“Two Rotten Apples Spoil The Whole Bunch”

Residence Inn Newark Elizabeth/Liberty International Airport
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Elizabeth
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I stayed in the hotel for 3 months and while the staff and housekeeping are generally nice...I had a TERRIBLE encounter with Matt [--] (the Asst GM) and Jesse [--] (front desk clerk). Matt and Jesse are two of the rudest people I've ever met in my life. Not only did Matt threaten to EVICT me for a 3 DAY past due bill (after the almost 9K I paid in 3 mths!), but Jesse attempted to illegally detain me (and my dog!) in the lobby while BULLYING me to pay the bill.
Not only did Matt and Jesse tell me I was a liar, but also stated I NEVER HAVE PAY MY BILLS. They berated me, belittled me until I cried. Matt also MADE FUN OF ME for having the flu...asked me if I'd like a "complaint form" to reference my flu. No thanks Matt, that's what TripAdvisor is for:).

I will never stay at Residence Inn again and I do not recommend this hotel as long as Matt and Jesse are employed at this location.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank BabyButta
rajesh p, General Manager at Residence Inn Newark Elizabeth/Liberty International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

I would like to thank you and your family for your recent stay with at the Residence Inn Elizabeth. I was made aware of the issue you had with our hotel team members. I personally called and spoke to the your guest and did apologize on behalf of my staff and hotel for their behavior and worked with Marriott Customer Care team to resolve the issue on hand. As courtesy, we both agreed on resolve the issue by offering one complimentary night.

We take pride in service we provide to each and every guest and do hope you will give us opportunity to comeback and stay with us. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if there is anything I can do for you.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

We stayed for a week. The room was very clean and well designed. The full kitchen made it much easier to travel with a child. The indoor pool was well maintained. The breakfast buffet was well done, all the food was fresh, not old and tired, with options for any diet.
The staff was very helpful, willing to give us tips about the NJT and local favorite restaurants.
They also have grocery delivery and laundry service, should you need either.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Ashleigh M
rajesh p, General Manager at Residence Inn Newark Elizabeth/Liberty International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review Residence Inn Elizabeth on Trip Advisor. We truly appreciate you kind comments regarding your stay, particularly with regards to our staff’s dedication and the quality of our guest rooms. We truly look forward to an opportunity to take care of your needs once again during your next visit San Antonio. Thank you for choosing Marriott.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

We spent 3 nights here and it is located very close to the Newark airport. There is an outlet mall an IHOP and a Ruby Tuesdays very nearby. The Studios have a full kitchen which was unexpected. The ceilings still have popcorn on them so it is dated but clean. The problem we had was with blankets. Our son was on the sofa pullout and the one blanket provided wasn't enough. We called the front desk and asked for 2 blankets and only received one. When we called again we were told that all the blankets were being washed and they didn't have one. They told us to turn up the heat in our room. Well, we don't sleep with the heat on because then it's to stuffy and we can't sleep. So my son did not sleep well. I expected another blanket to be in our room but when we returned to the hotel the next day, nothing. We went to the front desk and we were told that the hotel was sold out and all the blankets were gone and again we were told to turn up the heat. We explained that this wasn't acceptable and I suggested they call the Courtyard next door to see about getting blankets, they were out as well. So, the person at the front desk asked someone to check if they had any rollaway's and if so to bring up the blanket from there. Well that worked and they brought the whole rollaway, which we sent back minus the comforter. Also, we were not informed that the hotel provides breakfast until I noticed a breakfast room on the last night. The next morning they had quite a spread and it was wonderful. I wish we had known from the beginning. I suggest the hotel buys more blankets for the future. There is nothing like being cold and not being able to sleep.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank rmsanch
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Here for a week, roomy, clean with full kitchen. Breakfast included and good selections. Not the biggest gym, but okay for a quick cardio workout. However, don't buy any of the snacks after that workout from the lobby. A candy bar was $3, and it wasn't king size. The staff was very friendly and helpful with getting around. But this is not the place to stay if you plan on visiting NY city everyday. It's a $13 toll fee to enter into NY. Better hotel than New York by far, but need to consider the travel expense and time.

Room Tip: Not ideal if visiting New York only because of the tolls.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dee K
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I wanted a place near the airport for 5 hours and chose this property. Its a great place but obviously the location is not one of the best. Its a bit out of the way from the airport , like 2-3 miles away. There is nothing next to it in terms of restaurants or shops. The area is an industrial one. There is a large outlet mall but not in walking distance. The property is a large one and you can be picked up by hotel shuttle from the airport parking lot. Check in was swift and I was upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite. The suite was the usual newer types of Residence Inn rooms and had 2 rooms with a queen bed in each room .There were 2 separate bathrooms and a small living room with a sofa bed. The hotel served my purpose by providing me a comfortable place for resting for 5 hours

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We stayed here last Saturday night, for a couple reasons. One was the fact that my wife had an 8am Global Entry interview at Newark airport. The other was that I had an expiring free night at a category 1-4 hotel, and there aren't very many category 1-4 hotels close to where we live. So we decided to make a night of it, and took my 2 year old along.

Pluses:

- Shuttle every 1/2 hour to Newark
- Small but nice indoor pool, which my daughter loved
- Nice gym
- Security paroling the parking lot - very important in the Elizabeth/Newark area
- All rooms are 1 bedroom+, so there was a lot of room for our family
- Friendly night attendants
- Walking distance to Jersey Gardens, a large indoor outlet mall
- Free breakfast
- Nice outdoor area with grill (didn't take advantage since it's already October, but looks like it would be nice to use in Summer)

Minuses:

- $14 parking charge
- Room could use a little updating. Fridge and microwave looked kinda old, and since they were white, they didn't really fit with the decor of the room. Shower area also was showing it's age, and should be updated.
- Shuttle from Newark Airport back to hotel didn't show up, so my wife had to wait a 1/2 hour extra for the next one
- No double beds in any rooms. This made it difficult for us since my daughter wanted to sleep in a big bed, so I ended up sleeping on a roll-away.

All in all and for what I expected of a Newark/Elizabeth hotel, I was pleasantly surprised. Good location, pleasant people, I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank yoshapman
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

I love this hotel. My room is awesome. It's like an apartment. I have a full kitchen. There is laundry facilities here. There is a gym. It's walking distance to an IHOP and Ruby Tuesday. It is walking distance to Jersey Gardens Mall. There is a shuttle to and from the airport which runs every half hour and that's 24 hours a day. It's very clean. The continental breakfast is great! Today there was dinner for the people staying here. It was Italian night. I will stay here again if I ever need to. It's really great and the rates are very reasonable

• Stayed: October 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabeth
Embassy Suites by Hilton Newark Airport
Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel
2 mi away
Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott
Hampton Inn Newark-Airport

Been to Residence Inn Newark Elizabeth/Liberty International Airport? Share your experiences!