“A great Place to Stay”

Residence Inn East Rutherford Meadowlands
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in East Rutherford
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I’ve never written a review on a hotel before, but after spending over 100 nights at the Residence Inn on Murray Parkway in East Rutherford, I thought I would publically thank the staff for a particularly noteworthy stay. I typically spend between 150 and 200 nights a year in hotels for work and I have seen the best and worst of both guests and hotel personnel in my travels, and I have to say I couldn’t have been happier with my stay at the Residence Inn.

Last September I first checked in around 11 PM and when I entered the lobby there were two large families in front of me who were clearly tired and stressed out after what was likely a long day of travel. I thought it would take a long time for the front desk agent (James) to check them in, but to my surprise, James not only checked them in quickly, but he also answered their questions about the hotel’s (free) breakfast and then gave them tips on catching the NJ transit bus into New York City the next morning, and he did it all with a professionalism and courtesy that it felt like I was checking into a five-star resort. Even after a 100 day stay, I continued to be impressed by the staff including Shante and Karen, who often address people by their names and seem genuinely happy to see their guests as they pass through the lobby. Clearly, management has created a positive work environment because even the hotel engineer (Michael) is pleasant and collegial to guests.

Also, my wife and kids came out to visit for Thanksgiving week. While they were here, we decided it would be fun to stay a couple of nights at the Marriott Millennium in Times Square and, when I mentioned our plans, one of the managers (Suresh) called the Millennium and made sure we had a great room and that everything was ready for our arrival. I was very impressed by the special attention he gave me and my family.

The hotel is about 1 mile from MetLife Stadium and there’s a free breakfast every morning and a light dinner Mon-Thursday nights. If you want to venture out and you have a car, there are dozens of restaurants within a mile or two including some kid-friendly places. Restaurants I like are “Park and Orchard,” “Vesta Wood Fired Pizza,” The Asian Grill” “Biggies” and Candlewyck Diner Restaurant” which has some of the best food around and an unbeatable chicken parmigiana. Also, you can catch the NY Transit bus for $4.25 into NY Port Authority terminal for a day of sightseeing, shopping or business. The stop is right out in front of the hotel and the bus is easiest/fastest/cheapest way to get into New York City.

There’s a Stop & Shop grocery store about two miles away if you want to stock up the full-sized refrigerator or use the in-room microwave or stove, there’s also a coin laundry on site as well as a dry cleaning and laundry service. Parking is ample and free.

There’s free Wi-Fi in the rooms which is suitable for email and light web surfing but you can also pay a fee ($5/ day) to upgrade to 3 X better speeds. For people who are tech savvy, the best speeds you can hope for with the 3 X upgrade is about 4 Mbps which isn’t bad, but usually is about 3.1 Mbps (up and down) particularly when the hotel is full at night and there are a lot of people using the wireless connection.

If I had to be picky about anything, I would like to see an improvement with the maid staff, but all things considered, the hotel is a great place to stay whether it’s for business or for fun, so thanks to all who make a road warriors’ life a little easier on the road

Room Tip: Book in advance for weekends during NFL foot ball seasons
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Ken R
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn East Rutherford Meadowlands, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

Ken R
I'm delighted to hear of your pleasant stay, and appreciation of our staff at Residence Inn East Rutherford. We have a wonderful team of dedicated associates that make sincere hospitality their priority. I look forward to sharing your compliments and recognizing James, Shante, Karen, Michael, and Suresh with special commendations on their excellence in service.

