“Why can't every hotel be this economical?”

Red Roof Inn Edison
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Edison
Reviewed 3 January 2011

We always try to stay at a Red Roof because it's so reasonable, but really nice. This one is no exception. We paid in advance and I only paid $42.00, But the room was impeccably clean and the beds were comfortable. Why can't every hotel chain be this affordable? I will always look for a Red Roof when I go away. You're just throwing away your money if you stay someplace else.

Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 15 December 2010

Stayed here one night on the way from PA to MA with my dog. This Red Roof Inn ranks about average compared to all the other Red Roof Inns I have stayed at before. It is right off the exit from I-287 and is a few minutes away from the major fast food chains and shopping malls. The bathroom is very clean and the mattresses a bit soft. I brought my own pillow based on other reviewers' claims that the pillows were lumpy but they were OK. Maintenance was a bit lacking as there was a burned out overhead light in my room and the thermostat dial was illegible resulting in a chilly room (I used two blankets). The basic CRT TV's could use an upgrade to flat screens. My dog and I appreciated the huge field in front of the hotel. For the N.J. area, the rates are very reasonable for what you get - a clean room, convenient location, fairly safe area -- but don't expect the usual frills. I'd probably return to this Red Roof but wouldn't go out of my way.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank twogoldens
Reviewed 8 December 2010

This motel is conveniently based within a short drive to New York and is an excellent value considering this. The staff were great, and the location felt safe. However, one bed was filthy like it not been cleaned, and the second was cleaner but not great,, so we slept on top of several sheets. Everything else was fine. Dog friendly is a big plus.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LVannapolisvalley
Reviewed 27 November 2010

My husband and I stayed here on Thanksgiving night since we were visiting family and did not want to drive home after dinner. We brought our black lab with us.
The room was very clean and the desk clerk was nice and helpful. We enjoyed being able to travel with our dog and they were very accomodating. The hotel is in a good location and we felt safe. We will definately stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2010

I needed a reasonably priced hotel in Edison. The front door looked like someone tried to knock it down. Lots of dents inside metal door and outside. The room was clean. The wall immediately behind the door had a huge (4' high by 3' wide) spackle job to repair what had to have been a hole in the wall. The patch job wasn't bad - it wasn't sanded, nor was it painted. The Red Roof website indicated that plasma televisions were in the room. There was a standard CRT 19" tv. The free Wifi was up and down the whole time I was there.

Those, in my opinion, were somewhat small issues. Again, the room was clean and it was quiet. I am sure not all of the rooms have spackling on the walls - I just happened to be given the one that did. I would recommend it but it's unlikely that I will stay there again.

Also needed to print a document (3 pages) that I was working on. I asked the front desk if they had a printer. She told me they do not have access to the printer and only the manager has the access code. I had to drive 4 miles to visit Kinko's to print my paper. Not a business friendly hotel, at all.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Scooterpie09
Reviewed 6 August 2010

Spent a week here recently & found it to be a great value. Room was clean and everything worked properly. The staff were fantastic!! Friendly and helpful always. Highly recommend for no frills stay that's easy on the pocket book! You might want to request a room which isn't on the highway side as 287 is a busy highway.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 August 2010

I needed a pet friendly hotel which accepts large dogs in the Edison area. Last time I visited I stayed in the Extended Stay, which wasn't horrible, however I preferred not to stay there again. This time, in spite of some of the more unfavorable reviews, I stayed at the Red Roof Inn. The check in was great. The staff was knowledgeable and friendly. For a king room/pet friendly, I paid $82.00 which I felt was a great rate. I was hoping I wasn't disappointed upon entering the room. The air conditioner was already on when I entered the room. I guess being it was so hot, and they expected my check in, someone put the air conditioner on which I felt was very courteous. Major kudos for that! The room was exceptionally clean, for a smoking/pet friendly room. I was pleasantly surprised. The bed was very firm which I didn't mind and the pillows a little lumpy, which really didn't bother me or my sleeping. When I was leaving to go out and pick up my dog, I had to ask for a television remote and a privacy door sign, neither were in the room. When I went back for the evening, both the remote and the privacy sign were at the desk waiting for me. Again, friendly staff. I would have preferred an elevator instead of steps, but for the price of the room, I walked steps. I heard absolutely nothing, not even a voice outside my room. I slept well and so did my dog. The only bit of oddness was when I was walking along the balcony to take my dog down for a walk, a man standing on the balcony purposely dropped a condom wrapper. That was the only time I really had to shake my head while I was at this Red Roof Inn. I need to make a monthly trip to Staten Island so I will be staying at the Red Roof Inn, Edison. As long as they keep the rooms clean, the staff stays friendly and the place stays trouble free and quiet,, I'll be staying there every month. This Red Roof Inn exceeded my expectations for a room with a pretty low rate.

• Stayed: August 2010