“No place like it in NJ”
Review of Camp Taylor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Columbia
Camp Taylor
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My husband & I have been staying at Camp Taylor for 8 years & have been seasonal campers for 7 years. There are absolutely no other campgrounds in NJ that are as natural, quiet & beautiful as this one. The campsites are enormous for any campground & there are numerous ones where you barely can see your neighbor. If you are tent campers you are in for a real treat. This is REAL camping, the sites are large & there is so much foliage between sites that once again you really can't see your neighbors. Anyone with any experience in camping knows this is the exception rather than the rule.

My favorite thing about CT is their philosophy about keeping everything natural. No gaudy campsites around. All seasonal campsites are well maintained & in good order. The pond is such a natural, relaxed setting. I sit at the bench by the pond in the mornings & watch the kids discover pond life. They get so excited just looking at tadpoles, frogs & fish. They spend hours & hours swimming in the pond & as I told one set of parents you don't see kids making their own fun & using their imaginations anymore & not one purchased toy in sight! Week after week I see happy relaxed children & their parents. If you are looking for constant whirlwind entertainment this is not the place for you. But if you are looking for a relaxing weekend getting in touch with nature & playing with your children, I don't think you will be disappointed.

I also would like to comment on some reasons why you pay for extras at CT. To maintain such a pristine campground costs money & the recent recession hit hard for everyone in NJ. The area was hit very hard by Sandy & repairs are costly. The firewood may be a bit pricey but with all of the fallen dead wood around the campsites, there is hardly any need to purchase any. We have been to numerous campgrounds where you couldn't find a twig near your site. Not here, there is plenty to gather & perfect job for restless children waiting for dinner to be cooked. So unless you are just plain lazy, there is no reason to pay for it. So sure you might be paying for extras but this is Jersey & nothing's cheap here.

As far as security, this is the safest place in Jersey. Every night camp personnel walk through the campground at quiet hour making sure everyone is quiet & safe & its amazing how everyone does respect this policy.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mike o
There are newer reviews for Camp Taylor

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Family stayed for weekend with preteen kids. Campgrounds were very well maintained. Bathrooms and showers were very clean. Staff was friendly and helpful. Walked up to wolf preserve which was lovely. We liked the site with water/electric. With cost of wood/showers it was still a very affordable, fun weekend. Site owners set up a haunted house walk through this weekend that was really well done. Primitive sites booked early because of national parks shutdown, so had a fair amount of overflow from them - glad there was a quiet time after 11p enforced. Really great place, will visit again.

Room Tip: Preview your site before choosing as recommended by staff. Cannot reserve ahead for one night, so t...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank merj97
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Great people there who run that camp. I read some bad reviews and please dont read into them. they have to be burned out roudy folks. I took my son camping this summer and the staff were so kind. yes you do have to buy firewood there but 90% of all campsites do that its because of the bugs. i do have a little issue and its little many sites are full of stones, but your in the woods its like complaining of sand at the ocean again it is minor and the staff ets you pick the best site you want. I picked one that was almost fully on a deck it was awesome and very secluded.

Room Tip: be friendly and talk to the owners they want to please you.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank TIKI-HOLDEM
Reviewed 2 October 2013 via mobile

My husband and I and our two boys ages 3 years and 6 months visited at the end of Sept and had perfect weather. But I was surprised how much we paid for everything by the end of it. The $5 bundles of wood are tiny. Luckily we came ready to work and got a lot of our own wood. But paying for 2 person sites & then paying for each additional person (we had two friends stay with us the 2nd night so $56 just for the site that one night), early arrival fees, wood, pay showers, etc definitely adds up. The wolves are not very close to the sites so when we did get to hear them howling at night, it was really quiet and you had to really try to hear them. There was a permanent resident camping next to us who kept us up all night with their drunken arguing despite the strict noise policy. Overall, I was a little disappointed but my 3 year old had a blast.

• Stayed: September 2013
6  Thank Lo-D_CA
Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

This was our second trip here and this time with our teen girls. Our sites have been very nice and very private. The hiking trail up to the wolf preserve was beautiful. We very much appreciate the enforcement of quiet hour as it adds to the overall peaceful environment. Definately will be a family tradition!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I had an amazing time at Camp Taylor!! Between the RV I rented and the staff I felt right at home. Everyone was so nice and helpful, the grounds are absolutely beautiful!! The location is wonderful too, with a 5 - 10 minute drive you can find stores for anything you need that they do not provide in the gift shop. Other then walking the trails and enjoying the scenery the Wolf Tour is a wonderful and enjoyable thing to do..... it so convenient being it is on site. And if you don't feel like doing anything they offer on site you are just a car ride away from so many things.... me and my fiancé went horseback riding and it was only 20 min away from the grounds and there was so much more other stuff to do. I wish we had time to do it all..... maybe next time cause I will be going back very soon. It is beautiful, peaceful, and quiet at night. I felt so safe on the grounds and I don't think I ever slept as good as I did there. I wish I didn't have to leave and I could have stayed longer, there are just so many more wonderful things I can say about the grounds and wonderful staff there but I would recommend going and finding out yourself..... it is most definitely worth the trip!!

