“The best campsite you'll ever find near NYC!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Camp Taylor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Columbia
Camp Taylor
nyc
“The best campsite you'll ever find near NYC!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2011

I have been coming to Camp Taylor for over 10 years and every time I stay over I'm greeted with a friendly family staff with impeccably clean campsites. I have camped throughout the US and I've never found sites that are quiet and serene and unbelievably family-friendly. There is so much to do nearby and best of all it has its own private wolf preserve! You can't go wrong with this campsite and its location being so close to the Delaware River Gap. This is not a site to go with your fraternity and host a rave. Instead, at Camp Taylor you can relax with family and friends and take in the surrounding nature and enjoy quite a few exciting activities in the area! This is what camping is truly about...

5 Thank Blossomthecat

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Point Pleasant, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2011

I have stayed at Camp Taylor on several occasions. Every time I visit, we have a great experience. The staff know me and my family by name, and treat us like true family, as I'm sure they treat most of their guests. The store is well-stocked, the giftshop has a huge variety of gifts, some handmade on premises. The staff organizes many different events all throughout the year, and there's always something fun to do. Have you ever been to the Haunted House they have around Halloween??? It's INSANE!!!! The Wolf Watch is fun, interesting, and educational... I go at least once a year. Nobody could have a bad time here unless they tried to! On that note...

When I came to TripAdvisor to leave a review, I read some of the other reviews that were left, and the negative reviews made me laugh. The only possible way you could have an unpleasant time at Camp Taylor is if you're obnoxious, rude, and can't follow simple rules. There are some people who assume rules don't apply to them, people who are noisy, inconsiderate, and generally make trouble for themselves. These are the only people who could and would leave negative reviews for this fine facilty. If you complain about not being able to use the wood you brought from outside the campground, that's your own fault for ignoring the rules (and state law!). If you complain about being billed for leaving broken glass on your campsite, that's your own fault for being an inconsiderate slob. If you complain about the maintenance truck driving down the ONLY road in the campground, perhaps you'd prefer if no one cleaned up the sites. (Because management has to clean up broken glass from people who accidentally drop their bottles in the fire!) If you complain about the restrooms being filthy, use some perspective... it's not supposed to be a luxury spa. For all the times I've been there, the restroom has never been filthy, but it IS a public-use restroom. If you complain about not being given a tour of a trailer because it is currently being rented by another party, but they're away for the day so you think it's ok to go inside anyway, then you're just a pea wit, and probably shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a campfire anyway. If you're one of these people, you might as well leave a bad review because it rained while you were camping at Camp Taylor and the horrible staff failed to notify you in advance of the inclement weather.

I have been in the trailers, the cabins, and on primitive sites. All accomodations were always excellent, and equal to the care I took to make my stay not only pleasant for myself, but also for the other campers and for the staff. I check the rules, follow them, and leave the site cleaner than when I got there. You have to be somewhat of a responsible person to camp... not just at Camp Taylor, but any campground, and any forest. If you can't respect other people or nature, then you shouldn't be there. Camp Taylor is an awesome place to camp. Instead of your own wood, just bring a good attitude!

Room Tip: Book early, book often!!!
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Semmes1863
Westfield, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2011

Some friends and I stayed here a couple weeks ago and had a great time. We were looking for a place to do some camping without having to deal with the restrictions of state parks and this place was perfect. You pay a little bit more, but definitely worth it. The staff was very helpful when we needed it, but mostly stayed out of our way. Went on a couple short hikes which were nice. Also the wolf preserve was awesome. Highly recommended. Note that MapQuest directions kinda suck, but there are directions on their website.

7 Thank jaxom929
PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2011

Do yourself a favor and stay away from Camp Taylor. Ownership is rude, disingenuous and make you feel that they are doing you a favor by letting you stay at their campground!

Just literally 90 seconds after we ownloaded everything, I presume the owner in his Green Ford 250, (you will see this truck drive by your campsite every 10 minutes while he watches you like a hawk) comes speeding up to my brother and I yelling at us about bringing our own wood. I was trying to do my friends a favor and chip in for some wood so we stopped at a nice family owned place right before getting on the highway.

The man starts screaming at us!! From the way he yelled at us you would think we had committed murder. He states to us that the wood had bugs in it and that it would ruin his campground. Excuse me bugs? I could see if I had brought some wood from another country or from a different ecosystem but wood from another location 20 minutes away isn't going to affect your stretch of land! Give me a break!

