“Always good”
Review of Clinton House

Clinton House
Reserve with OpenTable
Clinton House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 57 Restaurants in Clinton
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Main Street
Reviewed 1 May 2014

This is an Historic Location that is well maintained with an extensive menu. I had clams on the half shell that are the best I have found in a restaurant. They enter large and delicious. I had the sauerbraten as the main course and it also was well prepared, not like other places that just put a sour sauce on the meat. The service was good but not as good as the food, thus the rating.

Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

A bit pricey and food only par with a local diner, and smaller portions. Interior fits with the local historic charm, but needs to be freshened up a bit. Bakery items rather good with lots of American baked good favorites ( their own bakery open to the public even if not dining there. Try it for sure).

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Had dinner early on a Friday night in early March. We'd never been there before and came primarily so that my hubby could taste their turtle soup. He was not disappointed, and said it was among the best he's had (the large decanter of sherry with which it was served definitely influenced his rating, I'm sure). We both had seafood entrees, which were delicious and abundant--we took half of each portion home. The desserts were very good--especially the one similar to chocolate lava cake, a favorite of mine. The ambience was pleasant--we were seated near the fireplace which was on that evening.
The negative? Although I'd read some reviews that said they would accommodate some special requests, that was not the case. I asked to substitute some additional vegetables for the rice that was included with my entrée, and was told that was impossible--I could get some kind of potato, but if I wanted a vegetable I would have to order it as a side dish.
My husband also would have preferred more vegetables (we almost always request this wherever we go--and are usually accommodated with no problem). The server also seemed to have a "take it or leave it" attitude about this, as I stated that my disappointment that they would not allow such a minimal substitution. I expected better of a restaurant that is on the pricey side to begin with and would have given a higher rating if not for this issue.

1  Thank CACAFG
Reviewed 4 March 2014

If you've never been to Clinton, NJ, getting a meal at the Clinton House is a great reason to go there. The Clinton House has an array of entrees and you won't be disappointed, no matter what you order. And if you ask for Carol as your waitress, you will get exceptional service with a smile and a little sassiness on the side. Everyone treats you like family and the atmosphere is fine. There is usually very nice live entertainment on Sunday afternoons to accompany your meal. We have never had a meal that was not wonderful and they will even make exceptions if there is something special that is needed. Oh, and their on-site bakery is to die for! Lots of wonderful breads and desserts! It is a little on the pricey side, but the food and service is well worth it. Sit back and ENJOY!

Mary Ann P, Manager at Clinton House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Thank you so much for your review, we are thrilled you enjoyed your experience with us and we had to reply to your comment regarding Carol. The side of sassiness comment has made our day and is so spot on!
Best Wishes,
The Clinton House

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Headed out to Clinton on Saturday to break up the monotony of a grey winter day. On the drive, I started checking out restaurants on TA on my iPad and made a reservation just in case there was a crowd. The crab cakes recommended by our waitperson were fabulous as was the stuffed shrimp and the cream of asparagus soup. Had to take desert to go and it was well worth it - chocolate lava cake with raspberry sauce. If that weren't enough, we went to the bakery and picked up more chocolate delights. A great dining experience for these first timers.