Room Tip: The RV was very comfy and cozy but the Deluxe Cabins are also very nice.... next trip in October whe...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tabitha H
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I took my family to Camp Taylor on Labor Day Weekend and stayed 4 days and 3 nights. Some of the staff was friendly but most were not. They had a crazy treasure hunt for children which was really for adults because it was too hard for children to figure out. In fact.. All the children and adults who played quit after 2 hours. My husband prides himself on problem solving skills took a good part of 5 hours of his first day to figure it out.
The snake show was nice and was the highlight of the weekend. amusing presenter, quality critters to see, and stayed for well over an hour!
But on Sunday they had kid-friendly shooting and it took no more then 10 minutes from the time the game started to the time it ended. Kids got 3 shots from a gun that shoots table tennis balls to try to knock down 5 cans. After each kid got to try once they ended it and gave a prize and sent everyone on there way. Kids obviously upset cause they wanted to play a game that was over before it even began. I do not even know why they bothered having an activity for 10 minutes-Absolutely PATHETIC. All of the other campgrounds we stayed at have at least 3 activities included and took there time and appeared to have fun with the children. The employees/owners for the most part seemed to dislike children and acted weird around them. While walking through the store they would watch the children like they were all criminals. So... In our experience the kids activities SUCK and in our opinion and would not recommend going to this camp site if your looking for a kid friendly place to relax and have fun for the ENTIRE family.
The pond/lake may be ok to cool off in extreme heat but in looks gross with all the green slime. The water is also gross due to the fact that there is no fishing in any part of the lake so that fish #s were very high. The pond/lake where you swim is kinda filthy also because visitors can buy fish food in a dispenser for 25 cents and feed the fish and turtles which poo all over making the water unhealthy to swim in.
Speaking of no fishing...at this place you need to go outside and drive which if you are on vacation and do not feel like driving anywhere it would be a pain. There is fishing about a mile or so down the road... But bring your own worms and tackle cause the closest place for that stuff is 5 or 6 miles away.
Last but not least....There is no gate to lock out any strangers. (All of the other campgrounds we stayed in have a gate that is locked at a certain time) For safety so just about anyone can come to the campground especially at night. Even the boats were not locked up so some kids could grab a boat from the shore and go boating in the pond/lake at night without anyone knowing.. That is until someone drowns...

Good things- you were not on top of anyone and the real fire pit made with rocks was cool. If you want to just go hiking that is what you can basically just do there. Also good if you want to sit around a quiet place, drink some beer and let the days breeze by.
The store is nice but has mostly has jewelry, toys, and a little bit of snacks to buy like candy/chips. It does not have milk, bread, etc. So if you accidentally forget something than you need to get in the car and go out to Walmart several miles away.

Summery.....I would not recommend this place unless you are just going hiking and you want to pay the extra money to see the wolves which you need to have cash for.... You can not use a credit card to go to the wolf reservation. For the price you pay to camp their.. the wolf reservation should be included. You also need quarters to take a shower. (We have stayed at other campgrounds and it is FREE) Basically to do anything you need to spend money there.

Room Tip: Only reason rooms was maked so high is because we were only the 2nd family to stay in the brand new...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Kevin B
CampTaylor, Owner at Camp Taylor, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2013

Your review takes me by surprise, since every time we spoke you told me how nice our campground was, but I would like to take a few minutes to respond to your comments. As far as the staff watching children in the store, it is their job to be in the store to assist customers. When your son was asked not to climb on the shelves it was in a friendly manner and out of concern for his safety. When you asked another staff member if she had kids of her own, and she told you she wasn’t planning to have children, it was unfair of you to berate her and assume it was because she had a dislike for children.

The lake may have had a green tint due to pollen, but the water is not filthy, slimy, or unhealthy to swim in. It is tested every week by an independent lab and monitored by the county health department and is found to be extremely clean. Ours is only a 2 acre swimming pond and to allow fishing would be irresponsible as hooks can be dropped where a swimmer could step on them and children casting lines where there are swimmers is very dangerous.
We state on the website that we do not sell groceries and do not have fishing on the premises. However there is no need to go all the way to Walmart when the A&P is only a few miles away.

We do not have gates, (which by the way only keeps out cars not strangers), nor do we need to lock up our boats. We do have a security team of people who walk the camp at night to be sure campers are secure and quiet and considerate of others. The phone rings at our house and is answered all through the night for emergencies.

The treasure hunt was never advertised as a child’s treasure hunt, and you are incorrect that everyone quit. There were several groups actively searching. And in fact, a seasonal camper found it after an hour and fifteen minutes but graciously left the treasure for someone else since they had found a previous treasure hunt this season. The kids shooting contest continued until every child that came for it had a chance to participate and a prize was given to the winner. It would be unfair to give some children more chances than others.

As far as the wolf preserve, campers are permitted to see the wolves at no charge when a wolf watch is not going on. They also get a discount if they want to go on a wolf watch. However, the wolf preserve is a separate business and the admission fee pays for the care and feeding of the animals.

I’m sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations and hope you will find a campground that better suits your style of camping.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbia
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Country Club
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Cou...
#1 of 3 in Delaware Water Gap
Stroudsmoor Country Inn
Stroudsmoor Country Inn
#5 of 8 in Stroudsburg
Hampton Inn & Suites Bartonsville

Been to Camp Taylor? Share your experiences!