“Nice Hotel, Great Value”

Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Elizabeth
GreenLeadersSilver level
Auburn, PA
“Nice Hotel, Great Value”
Reviewed 26 June 2010

My family and I stayed at the hotel the night before our flight. I had requested a room facing the airport to watch the planes land and take off, on a high floor. They were able to accomodate my request when we arrived. The room was very nice, clean, bed comfortable, and quiet. The gym was nice, not huge, but only one other person in there while I was there. Pool was nice, fairly large for an indoor pool, and the kids enjoyed it. Checkout was a breeze. The hotel had a stay and park promotion, so we were able to stay the night and leave our car for 6 days. Cost was around $135, including parking, which is not bad at all. Pleasant people at the hotel lobby as well as the shuttle drivers. Picked us up within 15 minutes of calling from the airport. Definitely will stay there again when flying out of Newark.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank PAJAY

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New Delhi
Reviewed 16 June 2010

I had to stay over at Newark for a day as I missed a connecting flight & our next flight was scheduled after 24 hours, Having had great experience with Renaissance Kuala Lumpur, I thought of staying at Renaissance Newark, but... OH MY GOD.. I made the biggest mistake of my life, Here's why - I have lots of points:

1. When I called for reservation from the airport through automatic reservation counters, I was given a room for about USD 180 which included buffet, free LD, local calls within the US & high speed internet, the agent told us we can check out by 5 PM at no additional charge just because we are making a distress reservation & had a flight 24 hrs later

2. We reach the hotel at 12:30 AM on 6/14, are greeted very well by the lady at front office (I am still in my Renaissance KL mood).. The lady at the reception told us that she was sorry, she cannot have us check out at 5 even though our flight was at 8:30 PM, the latest she can do for us is 3 PM, We were okay that she did that especially for us - I got Room# 734... Nevertheless here's more:

3. About an hour later from the time I checked in, I went down & asked the front office about a problem I was facing with the internet connection - Her response - Sir - I told you how to connect but you did not listen, a total 360 degree turn from how she behaved when we entered.. Having a feeling of both embarassment & anger i said - 'I am sorry, I might not have heard cos I am very tired'... Honestly she did not say a word about Intenet.. even if she did, she needs to say it again... thats what she's paid for.. BEING POLITE

4. The hotel room's phone was faulty, On dialing the number once it dialed the number multiple times on different lines making multiple calls for the room guest (good way to earn money, but sorry - they forgot what package they had given me :-)

5. The elevators are humid & stink, carpets within the elevators & outside are DIRTY, the security access of putting in your room key to go the desired floor is faulty, you need to enter the key in the slot aleast 10-15 times before you are able to press your floor button

5. We got up early to try the 'FREE' buffet which was in ONE word 'horrible', no choice but had to eat it as we had no other option, the only good thing was a half smile which 1 of the only 2 waiters gave me when he got me ketchup

5. Time to check out - Room charge bill was dropped in our rooms early morning which was USD 180 as promised/agreed for a hotel not worth USD 50, Anyways - We arrived at the front desk to check out where we got a 'Thank you' from the front office staff... they said they'll charge my card with the charges which should I assumed should be just the USD 180 odd, My colleague asked to me take the final bill just to be sure that they charge the right amount & GUESS WHAT they gave me a bill worth USD 387 with about '3' pages of charges for local & LD calls I DID NOT MAKE, Even if I did the charges should not have been there because of my package which included all of this (remember), I tried explaining this to the gent at front office who (I guess was Spanish) did not completely understand my room package

6. I stated in shock that I never made those calls & that the staff can call the numbers on my bill & check who did, the lady at the front desk standing behind the spanish guy said in an extremely rude & unprofessional tone said "Sir - The calls are their on your bill cos you made them & we don't need to call and check"

Finally a less rude front office lady entered the front desk & checked our room package by which she was able to remove the phone charges but did not believe me that I did NOT make those calls, May be it's a trick to earn money from guests who do not have a package or their phones are just programmed to make multiple calls

None of their staff - Front office or Restaurant smiles? Looks like they are being paid to be rude (Rudeness starts right After you CHECK IN).... till you check out!!

PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL, I WISH I HAD CHOSEN SOMETHING BETTER IF NOT THE BEST

• Liked — proximity to Newark Airport
  • Disliked — Everything - they dont deserve to run a name like Renaissance, the place is one of thw worst I've ever stayed
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed 10 June 2010

we received very good service at this hotel. As we are Marriott gold members, we got upgraded to a beautiful suite, very large- all one room but a nice couch, 2 chairs & wet bar. Rooms had a high Def TV but the hotel hasn't been completely upgraded yet- we were told the upgrade was going to start soon. This hotel was not a Renaissance originally so it was not built to Marriott specifications. The reviewer who said there was no "free" TV was absolutely incorrect- yes you do have to pay for premium new releases but there was plenty of other channels to watch.

