“Wonderful place to stay... would totally recommend!”
Review of Camp Taylor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Columbia
Camp Taylor
Deer Park, New York
“Wonderful place to stay... would totally recommend!”
Reviewed 17 June 2011

Stayed in an RV for 3 nights. RV was very clean, owners were very nice and not a problem at all. Hiked up to the Wolf Preserve, it was amazing! The campground itself was like being in another world. Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Dani0870

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Middletown, NJ
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Had a great stay with my son. Even with the rainy weather and soggy comp site we had a great time. Went on a long hike to the gap and made some new friends. It was our firts stay here and staff was great so not sure where some of these refiews are coming from but hey you cant please everyone i guess. We are making plans for our second trip this year and are looking forward to it.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank divernj
nyc
Reviewed 26 May 2011

I have been coming to Camp Taylor for over 10 years and every time I stay over I'm greeted with a friendly family staff with impeccably clean campsites. I have camped throughout the US and I've never found sites that are quiet and serene and unbelievably family-friendly. There is so much to do nearby and best of all it has its own private wolf preserve! You can't go wrong with this campsite and its location being so close to the Delaware River Gap. This is not a site to go with your fraternity and host a rave. Instead, at Camp Taylor you can relax with family and friends and take in the surrounding nature and enjoy quite a few exciting activities in the area! This is what camping is truly about...

5 Thank Blossomthecat
Point Pleasant, New Jersey
Reviewed 19 May 2011

I have stayed at Camp Taylor on several occasions. Every time I visit, we have a great experience. The staff know me and my family by name, and treat us like true family, as I'm sure they treat most of their guests. The store is well-stocked, the giftshop has a huge variety of gifts, some handmade on premises. The staff organizes many different events all throughout the year, and there's always something fun to do. Have you ever been to the Haunted House they have around Halloween??? It's INSANE!!!! The Wolf Watch is fun, interesting, and educational... I go at least once a year. Nobody could have a bad time here unless they tried to! On that note...

When I came to TripAdvisor to leave a review, I read some of the other reviews that were left, and the negative reviews made me laugh. The only possible way you could have an unpleasant time at Camp Taylor is if you're obnoxious, rude, and can't follow simple rules. There are some people who assume rules don't apply to them, people who are noisy, inconsiderate, and generally make trouble for themselves. These are the only people who could and would leave negative reviews for this fine facilty. If you complain about not being able to use the wood you brought from outside the campground, that's your own fault for ignoring the rules (and state law!). If you complain about being billed for leaving broken glass on your campsite, that's your own fault for being an inconsiderate slob. If you complain about the maintenance truck driving down the ONLY road in the campground, perhaps you'd prefer if no one cleaned up the sites. (Because management has to clean up broken glass from people who accidentally drop their bottles in the fire!) If you complain about the restrooms being filthy, use some perspective... it's not supposed to be a luxury spa. For all the times I've been there, the restroom has never been filthy, but it IS a public-use restroom. If you complain about not being given a tour of a trailer because it is currently being rented by another party, but they're away for the day so you think it's ok to go inside anyway, then you're just a pea wit, and probably shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a campfire anyway. If you're one of these people, you might as well leave a bad review because it rained while you were camping at Camp Taylor and the horrible staff failed to notify you in advance of the inclement weather.

I have been in the trailers, the cabins, and on primitive sites. All accomodations were always excellent, and equal to the care I took to make my stay not only pleasant for myself, but also for the other campers and for the staff. I check the rules, follow them, and leave the site cleaner than when I got there. You have to be somewhat of a responsible person to camp... not just at Camp Taylor, but any campground, and any forest. If you can't respect other people or nature, then you shouldn't be there. Camp Taylor is an awesome place to camp. Instead of your own wood, just bring a good attitude!

Room Tip: Book early, book often!!!
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Semmes1863
Westfield, New Jersey
Reviewed 19 May 2011

Some friends and I stayed here a couple weeks ago and had a great time. We were looking for a place to do some camping without having to deal with the restrictions of state parks and this place was perfect. You pay a little bit more, but definitely worth it. The staff was very helpful when we needed it, but mostly stayed out of our way. Went on a couple short hikes which were nice. Also the wolf preserve was awesome. Highly recommended. Note that MapQuest directions kinda suck, but there are directions on their website.

7 Thank jaxom929
PA
Reviewed 10 May 2011

Do yourself a favor and stay away from Camp Taylor. Ownership is rude, disingenuous and make you feel that they are doing you a favor by letting you stay at their campground!

Just literally 90 seconds after we ownloaded everything, I presume the owner in his Green Ford 250, (you will see this truck drive by your campsite every 10 minutes while he watches you like a hawk) comes speeding up to my brother and I yelling at us about bringing our own wood. I was trying to do my friends a favor and chip in for some wood so we stopped at a nice family owned place right before getting on the highway.

