“Great stay, excellent location if you have a rental car or leave / arrive at EWR”

Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Elizabeth
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bad Schonborn, Germany
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We stayed as family over Thanksgiving in the hotel. We had an excellent stay there, the rooms are nice and are renovated with new beds, large flat screen TV, etc. We had a rate incl. breakfast buffet, which was served in the restaurant. The food was okay, but honestly nothing outstanding, more a standard buffet, like I have seen at Marriott / Renaissance already a few times. The great thing for us was the location, as it is across the street of the airport, but still quite rooms, you are in the hotel / at the security within 5-10 minutes, and it is close to the former Jersey Gardens Mall and all the interstates in all directions and also the Path can be reached via the hotel bus shuttle easily.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed here last night as we'd a layover, and it was simply sensational! The hotel itself is beautiful! I wasn't sure when looking from the outside but it was really swell inside. The rooms are decorated to a really high standard and the bed is exceptionally comfortable - I had one of the best nights sleeps I've had in a very long time (I just wish I didn't have to catch a flight early am!!!!!!!!) staff are vet pleasant and the courtesy bus to/ from terminal is very efficient and fantastic service.
Overall we had a lovely stay, wish it could of been longer but would stay again with no hesitations!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Donane
Boulder, CO
Reviewed 18 January 2014

On a recent business trip, I spent the final night at the Newark Airport Renaissance Hotel and it was an excellent choice of airport hotels. The facility is older, but recently renovated and in very good shape, the staff was warm and friendly and I couldn't have asked for a better experience.

I returned my rental car to the airport facility and called the hotel front desk for directions to the hotel shuttle, the friendly lady who answered provided accurate instructions for the AirTrain stop (P4) to catch ANY hotel shuttle - this is how the EWR airport shuttles work, one pickup area for all terminals and all hotels.

After a short wait, the shuttle arrived, the driver was very friendly, loaded my suitcase and offered me a cold bottle of water from the cooler on the shuttle. The drive to the hotel was about 5 minutes and I was dropped at the front door.

Checking in was equally efficient and the front desk staff was cheerful and very hospitable.

My room was recently renovated, the entryway was done in a darker wood floor, the rest of the room was carpeted and had comfortable furniture and a standard Renaissance bed which is quite comfortable. The glass work desk was unique, comfortable and best of all came with a great Aeron desk chair, a far better quality and more comfortable desk chair than is found at most hotels!

As a Marriott platinum member, I had access to the concierge lounge. The evening service was terrific, basically a full dinner with an excellent pasta dish, a salad and an appetizer and the standard veggie and dip and cheese and crackers choices. Breakfast the next morning was equally good with eggs or egg whites, bacon, potatoes, plenty of fruit and other breakfast foods.

When ready to return to the airport, there was a short wait (the shuttle runs every 15 minutes) and off we went. One warning, the return trip to the airport takes about 10-12 minutes, it is longer than the trip from the airport to hotel, so allow a bit of extra time. The bonus on the return trip was being dropped of at the departure terminal area and not the P4 pickup area.

Next time I'm in Newark and need a hotel at the airport I won't look anywhere else, the Renaissance is close, well maintained, clean and friendly.

One other note, the whole airport area is not the best part of Newark and the hotel parking lot is ringed by a tall security fence with a guard at the entry gate, this provides a feeling of safety and security for this neighborhood and I had no concerns about safety in the hotel.

Room Tip: I like high floors and you get a good view of airport operations from the top floors facing the fiel...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

Having always stayed at the airport marriott i changed to this hotel following the terrible renovations and fall off in quality at the marriott. Not a long drive from the airport. Very comfortable clean room and excellent service in the classy and cosy bar. Tasty food and good selection of drinks. This hotel has won me over. I've booked to stay there again at the end of january when next in newark.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Duncan M
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Stayed for two nights with the family during a forced layover. I could smell it come (weather) so I booked a hotel. Chose the Renaissance over the Marriott based on the website.

The site states "Airport shuttle service, on request, complimentary". When I called to get the shuttle from EWR, the first time, I got put on hold then hung-up on. The second time, upon insisting, I was told that the "upon request complimentary shuttle" was only for airline crews and that I would have to take a train then wait for the shuttle. This is misleading (had I known I would have picked another hotel as the 1.5 mile cab ride was $30 with the luggage and all).

Rooms were fine. Bathrooms a little run down. Service was OK and the restaurant/bar was actually really nice. I requested a quote for transportation across town and was quoted a town car 'all-inclusive, gratuity as well'. The chauffeur (company owner) insisted that tip was not. I gave her $10 to make her go away but Marriott should pay more attention to the businesses they partner with as such practices do not reflect well on them.

Finally, I visited the pool. Water was nice and warm but the temperature by the pool area was fridgid. Didn't stay there much. Has red eyes for two days after my 1h swim. Not sure why. The gym was small but in good working order.

Given that I'm a lifetime gold with Marriott and currently platinum, I would only recommend this hotel with some reservations.

Room Tip: high floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Frederic V
Texas
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Had to do a layover at EWR for an international flight, and this hotel was so accommodating. I will definitely use it again when I have to do this.

Hotel was nice, recently renovated and extremely modern. It was only a few minutes from the airport and the shuttle ran every half hour.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank mikni2wri
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

I will never stay at any other hotel again when I am trapped in EWR. The hotel has a wonderful bar/restaurant and the rooms are very cozy. After being stuck and trapped in cancelations for my flights, this stay was my highlight. Friendly, professional service, great shuttle service and over all a relief to stressful days. Thank you

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabeth
Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,624 reviews
Holiday Inn Newark Airport
SpringHill Suites Newark Liberty International Airport
Embassy Suites by Hilton Newark Airport

Been to Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!