“Really Nice and Really Bad - A work in progress”

Holiday Inn Clinton - Bridgewater
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Clinton
Reviewed 29 August 2014

We took advantage of this hotel being on the Points Break list (bargain amount of points) in order to take care of medical appointments in the area. The hotel which is remodeled is attractive but some of the small defects are disheartening and could spoil a stay.

All staff we had contact with were very obliging and helpful. The receptionist / Betty at the front desk was welcoming We got an upgrade based on our dual platinum status, and a number of perks for complementary drinks.She was very welcoming to us.

The lobby decor and atmosphere is very attractive with large windows and high ceilings and a view of the outdoor patio and waterfall decor. The restaurant and bar are furnished in very contemporary furniture and lighting. Very comfortable.

The room was contemporary in decor and comfortable with a very good bed. Perhaps the remodel isn't quite done for the room lacked any wall art and it needed a small table near the comfortable lounge chair and hassock. One real oddity is a section of the window which is designed to be opened allowing in fresh air. A nice idea but the handle to open the window is covered on the inside by a non-movable screen preventing access to the open-able window. In our room a previous tenant had ripped off a section of this screen so we could push open the window. A most peculiar design concept. We had a top floor, 5th, room with a view of the nearby woods, and of the sky light over the pool. Previous workers or users of the pool had deposited several empty soda bottles, and round objects (fruit or balls?) around the sky light. This garbage would be difficult to get at to clean out but it should be done. Very tacky looking!

The pool is very large with ladders for access. No steps. I am somewhat handicapped and I was unable to get into the pool. The filter was not running and it looked murky as a result. There was a large lounging area with many tropical plants both foliage and blooming. However a good portion of the plants were dead from lack of water and in general the plants were neglected. Too bad since there were many high end plants furnishing the large pool area and many comfortable looking lounge chairs and sofas.

We chose to have dinner in the restaurant which is quite spacious. Limited menu, not the same as the info in the room. It appears to be new since online info talks about room service only and doesn't give an accurrate name of the restaurant or what it offers. Our server was very helpful and solicitous but hard to understand at times. The food was reasonably priced and of average quality. On summer Tuesdays the very large patio outside offers a grille menu and live music. Most guests chose the patio the night we were there.

We went out to the patio to take advantage of two free drink chits we had been given. That is when the most outrageous thing occurred. We ordered drinks on the rocks and when the embarrassed server delivered our "free" drinks we were told that there was a $2 service charge per drink due to the requested "rocks". My advice to management is to either offer free drink chits or not, but do not charge for ICE. Absolutely unheard of in my experience! A really stingy move which totally takes away from the attempt to present the hotel as a class act.

Room Tip: We were given a very good room, 513, with refrig and microwave. Executive king it was called. Can...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 August 2014

We stayed here over night with our extended family. Price was right for this hotel. Hotel was recently renovated and for a couple of nights stay I would definitely recommend it. Indoor pool was great for the kids , however it was cold and should have some sort of temperature control. We were able to order pizza, have it delivered and have dinner right in the pool area. We did not breakfast on the premises instead went down the street to Cracker Barrel and had a huge inexpensive delicious breakfast. We will definitely be staying here in the future.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

I do like this hotel but I can't see myself in the near future staying here everything about the place is perfect except the cost of the room. Make it around $100 for weekday rates and I'll be more than happy to visit again.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Was at this great hotel for a weekend with a bunch of Friends, from check in the great experience began. received my Platinum upgrade to a business suite, which set the tone for an amazing weekend.
The room was big, the windows had the perfect mountain views and the bed was so cozy.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

This was definitely one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. I only spent one night at the holiday inn, but the experience was great nonetheless. The rooms were clean and comfortable and with the addition of the flat screen tv in the room, it's safe to say I'll be staying here the next time I come back to New Jersey. 5 stars!!

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Zach C
andrew w, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Clinton - Bridgewater, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Zach C,

Your positive review of our Clinton NJ Holiday Inn is so very much appreciated. The staff is delighted to hear that you enjoyed everything about your stay. We cant wait to see you again.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Spent 3 nights in Clinton - not exactly a an exotic location so I wasn't expecting much from the Holiday Inn of all places but I was pleasantly surprised when I walked in to find the beautiful lobby with an adjoining restaurant and immaculate marble floors. The staff was very helpful and even took care of my friend who had a few too many that night. The patio outside the front entrance is a surprisingly tranquil place with plenty of places to sit and eat/drink. The breakfast buffet in the morning was fantastic complete with an omelet station and the whole thing only cost $10. It is definitely my new go-to in the northern New Jersey.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank John Hunting I

Dear Mr. Hunting,

Everyone here at the Holiday Inn of Clinton NJ appreciates the time you spent on positively reviewing our hotel. A lot of guests are pleasantly surprised at our newly renovated lobby, restaurant and lounge, and I'm happy that you were too. I'm also happy you enjoyed your time outside on our waterfall patio. It appears your friend enjoyed their time as well, which is great. We are always ready to help out in any way, even if its getting guests that had a little too much fun some food, water and safely back to their rooms.

Please see us again soon!

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Stayed here late July 2014 and while not the most amazing hotel experience it was pretty much everything I wanted.

I was staying there at short notice; had planned to stay at a friend's house but a water leak at his house meant I needed a hotel mid week short notice. The room was big, the bed was comfortable and the TV was big. The staff were polite and friendly and I felt like a guest and not an inconvenience. One of the staff was clearing up the outdoor seating as my friend and I finished our drinks late night. He was extremely polite and explanatory about the task he had to complete and while we were not put out he was very respectful and apologetic for "disturbing" us, which he certainly was not. I was very impressed with the way he addressed us over such a simple thing. I didn't catch his name but it was the evening of July 31st so if hotel management are reading this, please make sure you pat this guy on the back. The devil is in the detail and this was excellent attention to detail.

Speaking of which, my only downer was housekeeping knocking on doors at 8:15am with a key to clean the rooms. While my door didn't have a "do not disturb" sign on it, I could hear it all the way down the corridor. I mentioned it when I checked out and they were very understanding and respectful so all on all no real complaint. Hopefully this will have been discussed with the team to consider how to improve.

If you need to stay in the area, this is a good bet and Clinton is a charming little town also and well worth a visit.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Doug S
andrew w, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Clinton - Bridgewater, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear Doug S,

Thank you so much for your kind words and positive review of our Holiday Inn of Clinton NJ. It's great to hear you were able to enjoy and relax in our outdoor patio. My server will be delighted to hear that he made a positive impact on your stay. With regards to housekeeping, it will be addressed at the next staff meeting to see what can be done to improve on that. We hope you come back to the Clinton area and choose us again for your hospitality needs.

Front Office Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clinton
Hampton Inn Clinton
Hampton Inn Flemington
Hampton Inn Flemington
#1 of 3 in Flemington
Residence Inn Bridgewater Branchburg

Been to Holiday Inn Clinton - Bridgewater? Share your experiences!