I do want to inform you that we hired a new Housekeeping Manager that brings 10 years of experience. The restructuring of our housekeeping department is truly making a difference and we look forward to sharing our improvements on your next visit. We look forward to welcoming you back as our guest and hope to continually be your "Home Away From Home." Thank you again for your review and recommendations of our great hotel.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Have to take the time to praise this hotel.The hotel was recently renovated and the rooms are well-appointed. Room is really clean and has everything I need to work and "live" here for a couple of days. The front desk is awesome -- so responsive and concerned about my stay. And, though a small perk, I found a little, yellow rubber duck waiting for me in the bathroom. Kudos to a hotel that isn't ranked as a luxury hotel. I could have stayed someplace much more expensive for my business travel -- but, I'm happy that I chose this hotel. I would caution that the surrounding neighborhood isn't ideal. But bring food with you, take a taxi or order delivery and you'll be fine. The market in the lobby has wine and beer for purchase, so no worries there!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank susquita
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn East Rutherford Meadowlands, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

susquita,
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive reflections from your experience with us at Residence Inn East Rutherford. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us on your business travels, and we're glad our extra efforts in hospitality made an impacting difference. We hope to welcome you back again soon. Thank you once again for writing.

Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Beautiful room. Very clean. Full kitchen and excellent complementary breakfast. Walking distance to MetLife and other meadowland venues. Free shuttle but the hotel doesn't tell you about it and tries to charge $10/person for their shuttle one way. Housekeeping staff was very noisy and unprofessional in the hallways.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tammy C
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn East Rutherford Meadowlands, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Tammy C,
Thank you for sharing feedback on both positive aspects and opportunities for improvement. We're glad our convenient location, clean accommodations, and complimentary breakfast selection met your satisfaction. We sincerely apologize for any miscommunication regarding the shuttle service as our hotel does not offer complimentary transportation. The shuttle service is provided by an outside vendor that charges $10 each way to the MetLife Stadium. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us, and we hope you'll visit us again soon. Thank you again for writing.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

THE BAD:booked this hotel 2 weeks prior to our overnight trip to NY. Needed a 2 bedroom as we were traveling with 3 teens. I knew we'd be arriving late after a full day in NYC so I made a point to call the hotel directly around noon to tell them we would be late and to hold our room. I was assured we'd have our reservation.
Arrived to the hotel around 8:30PM (not late really) and the 5 of us walk in to register. I was greeted by a friendly enough front desk attendant and he looked us and up said that, regretfully, the hotel overbooked the rooms and the person in our 2 bedroom unit decided to stay an extra night and our room wasn't available. He said he could give us 2 adjoining 1 BR rooms. i told him, look I'm traveling with minors. He looked at me and says "isn't any of them 18?" I then thought a moment and said, yes, pointed to my son and said yes, he is. So it was a done deal. BUT, if i wanted my 18yr old son, 16yr old daughter and her 16 yr old friend to have their own room i would have booked separate rooms and closer to the city! For me, i did not want my 3 kids from the suburbs in their own rooms in the middle of NJ.
The next morning we all get up and get ready to take off, go down for breakfast and see the breakfast room is overflowing with people, a good amount of them standing around waiting for a table and others just giving up and walking out. I went up to reception to ask if there were alternative areas we could sit to eat and she made a call, got a NO from someone and made her way in to the dining area to look for a table. I told her there were others waiting and we were a family of 5. She asked a couple at double table if she could split the table and give it to us. They graciously agreed. I saw what she was doing, she was getting us a table to 2. I held up my hands and showed we were 5 (again) she then proceeded to get 5 chairs and stick them around a table that would only fit 2 people. I just shook my head and was quite frustrated as were many others. i sat at the table to hold it while the rest of the gang got food. Luckily for us a family next to me was just finishing up and i was able to get their table for 4. I had to clean the table myself but at this point i was not surprised. the breakfast table bus people were pretty busy. Once i got my emotions calmed down i was OK, we had a decent breakfast and i have no complaints about the food.
THE GOOD: the rooms were awesome, extremely clean. it was well supplied with what you'd need to run a kitchen. The bed was awesome as well. really a great, great room.
The breakfast experience with over crowding was pretty bad, but quality and selection of food was pretty good.
My opinion, they should not have given our room away, especially after my calling to confirm I would be arriving in the evening, heck, what if my kids were a year or two younger? I wanted a 2 BR not 2 singles. that was handled poorly as was the breakfast overcrowding.
My guess is this is not the norm but more the exception, it is holiday season and those stinkin' Jets were playing that day so maybe folks drive in for the games and stay the night.
Great hotel, sure was, but don't bounce people and make arrangements for overflow dining when obviously needed at certain times.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank aloiii
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn East Rutherford Meadowlands, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2014

