiting for another 30+ min. Never once have I been able to get my take out in a reasonable amount of time

Visited June 2012
“Favorite restaurant in town!”
Reviewed 4 September 2012 via mobile

Always has fresh and local ingredients! Fajitas are my favorite, so flavorful with delicious rice and beans! Every night they always have a fresh fish special with special salsa which is delicious! Complementary poco de gallo and chips are scrumptious! I am a huge fan of Mexican and is this is my go to place for the staples like their loaded nachos and guac!!

1 Thank acm51295