The man starts screaming at us!! From the way he yelled at us you would think we had committed murder. He states to us that the wood had bugs in it and that it would ruin his campground. Excuse me bugs? I could see if I had brought some wood from another country or from a different ecosystem but wood from another location 20 minutes away isn't going to affect your stretch of land! Give me a break!

After apologizing to the man he orders us to bag up the wood and put it away and that all wood must purchased at the camp store. And this is when the true colors of Camp Taylor comes out. They nickle and dime you for everything. If the man would have been honest with us and said hey, I'm trying to run a business please buy my wood we would have understood. My friends and I aren't stupid. I have an MBA and my friend has a degree in Environmental Science. He knows the bug excuse is a total sham and I know he's just trying to make some money off of us. Don't give us some sham excuse about the wood, just tell us the truth. We'd be happy to help out your business and buy the wood (what he calls a "bundle" is $4.75. if you camp here for 2 days get ready to spend about $100 on wood alone)

So after this I walk to the camp store and ask the lady for some wood that doesn't have bugs. She then begins to scream at me! Not even 10 minutes into the trip and I feel like the worst person in the world for a simple mistake!

For the rest of the trip we hung out by the campfire. The entire time we felt like we were being supervised by the owner. Literally every 10 minutes the owner, in his green Ford 250 would drive by (We timed him). The whole time he was staring at us, trying catch us on another charge he could impose!

Guess what? 1 day after we leave we get a bill! Surprise! $50 dollars in fines. One was for glass in the fire which was an accident. We were passing a bottle around the fire and my friend accidentally dropped it in there. That little accident cost us $25 dollars! So make sure if you are drinking to tape the bottle to your hand! The second fine was for damaging roots to a tree! Which was absolutely ridiculous. No trees were damaged in that site at all. The camp owner knew we lived a few hours away so he figured he could hit us up for some more money because he knew we wouldn't drive all the way back there to argue the fine!

At Camp Taylor you will be nickeled and dimed the entire time you are there and watched like a hawk. Instead of camping you feel like you are being babysat by the GreenFord 250. There are plenty of other campsites in this area, do yourself a favor and check those out. You'll be glad you did.

22 Thank rocknroll15
CampTaylor, General Manager at Camp Taylor, responded to this review, 21 May 2011
We sincerely apologize that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. However I do feel that there were some misunderstandings that I would like to clarify.

Every person who calls for information is informed of our policy regarding firewood. Each person is also informed of all of our rules (including our policies on firewood, glass in the fireplace, and damaging trees) upon check-in. Considering the fact that our property is adjacent to The Delaware Water Gap Recreation Area, invasive species of bugs or diseases brought here have the potential to effect over 70,000 acres of public forests. We are extremely diligent in enforcing New Jersey’s DEP’s mandates on not transporting firewood (more information on that can be found at www.dontmovefirewood.org.) As you can learn from the NJ Dept. of Environmental Protection, US Dept. of Agriculture and the Don’t Move Firewood campaign, your conclusion that our “bug excuse is a total sham” is simply incorrect. And while we certainly do appreciate the patronage of our camp store, we do not require campers to purchase firewood to have a campfire. You are welcome to pick up any natural falls from the woods surrounding your campsite.

We became aware of the firewood about an hour after your arrival when one of our employees noticed it on their way home, at which time the manager was informed. He asked you where the wood came from, and explained the policy again, as well as our reasons for enforcing it. Even if you had gotten the wood nearby, many roadside firewood sellers obtain wood from outside sources, not from their own property. He then asked you to take specific steps to minimize the potential damage done by bringing in the wood, which your group amiably agreed to. We believed that this was a satisfactory resolution for both parties.

As far as driving past your site every ten minutes: Your site was off a major road through the campground. Our maintenance trucks needed to pass near your site in order to reach our pond, our mini-golf course, an employee’s residence and many of our other sites. What you interpreted as “babysitting” was simply our staff moving about the campground.

We are sorry that you feel you were unfairly billed for the broken glass in your fireplace. We understand that accidents happen, but we had no way of knowing that it was an accident since that fact was not brought to our attention during or since your stay. As the photos of the tree (which were taken immediately after your departure and sent with the bill) show, the damage was very fresh, and your group were the first campers in that area of the campground this year. If you would like to discuss this matter, or any of your other concerns with us, you are absolutely welcome to call or send us an email; a two hour drive would not be necessary.

Again, we apologize if you interpreted the enforcement of our rules as rude and unwelcoming. We strive to make every experience a good one for all of our campers.
Madison, NJ
Reviewed 11 October 2010

Camp Taylor Campground provided a no-hassle, unique outdoor experience. One member of our party was a hesitant camper, but found comfort in the cozy cabin she rented. The hiking trails and outdoor recreation areas were both well-maintained. The bath/shower facilities were clean and easily accessed. I'd highly recommend this campground to my friends and family.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank FreeSpiritMadison
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbia
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Country Club
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Cou...
#1 of 3 in Delaware Water Gap
#5 of 8 in Stroudsburg
The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort
The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort
#1 of 4 in Shawnee on Delaware

Been to Camp Taylor? Share your experiences!