Pros:
restaurant was very good although $14 was a little pricey for a burger- around $4 more than usual full service Marriott's

concierge lounge nice with a great view of the Manhattan skyline

good close access to the airport yet not in the flight path so one doesn't hear the planes overhead. shuttle bus (free to guests) runs every 20 minutes

good security as hotel is definitely in an "iffy" neighborhood

rooms were good although they could use an upgrade as they had not received a total remodel yet

gym had new equipment

very good front desk & concierge lounge service

the general manager came to the concierge lounge while we were there & made a point to speak with all the guests- very good as we rarely see a GM do this & I think it really does make a big difference

easy access to NYC. The cheap way to do this is: take the shuttle to the airport, the #62 bus to Penn station Newark (hint: there is a Penn Station NY also so make sure you know which one you want) & than the PATH into NYC- total cost around $3 pp each way. NJ transit will be a LOT more money. Take mass transit. Note: I would NOT take the bus late at night but it was fine during rush hour & the day time. Total time to Wall St from the hotel - around 2 hours. Trust me with this advice as I am a native New Yorker - do NOT take your car to park at Penn Station Newark! It is NOT safe to park around there. Take mass transit.

cons
NOT in a good section but than again (I am from the NY area so know this) Newark is not a "desirable" area.

nothing within walking distance to the hotel & no other restaurants close by

parking is a steep $14 per day. No nearby street parking & I would not park on the street due to safety issues.

internet a steep $13 per day- also a charge in the business center but free in the concierge lounge

our bill was incorrect - the first time I have ever seen this in a long time. The charged us for an extra day parking & also for the internet when gold members get this for free. They did remove the charges from the bill though when we complained.

For the price we paid & the service we received, we would recommend this hotel & would stay again. We did not see any evidence of bedbugs that some other reviewers complained about. But please note- a LOT of Manhattan hotels- including some very expensive ones- have a bedbug problem!

hotel easy to "see" but driving is difficult to get to it. We got lost even with a GPS! It's just a confusing area as it's on a service road to Rt 1 & 9. It's always been that way so get good directions from the hotel & note it's on a service road parallel to Rt 1 & 9.

Michigan
Reviewed 8 June 2010

Stayed here for a seminar. The hotel is located right by Newark airport. Great if you're travelling. Not a safe area, kinda ghetto. There's a security guard at the entrance to keep out 'unwanted' guests.

Check in was quick and easy. Everyone was really nice and helpful. The room was great. Clean, super comfy bed, big flatscreen tv, lots of extra room to move around. The bathroom was clean, shower was hot, strong water pressure. Theres a $12.95 internet fee per day.

The restaurant claimed to serve breakfast till 11:30. We got down there at 10:45a and they said they were only serving a lunch buffet for $20 and breakfast wasnt available that day. Who wants a lunch buffet at 10:45a on a Sunday. We ate the buffet on Friday and it wasnt worth the $20 so we had to go offsite and eat. Its not the best area to be going to eat. I suggest roomservice or calling downstairs first.

Aside from that, I would definitly stay here again if we're in the area. There's a free shuttle that will take you to and from the airport so you can catch the train into NYC for $30 roundtrip. The shuttle runs every 20 min.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 5 June 2010

The location is very convenient if you're looking for a place to stay close to EWR. The free shuttle is great as well. It comes fairly often and the driver was very polite and helpful. Unfortunately, my room had bedbugs that ate me alive during the night. Woke up with huge welts all over. I was only staying for one night, so wasn't able to benefit from a room upgrade - no idea whether they would have offered one. When I called to complain a few days later, I was told someone would inspect the room and get back to me, but I never heard back. I got the room for like 65 bucks on Priceline, so I guess you get what you pay for? Oh, also, no free internet and no free TV. You couldn't even watch regular network TV. You had to pay per program. I think it was like $4 to watch a show that aired that week on NBC. Insane. Overall, I would say if you're seriously strapped for cash and don't mind risking a few bedbug bites, go for it. Otherwise, stay away.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank g0blue10
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 31 May 2010

I booked the Renaissance through Priceline at a very favorable rate. Directions posted on their website were precise and easy to follow, which was particularly helpful given the traffic and maze of roadways. Staff were welcoming and efficient. Room was spacious and quite comfortable. Large LCD TV was great. I was dismayed to discover that the trays that lined the 7th floor hallway when I checked in that afternoon were still in place the next morning. Unfortunately, some surrounding guests were inconsiderate when leaving for early morning flights - too noisy. Parking at hotel is not free. Overall, a favorable stay.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Chennai India
Reviewed 20 May 2010

This hotel is really a good place to choose in New Jersey. Visited Just once. Service is just average. Parking is available and free. Internet connection is not free in rooms and just free in hall. The ambience is good. The rooms are really big. It is quite an expensive hotel. I got this in a deal for 50 USD/day. Otherwise the hotel is too expensive for the comfort.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabeth
Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott
Hilton Newark Airport
Hilton Newark Airport
#3 of 14 in Elizabeth
Hampton Inn Newark-Airport
Holiday Inn Newark Airport
Wyndham Garden Newark Airport
SpringHill Suites Newark Liberty International Airport

Been to Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!