“Welcome home”

Homewood Suites Dover-Rockaway
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Dover
Reviewed 25 May 2014

This was our greeting when we arrived late in the evening after a lengthy travel delay. Our spirits immediately improved! The staff was very helpful with dining suggestions. The room was clean and being set back from the road we had a comfortable and welcome night's sleep.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Larry B, General Manager at Homewood Suites Dover-Rockaway, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor! Your comments and time are greatly appreciated. I am excited that gave us a 5 star rating. Thank you very much. We look forward to your return when traveling to our area again.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

But, it is tucked off a hidden driveway and extremely hard to find, especially in the dark.
I would suggest more and better signs be installed along the way.
My GPS got me to the entrance of the driveway, but I did not see either a lighted sign or a motel and had to make several passes before I found it.
The layout of most Homewood Suites rooms is the same; because each suite has a kitchen with a full size fridge included and I tend to travel with coolers of food when I am on the road, I try to aim for this Hilton property when it is in the vicinity I am traveling.
I was impressed by this Homewood. I only stayed for one night, so I cannot rate the housekeeping in general, only the condition of the room when I arrived. It is true that I was very tired when I pulled up to this property just before dark, after having driven for over seven hours, but I did not encounter any of the negative things mentioned by other recent guests and certainly no pet smell.
Adaya (I hope I got the name right) at the front desk was very helpful.
This seems to be a place with many people staying for long terms--one couple was undergoing a home renovation, another person seemed to be living at the Homewood permanently. These folks hang around the lobby and shmooze--it felt like joining the family for the night.
I did not get to breakfast, which is 6 to 9. I would have preferred the breakfast to have been extended to 9:30 or 10, the way it is at Hamptons, but I understand that all Homewoods have this schedule--you should be aware of it, though, if you are traveling for pleasure with family.
There was a nice exercise room and a pool.
I like to treat myself to an in room whirlpool when I am on the road, to unwind from the driving, and appreciate this amenity in many Hamptons. Homewoods do not seem to offer any suites with whirlpools and this Homewood was no exception.
I stayed on Hhonors points, and so was quite pleased with the value, but you should be aware that the price for this motel, possibly because it is so close to New York City, is higher than that of most other Homewoods at which I have stayed.
I will post pictures when I get them dowloaded from my camera.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Larry B, General Manager at Homewood Suites Dover-Rockaway, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

The Homewood Suites Dover NJ would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and comments regarding your recent stay here with us.

The entire staff at the Homewood Suites Dover NJ would like to thank you for giving us such great positive feedback and we are so excited that we were able to provide you with an great stay.

We again thank you for your business and loyalty and look forward to your soon return.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel for six nights in May 2014. It was very clean and modern. Nice lounge area. Staff was friendly. Bathroom had a large shower with great water pressure. One of the nice things about this stay was having several HBO channels available on the TV. Hotel also has a swimming pool, which I did not use.

As always, Homewood Suites provides the "manager's reception" in the evenings from Monday through Thursday. This is where they have free food and beer. The food was adequate (it's free, folks), but not as good as two of the other Homewood Suites I've stayed in.

Overall, it was a very clean and modern hotel with friendly staff and good security and lighting.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Larry B, General Manager at Homewood Suites Dover-Rockaway, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Nice big room, clean an comfortable. Everything works. No bath tub. Housekeeping missed my room (no do not disturb on my door, they just missed it.) Could not correct the error the next day because all housekeeping must be done by 11:30am. Everyone is nice but they made it clear - housekeeping ends at 11:30am no matter what the problem. No refund or accommodation offered. Management issue.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Larry B, General Manager at Homewood Suites Dover-Rockaway, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

The Homewood Suites Dover NJ would like to thank you for your feedback and comments regarding your recent stay with us. I do apoligize for your issues that has occured

Our housekeeping staff is here everyday till 4:00 to 6:00pm. We alway check for DND on the door to make sure,we can clean the room.

We do value your feedback and there is nothing that we want more than to make your time with us Extremely Satisfying. Our daily meeting with address your issue.

I look forward to hearing from your soon,

Reviewed 16 May 2014

we had a very comfortable room. quite and facing a natural habitate. the canada geese greated us when we arrived. and if that is not your cup if tea... you can go across the street and shop, shop, shop! there is a great mall there

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Reviewed 15 May 2014

If you don't mind the smell of feet and wet dog then this is the hotel for you. The hotel has great amenities and great location but the odor is the deal breaker. Because this is a pet friendly hotel, it ruins it for any business travelers or folks who do not like offensive odors. This wasn't just a one off case that was limited to one room or floor. It was everywhere in the hotel. It is so bad that when house keeping cleans rooms they often spray down the rooms with deodorizers and open the windows.

Stay away unless you cannot smell anymore or you do not mind odors.

Room Tip: There are no odor-free rooms. Otherwise, take rooms on the second floor or higher to avoid the bugs...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Firstly, thank you for your candid review of our property. You are certainly right that some rooms can have a pet smell. We take every precaution to make the rooms smell fresh. All pet rooms are on the the first floor unless a guest does not tell us about their pet , unfortunately,we cannot control some situations that arise when other guests abuse the hotel, Housekeepers visit a variety of rooms throughout the property,

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I had such ood experiences with this hotel but something is wrong. The front desk girl Ava and the blonde girl that tried to connect the internet were great. After that first hour, it was pretty bad. The marihuana smell we had to go passed everytime we left our room was ridiculous. I know management can't control what people do in their rooms but come on - I'm sure your housekeeping had to smell that. I had to go the front desk to get them to pick up 2 condoms laying by the pool - really! I can't confrim but judging by the quality of customers hovering on the first floor I wouldn't be suprised if they are doing hourly room rentals. I did not feel safe their with my child so i probably will not be going back there. Spending over $500 for 2 nights to stay in New Jersey and have all these problems is not worth it.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton
Larry B, General Manager at Homewood Suites Dover-Rockaway, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Firstly, thank you for your candid review of our property. You are certainly right that we cannot control some situations that arise when other guests abuse the hotel, but we would like to invite you at any time to pass on concerns to the front desk as you did with the pool. As soon as we are aware of a problem, we can effect a solution. Housekeepers visit a variety of rooms throughout the property, but oftentimes, certain rooms refuse service and they have no opportunity to visit a room and verify activities.

We truly apologize for the other issues that you encountered during your stay; although we cannot always prevent them from arising, we do our best to resolve them in a safe and timely manner. We hope that we met your expectations in that regard; it is our goal to protect the guests in our hotel and their integrity – we do not offer any hourly rates or short-term rentals.

If your travels bring you back to this area, please reach out to our team. We would be happy for a second chance to give you a better experience. The issues you encountered are not typical of our hotel, and we again are sorry for the distress that they brought you.

Larry Benus

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
Hilton Garden Inn Rockaway
Hampton Inn & Suites Parsippany/North
Courtyard Rockaway-Mt. Arlington
Courtyard Rockaway-Mt. Arlington
#2 of 2 in Mount Arlington

Been to Homewood Suites Dover-Rockaway? Share your experiences!