“DO NOT STAY HERE”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East Orange
Aurora, Illinois
“DO NOT STAY HERE”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I recently booked this hotel through Expedia and it was THE WORST experience I have ever had. I have traveled quite a bit on a budget and have never been more disgusted and afraid for my well-being. That hotel is located in a very shady area, which as an outsider I am ignorant to. Their customer service was abhorrent and they have false advertising including advertising their free 24 hour shuttle that doesn't just come to the airport and even when you call them they are late (both times!!!) Not to mention the "van" was disgusting and the guy was rude. More false advertising- they are NOT 5 minutes from Newark airport and the photos are incredibly misleading.
I did not sleep a wink because my neighbors were drug dealers selling crack or marijuana, I couldn't tell. The man and woman would violently fight every 2 hours, to the point of our shared wall shaking violently due to them throwing things or slamming each other up against it. The woman would leave every hour and then come back screaming and crying. Then an hour would go by with just the blaring TV noise, only for an argument to start up again. There was foot traffic to and from their room, shady characters in and out, obviously their customers. They would leave the door open and scream at each other, blasting music and the TV. I was legitimately scared that there might be gunshots happening at some point. The area is extremely ghetto and I also witnessed shady activities in the parking lot behind the hotel. I got to the hotel around 7pm after being in the airport ALL DAY because my flight got canceled. I hadn't eaten anything and didn't eat anything because I was too afraid to step foot outside of my room. Those are just the highlights, there was more... not to mention the disgusting nature of the room itself. I didn't even take my shoes off... I'm not exaggerating, please believe me.
I booked the hotel via Expedia and went so far as to recommend them booting the hotel from their registry to protect their customers. I should have read the reviews and looked into it more but Ramada's advertising is very misleading. Obviously they want us to believe that the hotel is decent. Well, it's not. The photos must have been taken years ago when it was first built because it looks NOTHING like those photos. Do not be misled. I paid almost $90 for a terrifying, disgusting, and traumatic night in East Orange, NJ.
I will never stay in a Ramada again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mary P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Polish first
Edmonton
Reviewed 14 May 2014

My wife and I had a dirty (11pm-7am) overnight layover at EWR and instead of getting cozy in the airport decided at the last minute to just grab a hotel "close by". Unfortunately in our tired travel state we ended up booking this place - 8mi from the airport. They had a hotel shuttle, so we didn't really give it too much thought.

Our first clue about the hotel should have been when the shuttle showed up. As we watched all the other hotel shuttles (nice looking vans wrapped in hotel logos etc.. ) come and go, we patiently waited for ours. Then a busted up looking mini an with a piece of paper taped to the front window with our hotel name showed up. Uhmm.. ok. They knew our names so let's go get some sleep. After about a 1/2hr drive through surface streets of New Jersey, we ended up at the hotel and were greeted through the bullet proof glass by the receptionist. Checked in, got in the super slow elevator, and to our room. Just needed to sleep and get back to the airport.

The hotel was pretty grimy. Smelled of smoke. Paper thin walls. We slept, showered and left. They did shuttle us back and this was a bit quicker. Plan for 1/2 hr trip.

All in all, we just simply booked the wrong spot - not recommended for a layover.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
ch_01_eng_75, General Manager at Ramada East Orange, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Hello vivahume,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review about our hotel. We really apologize for any inconvenience you had during your stay.

We would like to personally apologize for the series of unfortunate incidences that you experienced during your stay with us. We continually try to do our very best for all of our guests, but unfortunately, sometimes we do be unsuccessful. We will look into each issue that you have noted. And, we will pay closer attention to this particular situation to resolve it.

We hope to see you again at the hotel as we are improving our service and standards every day. Please excuse us this time as we were lacking in attention and I promise we will take better care of our guests here on now. Thank you again for your comments.
Fairport, New York
Reviewed 23 April 2014

hotel staff including gray haired supervisor were extremely rude. Elevator was very slow & floors 3 & 4 smelled of marijuana. witnessed drug transaction in parking lot-vending machine & ice maker in hall were empty for entire stay-fridge in room did not get cold-walls were extremely thin allowing you to hear full conversations from neighbors-I travelled alone with 3 children and was extremely disappointed. NOT A GOOD FAMILY EXPERIENCE!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Ramada

Thank Disappointed Mo... X
ch_01_eng_75, General Manager at Ramada East Orange, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to personally apologize for the series of unfortunate incidences that you experienced during your stay with us. We continually try to do our very best for all of our guests, but unfortunately, sometimes we do fail. We will look into each issue that you have noted. And, we will pay closer attention to this particular situation to resolve it.

Also consider these accommodations in or near East Orange
Newark Central Business District
BEST WESTERN PLUS Robert Treat Hotel
Comfort Suites Newark
#13 of 16 in Newark

Been to Ramada East Orange? Share your experiences!