“Horrible!!”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Community Children's Museum
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Just left this museum and it was a complete waste of time and money. We went to celebrate our child's 1st bday and brought our other 4 year old. The toy area for my 1 year old was so filthy she only played for 5 minutes not to mention nothing really she could play with anyway. My 4 yr old found the exhibits fun but we were done within 20 minutes. Everything was dirty and nothing was organized. I think it's a nice idea that the community help build it but do them some respect and upkeep their hard work. I came in with low expectations knowing it was small but wow it was way worse then expected. Do NOT waste your money go elsewhere!

2  Thank alayne23
There are newer reviews for Community Children's Museum

Reviewed 1 April 2012

This museum was started by a group of volunteers. Check the schedule as it isn't open every day. There are changing exhibits which are hands on and are very nice for the young child. If you are planning on going and depending on your child you won't be there for more than a couple of hours, perhaps even less, but worth taking a little one to.

1  Thank MMCCnEWjERSEY
Reviewed 9 February 2012

My three grandchildren love this museum! It has exhibits but is also very interactive. There is a space shuttle to climb into and be an astronaut and large pieces of clay to mold, sculpt and create with. Van Gogh's bedroom is replicated from his painting and it is fascinating to the children to see the painting and also the bedroom that was painted in it. The large papier mache figures of famous people from history seated around a table lends itself to discussion of who these people were and their contributions to the world. There is so much to see and do in this small museum that we spend a few hours there each time we go. The children don't tire of it and always see something new to do. They find all sorts of new ways to use their imagination at this museum.

2  Thank Carol S
Reviewed 7 October 2010

I was surprised at how much fun my three children and I had at this creative little museum. We actually got to step into a Van Gogh painting -- how cool is that -- sit on Van Gogh's bed, touch his things. We also had fun drawing and sculpting with clay. We climbed inside a replica of an old space capsule -- it was amazing to see how tiny those original capsules were! I loved the way the museum includes science, art and culture. Who would expect to find such a fun and educational place right here in Dover, without having to drive all the way to Newark or New York City or Philadelphia!

3  Thank Jones1963
Reviewed 13 November 2008

The Community Children's Museum is located just off of Route 46 in Dover, NJ. I first heard of it from a Kid's Stuff coupon book. The admission is only $5, but the place is really small. When I walked in, I wondered if I could keep my daughter occupied for even a half hour. The exhibits are not very hands on, more like displays actually. Some were broken and they looked old and worn even though the museum apparently has not been around all that long.

The 2 rooms of exhibits consisted of the world of electricity (mostly not working and questioned the safety of exposed outlets), examples of international houses (display only), a performance stage with some old clothes in a box, a recreation of Van Gogh's apartment, a historical dinner party done by some local school children (display only again with a broken narrator box) and a tiny model of the Apollo 7 which a toddler could barely fit in. It only took my daughter a few minutes to see everything and spend the rest of the time in the play area, which was supposed to be a recreation of a lake house.

Although the museum was supposed to close at 5:00, the girl closed the door to the small gift shop at 4:30, wouldn't give us a minute to look around and then disappeared. You get the impression they wanted you to leave, so I happily obliged. I wouldn't go back.

3  Thank NJ-Tennessean