After apologizing to the man he orders us to bag up the wood and put it away and that all wood must purchased at the camp store. And this is when the true colors of Camp Taylor comes out. They nickle and dime you for everything. If the man would have been honest with us and said hey, I'm trying to run a business please buy my wood we would have understood. My friends and I aren't stupid. I have an MBA and my friend has a degree in Environmental Science. He knows the bug excuse is a total sham and I know he's just trying to make some money off of us. Don't give us some sham excuse about the wood, just tell us the truth. We'd be happy to help out your business and buy the wood (what he calls a "bundle" is $4.75. if you camp here for 2 days get ready to spend about $100 on wood alone)

So after this I walk to the camp store and ask the lady for some wood that doesn't have bugs. She then begins to scream at me! Not even 10 minutes into the trip and I feel like the worst person in the world for a simple mistake!

For the rest of the trip we hung out by the campfire. The entire time we felt like we were being supervised by the owner. Literally every 10 minutes the owner, in his green Ford 250 would drive by (We timed him). The whole time he was staring at us, trying catch us on another charge he could impose!

Guess what? 1 day after we leave we get a bill! Surprise! $50 dollars in fines. One was for glass in the fire which was an accident. We were passing a bottle around the fire and my friend accidentally dropped it in there. That little accident cost us $25 dollars! So make sure if you are drinking to tape the bottle to your hand! The second fine was for damaging roots to a tree! Which was absolutely ridiculous. No trees were damaged in that site at all. The camp owner knew we lived a few hours away so he figured he could hit us up for some more money because he knew we wouldn't drive all the way back there to argue the fine!

At Camp Taylor you will be nickeled and dimed the entire time you are there and watched like a hawk. Instead of camping you feel like you are being babysat by the GreenFord 250. There are plenty of other campsites in this area, do yourself a favor and check those out. You'll be glad you did.

22 Thank rocknroll15
CampTaylor, General Manager at Camp Taylor, responded to this review, 21 May 2011
We sincerely apologize that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. However I do feel that there were some misunderstandings that I would like to clarify.

Every person who calls for information is informed of our policy regarding firewood. Each person is also informed of all of our rules (including our policies on firewood, glass in the fireplace, and damaging trees) upon check-in. Considering the fact that our property is adjacent to The Delaware Water Gap Recreation Area, invasive species of bugs or diseases brought here have the potential to effect over 70,000 acres of public forests. We are extremely diligent in enforcing New Jersey’s DEP’s mandates on not transporting firewood (more information on that can be found at www.dontmovefirewood.org.) As you can learn from the NJ Dept. of Environmental Protection, US Dept. of Agriculture and the Don’t Move Firewood campaign, your conclusion that our “bug excuse is a total sham” is simply incorrect. And while we certainly do appreciate the patronage of our camp store, we do not require campers to purchase firewood to have a campfire. You are welcome to pick up any natural falls from the woods surrounding your campsite.

We became aware of the firewood about an hour after your arrival when one of our employees noticed it on their way home, at which time the manager was informed. He asked you where the wood came from, and explained the policy again, as well as our reasons for enforcing it. Even if you had gotten the wood nearby, many roadside firewood sellers obtain wood from outside sources, not from their own property. He then asked you to take specific steps to minimize the potential damage done by bringing in the wood, which your group amiably agreed to. We believed that this was a satisfactory resolution for both parties.

As far as driving past your site every ten minutes: Your site was off a major road through the campground. Our maintenance trucks needed to pass near your site in order to reach our pond, our mini-golf course, an employee’s residence and many of our other sites. What you interpreted as “babysitting” was simply our staff moving about the campground.

We are sorry that you feel you were unfairly billed for the broken glass in your fireplace. We understand that accidents happen, but we had no way of knowing that it was an accident since that fact was not brought to our attention during or since your stay. As the photos of the tree (which were taken immediately after your departure and sent with the bill) show, the damage was very fresh, and your group were the first campers in that area of the campground this year. If you would like to discuss this matter, or any of your other concerns with us, you are absolutely welcome to call or send us an email; a two hour drive would not be necessary.

Again, we apologize if you interpreted the enforcement of our rules as rude and unwelcoming. We strive to make every experience a good one for all of our campers.
Madison, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2010

Camp Taylor Campground provided a no-hassle, unique outdoor experience. One member of our party was a hesitant camper, but found comfort in the cozy cabin she rented. The hiking trails and outdoor recreation areas were both well-maintained. The bath/shower facilities were clean and easily accessed. I'd highly recommend this campground to my friends and family.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank FreeSpiritMadison
Cape May
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2010

We have stayed at many campgrounds in New Jersey and are always glad to see the ones who enforce their rules for the protection and comfort of all. Camp Taylor has always been a courteous and friendly place to camp and we don't understand anyone having a problem there unless they do not follow the rules. Everyone knows that you have to register all of your group and that New Jersey requires pets to be leashed. If a dog running loose bit someone who would get sued - the campground, for not enforcing the stated rules. You also can not drive past a sign the states all vehicles must be registered and ignore it. Come on, lets be courteous and follow the rules for everyones enjoyment.