aloiii,
Thank you for writing and bringing your concerns to my attention. I sincerely apologize that we were unable to accommodate your room request and I'm sorry for any inconveniences you experienced during breakfast service. Please know your satisfaction is our highest priority and improvements will be made to ensure all of our guests have a rewarding experience. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay otherwise and found our clean, spacious, and comfortable accommodations to meet your satisfaction. We value your business and we hope you'll consider staying with us again in the future. Thank you once again for writing.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

We wanted to stay outside NYC so we chose this hotel. We were very pleased with the hotel. There was a nice gym and a nice pool at the hotel. The stuff was very friendly and the breakfast was good. The size of the room was perfect for us. We had a small kitchen in the room. Just around the corner there is a bus stop that will take you to NYC. It takes about 20 minutes into Manhattan.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mimmie H
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn East Rutherford Meadowlands, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Mimmie H,
We appreciate you choosing to stay with us at Residence Inn East Rutherford while traveling to NYC, and we thank you for sharing your experience. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and found our accommodations, service, and location perfectly suited for your travels. Please plan to visit us again soon. Thank you again for writing.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

We stayed at the hotel with our family during thanksgiving weekend. The staff were extremely nice. Very good genuine service. We could see that the staffs were doing their work with full dedication and not for the sake of it. Had a complimentary dinner on Thanksgiving Day and their breakfast had variety of things. Very convenient location. Took the bus in front of the hotel and within 10-15 minutes we were in the middle of Newyork City,(Port authority, 2 blocks from Times Square). Their staffs were excellent especially Sumalee who works during the breakfast and dinner. She was very helpful when our twin toddlers were running around during the breakfast and dinner. We'll stay here if we go back to NY/NJ area

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank momofAnA

momofAnA,
We're happy to have had you and your family as our guests over Thanksgiving weekend, and we're pleased to hear that our staff's excellence in service made for an enjoyable stay. We have a special team of dedicated associates that make sincere hospitality their priority. I look forward to sharing your complimentary feedback with our team, and I will be certain to recognize Sumalee with a special commendation for her outstanding service. We hope to welcome you back again soon at Residence Inn East Rutherford. Thank you once again for writing.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

This hotel is pretty much ideal for me due to the fact that I usually visit family and close friends in NJ/NY and try to check out football games at MetLife Stadium. It's close to many major arteries and it's easy to get from there to just about any major location in Northern Jersey or NYC. The staff are warm and super friendly and there is never a problem. It's even fun on game days to joust with rival fans who hang out in the lounge or are staying there and then going to catch a game. I'll keep this review short because everything good I said last year still applies. I wouldn't consider staying anywhere else except that, to avoid traffic going to JFK airport, I spend my last night in the NJ/NY area at a hotel close to the airport. Anyway, you really can't miss with this place - ample parking, clean rooms, friendly and courteous staff, nice gym and pool, great proximity to the stadium, hot and cold breakfast and special dinner nights, laundry facilities, large fridge in room along with stove, oven, microwave. I could go on and on. I've stayed in at least 20 major hotels in Northern New Jersey, NYC and Long Island and this is definitely in my top three.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JamNYCer

JamNYCer,
We appreciate your review and continued patronage with us at Residence Inn East Rutherford. I'm pleased to know we consistently deliver great service, clean accommodations, and a variety of amenities that make for an ideal stay. Please continue to make us one of your favorite hotels when visiting the area. We hope to welcome you back again soon. Thank you once again for writing.

Also consider these accommodations in or near East Rutherford
#4 of 5 in East Rutherford
Hampton Inn Carlstadt-At The Meadowlands
Holiday Inn Express Meadowlands
Renaissance Meadowlands Hotel

Been to Residence Inn East Rutherford Meadowlands? Share your experiences!