“Convenient location - average room - great restaurant”

Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Elizabeth
GreenLeadersSilver level
Claremont, California
“Convenient location - average room - great restaurant”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

As noted by the title of my review, this hotel is an a very convenient location next to the Newark airport, and I chose it for that reason. It took about 4 minutes to get to the hotel, and when we walked in, we were greeted by a very friendly staff. They were great.

Pros
-Location: Once again, the location is very convenient.
-Restaurant: Very good restaurant, in fact, I was quite surprised how good the food was. The atmosphere was also great and lively. Very impressed.
-Gym: Although slightly small, it had the basic workout machines (elliptical, treadmills, free weights, etc).

Cons
-Although it appears that this location has tried to do some room renovations, there are still some signs of a worn out room (loose bathroom fixtures, mold in the caulking, little counter space).
-Very thin doors. I essentially heard hair dryers, showers, toilets and TV's simply by walking down the hallway. And at night, heard everyone going into their room as well.
-Housekeeping - not sure why, but my toothpaste, floss were gone when I returned to my room in the evening, and they forgot to give me any shampoo or soap.

Overall - I probably would not stay here again based on the issue of noise from the very thin doors, but once again, the staff and restaurant were excellent.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Monika V, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Thank you for your review. I am so happy to hear we were able to provide such a wonderful service experience. We have also shared your feedback with our Housekeeping and Engineering teams so we can continue to work to provide our guests with a wonderful product. if you do decide to visit us in the future, please feel free to reach out to us in advance so we can ensure you have a better experience with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sunrise, Florida
Reviewed 31 March 2014

March is supposed to be springtime and we took 200 Atlanta area high school students and chaperones on a 4 day bus trip to NYC, basing our operation at the Renaissance. The property was above and beyond our expectations. Absolutely everything was handled with ease and a huge feeling of relief was shared by our trip organizers. Comfortable, spacious rooms and amenities, with a quiet, restful ambiance throughout the facility. Check in for our herd was quick and easy; room keys were sorted out ahead of our arrival and ready to go. A very special shout out and appreciative thank you to the Renaissance team that accommodated us so well; Restaurant Manager Frances, Event Organizer/Handler Tami, our excellent Front Desk Clerk Tiffany and the one that keeps all the pieces of the puzzle together, Branch Manager Ms. Monika. Comfort was a given and hospitality was at its best. Kudos all around from the entire group and for making our stay extra special.

Room Tip: Room location should not be a problem; well laid out floor plan.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank William H
Thanks for your wonderful review! We hope your group enjoyed your time here in the NJ/NY area!!! It was a pleasure having you stay with us.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Very nicely appointed; I was in a recently renovated king-bedded room; rooms are clean and modern; Lobby restaurant is good; Free shuttle to airport; Front desk personal very helpful and educated on subject matter.

1 Thank J M
Maryland
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Very nicely appointed; I was in a recently renovated king-bedded room. Lobby restaurant is good; had crabcake appetizer for lunch. Free shuttle runs from AirTrain stop at airport. (Hotel manager personally responded to an inquiry I sent to the main Marriott reservations address about how to get there from the airport--nice touch.) The flight crew (ex-Continental, now United) from my flight from Tokyo stayed at the same hotel and said it was the best place to stay in the area. While I liked my room, the public spaces weren't really my style and the freight-like elevators far from the main lobby left a less polished impression for an otherwise nicely renovated hotel. Excellent toiletries by Thann. Good breakfast in the concierge lounge.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank FanofTA
S Wales
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Stayed one night for $129 + tax (=$152) during a layover.

Shuttle bus worked well. Wifi worked well. Hotel was comfortable. Didn't use anything else - got in at 10:00pm and left at 8:00am.

Fine choice for a layover.

Billings, Montana
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

We stay here several times a month as crew and the hotel consitently provides great service to us. The rooms are clean and modern, the food in the restaurant is very good and the employees are almost always very friendly.
Shuttle service is promt (every 15 min) and the hotel is less than 5 minutes from the EWR airport.
Try the Ironbound Salad with duck breast in the restaurant. It's GREAT!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Monika V, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Thanks for the review! So happy you enjoyed your stay with us and we are looking forward to having you back with us soon. Safe travels!
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I showed up at 11:55pm, checked in, asked about food and they told me I had two minutes to order at their bar. I figured when I asked the bartender about food, he would tell me that the grill had been turned off an hour earlier. To my surprise, they made me a great dinner that was hot and fresh. Kudos Renaissance for your high quality customer service. I then awoke at 4am for a early flight out and as promised their shuttle was up and running every 15 minutes. Exactly how every hotel should run.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your wonderful review! I am so happy to hear that the staff took such great care of you during your short stay with us. We hope your next trip to the Newark Area brings you back to our hotel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabeth
Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott
Hilton Newark Airport
Hilton Newark Airport
#3 of 14 in Elizabeth
Hampton Inn Newark-Airport
Holiday Inn Newark Airport
Wyndham Garden Newark Airport
SpringHill Suites Newark Liberty International Airport

Been to Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!