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
8 Thank southjerseyjay
Sussex, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2010

I went camping with my 2 children (9 and 6 year old). My wife drove up from work to the camp site and just arrived. I left the site with my son to go to the A&P for milk (they don't sell any necessary food at the camp). Before I arrived my wife completely left the site with my 6 yr old daughter and our small 2 year old dog. She mentioned that a woman from the office ran over yelling at her, used profanity, that she did not pay, your dog ran lose, and didn't care about the dog (6yr old said this). I come back with my 9 year old to pay for my wife...and mean while she was gone and I got kicked off the site because my wife got upset with them for treating her like they did. Meanwhile they didn't give me money back and they didn't even want to hear the reason I stopped at the office was to pay for her and figure out WHAT THE HELL happened. Very unprofessional...they were going to call animal control on a maltedoodle. He mentioned he worked 20 hours that day. I mentioned...I'm on vacation...and you just went nuts on my wife and child present. My daughter is screaming crying and you are kicking me and my 9 year old out and I wasn't even here for all this. The worst part...my opening conversation to them on day one was I heard you are well rated...and the person behind the counter said...REALLY...we usually hear different. That should have been my sign to move on. Go to Harmony Ridge...better service...amenities are all inclusive paddle boats...they have food…can fish onsite...they have more for children (basket ball, batting cages, baseball field, 2 ponds, bocce ball, shuffle boards), and they are family friendly.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
18 Thank sussexrc
CampTaylor, Owner at Camp Taylor, responded to this review, 7 September 2010
This review is correct when he states unacceptable behavior. However it was not on the part of a staff member, but rather his wife. When he arrived, he was given rules both verbally and in writing regarding pets, and told to read all the rules on the back of the map. Pets must be leased at all times and may not be left unattended in a site. He was in a trailer with pop out canvas sides and was told dogs must be crated if left inside so they can not escape under the canvas. Campers reported seeing a dog run loose and soon the dog turned up at the office and was running through the store. The dog was caught and the phone number on the tag was called and a message left. No one responded. We tracked the name on the tag to his campsite and went to the site to tell him the dog was at the office. He was not there nor was anyone else. However an unregistered car was parked at the site. Looking on the registration for his vehicle, we tried his cell to tell him the dog was running through the camp unleashed and he needed to call immediately or we’d have to turn him over to the authorities. Still no one returned the call. Because he has a maltedoodle does not mean the dog is incapable of biting someone or getting hurt, nor does it except it from the leash law. We do not have the staff to pet sit on a holiday weekend, and we did not want to tie the dog in his site unattended because it would be helpless. A neighbor’s dog had been mauled by a black bear last summer. With that a woman outside the office offered to hold onto the dog until the owner could be located, and we turned the dog over to her. It was in her possession for twenty minutes before his wife came to claim it. I do not know how long the dog was wandering before it came into the store.
He registered and paid for one adult and two children, and never mentioned the possibility of his wife joining them. His wife did not drive up from work as he stated. Our surveillance camera shows him leading her in, where they both chose to ignore a sign that is over eight square feet that states all vehicles must stop and register before entering the camp. The surveillance showed him driving past the office three times, but didn’t bother to stop to register and pay for her when he left to go shopping even though the first rule on the map states “anyone on the property must register at the office upon arrival.” As far as his comment about not being offered a refund, she was never paid for to begin with. He was not present to see his wife’s behavior. When she was located and told the car needed to be registered on arrival, she started screaming and yelling that she had a hard day at work. If she had apologized and said the dog got away from her when she arrived, she would have been permitted to register and all would have been forgotten. There was never an apology for the loose dog, for not registering and paying, or for not answering the message left on his cell phone. The reason she was told to leave was the profane language and aggressively bad attitude. She was also reprimanded as she was leaving for driving 25 mph when the speed limit was five. On the way out she purposely drove erratically so as to kick up as much stone and dust as possible, yelling out the window trying to goad someone into an argument in front of several customers. She drove away only when threatened with us calling the police. Our rules are clearly stated on the web, on the phone, and at registration. Although some campgrounds may not enforce rules, we do, and are repeatedly thanked by camping families for doing so. The gentleman was very pleasant when he first arrived and mentioned a web site he found us on. I told him I was unfamiliar with the particular site he referred to, but I had told him we could identify the bad reviews, because they are from those who refused to follow rules and had been forced to leave. It is their way of getting revenge. His review merely supports that comment.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbia
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Hampton Inn & Suites Bartonsville
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Country Club
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Cou...
#1 of 3 in Delaware Water Gap
Hampton Inn Stroudsburg / Poconos
Budget Inn & Suites
Budget Inn & Suites
#1 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Holiday Inn Express Stroudsburg - Poconos

Been to Camp Taylor? Share your experiences!