Residence Inn Newark Elizabeth/Liberty International Airport
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Elizabeth
Reviewed 8 November 2009

I stayed for one night to be closer to the airport for an early flight after a few days of business in NYC. I must have had a renovated room, which I found to be welcoming and comfortable, with a warm, modern decorating style. Staff were helpful and efficient, at check-in and check-out. The airport shuttle ran on time for my early morning departure. I bought a couple of packaged food items in the lobby and was able to prepare a reasonable meal in the well equipped kitchen. I actually found myself wishing I could stay a day or two to relax in the lovely, quiet suite.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank TravelingMomMidwest

Reviewed 4 November 2009

I stayed here four nights based on the reviews here. The hotel is fine but there isn't anything special about it.

The staff is sometimes better than average and sometimes much worse. I got great counsel on getting to NYC but also had times where the front desk phone rang 20 times without being answered. Some of the staff people consistently complained about working consecutive double shifts, which can never be good.

From a Newark perspective, the cab fare here is $28 plus tip rather than $15 plus tip to/from the airport which is a big deal.

The free shuttle to the airport is nice but only comes every 30 minutes so if you time things wrong you are waiting for what seems to be forever.

My 1 BR unit was clean as you would expect from a newer hotel. The bed was okay but not good. The free food for breakfast and dinner was a nice bonus but of mediocre quality. TV channels were inadequate - either for a family (not many kid channels) or a business traveler (no Fox News or Fox Business which are really important to me).

Internet access is free but painfully slow.

I will probably never stay here again and so would not recommend to a friend either but I'm sure it would be fine for some uses.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank keatingfamily
Reviewed 8 October 2009

I was impressed by the service levels and the place itself.
They were renovating quite a few rooms but I did never feel like I was out of the place.

Great breakfast and outstanding service, not to mention the complementary drinks in the evenings.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2009

The hotel was wonderful. The rooms were clean, the staff was extremely kind and helpful, and the breakfast was tasty. The pool was very nice, also. We stayed here for five days and I could not havebeen more pleased. The only mishap was an alarm clock that kept going off in the next suites at 5:00 am. Initially, I thought no one was inthe room andthe clock's alarm was left in the "on" position. I called the front desk and they informed me that there was someon in the room. He or she just did not see fit to cut off the alarm. Strange, I know. Anyway, when we received our bill, we discovered that a full night had been deleted. That was totally unexpected, but much appreciated. Also, wireless internet would be a good addition to the hotel amenities. Currently, one has to hook up a laptop to an ethernet cable. It's free, though. Any time I am in the Newrk/New York area, I will stay here. The hotel is a bit out of the way (kind of in the middle of nowhere), but they really know how to treat their guests.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2009

Our room was huge! It had its own living room and TV, almost full kitchen - dishwasher included. The staff was good and there was shuttle service to and from the hotel. We had to book this place last minute, when plans with a friend fell through. The staff was very accomodating and let us arrive really early after having been on the AmTrak forever.

The real problem is that it is so far away from anything. Our intention had been to be around the nyc area, but it took an hour and some change just to arrive in Newark throuh public transportation, and a full 2 + hours to get into nyc. Most car services or taxis couldn't even find the place without GPS and without charging us some sort of surcharge for the amount of travel. We ended up having to relocate, the hassle was just too much.

I cannot really recommend this place to anyone except of you are trying to stay in the area.

• Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed 17 February 2009

I have stayed at many of the Newark area hotels. The Residence Inn is, by far, the nicest of them all. First, it has free parking, second: the rooms are very large, clean, and have a full kitchen, third, it's across from the Jersey Gardens mall, and fourth, there's free internet.

Many times, the more stars a hotel has the more they try to nickel and dime you. Extra cost for internet, parking, etc. In the case of the Residence Inn, it's a pleasure to walk into a hotel that is IMMACULATE inside and the rooms appear to have been updated very recently. There is a full kitchen in the suite and they will do your grocery shopping for you during the day while you're out (i didn't use this service but saw it written up in their brochure).

From the pictures on Tripadvisor it's possible that some of the rooms have been updated b/c my room was a lot nicer than the travellers pics I see posted on the web.

The front desk staff was helpful and friendly. There's a pool and very basic fitness center in the hotel. I also used their free computer to check my email and print my boarding pass prior to my flight. A shuttle operates every 30 minutes to the airport and drops you off at your terminal (as opposed to taking you to P4 and having to take the monorail).

I stayed on the 5th floor and loved this hotel. HIGHLY recommended.

Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Hotel_Sam
Reviewed 10 December 2008

I stayed at this hotel repeatedly last spring (2008) until I could no longer take the noise. They book a lot of tour groups, mostly young (teens and pre-teens). Often the rooms had no adults in them and the parties became quite loud. It became so bad, the hotel keep police officers on the premises.

After a particularly bad stay, I was promised a quiet room for my next visit (3 days later). But, the person making the promise never followed through and again I was stuck next across from a group of unsupervised teens. One of the other guests called the police on these teens and an officer had to spend 15 minutes arguing in the hall with one of the teens.

I will never stay here again.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabeth
Embassy Suites by Hilton Newark Airport
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark Airport
Courtyard Newark Elizabeth
Courtyard Newark Elizabeth
#6 of 14 in Elizabeth
Extended Stay America - Elizabeth - Newark Airport
Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott
Hampton Inn Newark-Airport

Been to Residence Inn Newark Elizabeth/Liberty International Airport? Share your experiences!