“Way Below Average”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Hollywood, Florida
“Way Below Average”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel because we have had wonderful experiences on several occasions at the CI&S in Redlands CA. Unfortunately, our stay here was not as expected based on our prior experiences. We did not need our room serviced on 3 of our days so we just traded towels , etc. for clean ones and got the needed supplies from the housekeeping attendant. However, after the third day when we did need the room cleaned, it was done very poorly. Was not vacuumed, coffee still in the carafe and not cleaned out, or dusted, etc. Also, the room that was listed on our reservation was not what we got and the hotel manager was not able to move us to the correct renovated room or adjust the rate, but did give us extra Carlson points. They need to get their renovations done quickly as this property is old and run down. I did not know they were privately owned and operated and I guess I will do more homework in the future and not just stay in one of their properties because of our CC Membership. The TV cable reception was horrible and the safe did not work. So many things to complain about and then you have maintenance up here trying to fix it all. Just not worth it... Sorry, but we were pretty disappointed about this one. Hope they get it together.

Room Tip: I guess, call to make sure you are getting what you are actually seeing on your online reservation...
Green Features: Fine with me. I can sleep on the same sheets for 3 nights to conserve water, not a big deal. I am myself an environmentally conscious person so I value that.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank bforcucci
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark Airport, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
We apologize you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time share your experience. Your comments are valued, and your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Thank you Patrick! I incorrectly booked one day ahead, but Patrick quickly sorted out my mistake. He upgraded our room, scheduled our morning shuttle and wake up call all with a smile. Our room was large, quiet, and clean, especially the bathroom...spotless! If only there was a spa robe. Breakfast was perfect...I loved the self serve Belgium waffle station with real whipped cream and strawberries, fresh fruit, cereal, juice, and more...even cups with lids for transport. Our shuttle was ready to leave at our appointed time, even though the van wasn't full. Our driver was very personable and dropped us at our terminal. We took advantage of the $10 parking in a secure lot at the hotel. We did have an incorrect charge on our bill but resolved it without any difficulty. There is even a restaurant next door. I have stayed at different airport properties without satisfaction. This was by far the best. After their present renovation, I'm sure it will be even better.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Lisa P, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark Airport, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear Joyce,

We appreciate you writing this review. It is so nice to hear such a wonderful review about our Hotel.
Thank you for sharing the details about your recent visit. Thank you for finding the time to share about your stay.
It is our goal to provide the best lodging experience to our valued guests. We know you have a choice when you travel and appreciate you choosing our hotel. Your comments will be shared with our staff, especially to Patrick who assisted you. We hope that you will be more satisfied on your next stay should you decide to stay with us again in the future. By that time, I guess, the renovations were already finished. Please advise us of your trip and we will be more than happy to ensure you receive the highest level of service.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 March 2014

The entire hotel needs a facelift. The rooms are old and dated, worn out. Slightly dirty but some of that could just be from being so old and beat up. Some carpets I don't mind walking on barefoot; this one I do. It is conveniently located but there are other hotels adjacent that look much nicer. The continental breakfast is free but it is bare bones. No eggs, no sausage, no bacon. Fresh fruit was a whole apple or orange. The main entree' was biscuits & gravy and country fried chicken. No thanks. I will look elsewhere on my next trip.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
CarlsonRezidor, online customer support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark Airport, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the dissatisfaction of your stay. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments so we can continually improve our services.
canada
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed here the night on Mar 15th on a park & fly reservation made through Stay 123. We arrived late and were checked in quickly. Room was clean and beds were fine although a bit soft for my liking. Breakfast was available the next morning and was not all that great. Looked like powdered eggs, tired pastries and weak coffee. Problems started when the bill was put under the door in the morning. A $25 deposit is paid when the room is booked & it is supposed to be deducted from the final balance which is wasn't. I figured that it would be fixed quickly when I told them at the front desk. It wasn't & I was told that they have lots of this type of reservation and they never do that. I showed her the clause on the website. She wouldn't even read it, told me there was nothing she could do & I could call Patrick later in the day or Lisa the manager the next day. I called Patrick at 6pm, confirmed he was there but had to leave a message. I never heard from him so I called Lisa the next morning. I have yet to hear from her either. I was able to get this fixed when I called Stay 123. While I was on the line they called the hotel and got them to credit my Visa for the deposit. All in all a complete waste of my time and judging by what I was told that this is the way they do all these reservations I wonder how many other customers don't notice or bother to take the time to get their bill corrected.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 506canuck
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark Airport, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
We appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention. We understand the inconvenience an unexpected charge can cause. Please contact Corporate Customer Care if you require additional assistance in this matter.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We spent here 1 night after landing at Newark. The hotel is dated and being renovated. The room and the bathroom were spacious. There is a microwave and a fridge as well as coffee set. The complimentary internet did not work (ethernet or wifi). Breakfast was average, your typical best western type. There is an indoor pool available. The Jersey Gardens outlet is within walking distance so you can beat the crowds.

Room Tip: all rooms are very quiet
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It is so nice to hear such a wonderful review about our Hotel. Thank you for bringing to our attention your experience and comments regarding your stay in our hotel.
We are constantly looking for ways to enhance the positive experiences of our guests and your valuable feedback will assist us to correct our deficiencies. Thank you for the opportunity to grow and improve more, we certainly hope to be of service to you again very soon. We look forward to your next visit.
Stafford, Virginia
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Our choir trip to NYC had to be extended an extra night, at late notice, due to food poisoning. This hotel was available, extremely helpful and compassionate to our group who arrived in three stages between the hours of midnight and 4am. They were flexible with extended checkouts for our group of about 80 students, teachers, and chaperones. Maid service was wonderful in that they allowed students to get the needed sleep after a harrowing night. The desk staff, specifically, Jamie, Marco, Soriah and Jassmine welcomed tired chaperones, accomodated a large amount of luggage for students and adults who arrived at different intervals--even offering water for chaperones coordinating rooms at midnight. Thank you so much for your service oriented attitudes and patience with students and adults on this occasion!

Rooms were sufficient; the free breakfast lasted until 10:30 and was continually refilled throughout the morning. There were two large student groups there overnight and did not seem to overwhelm the staff as they had enough food. Fresh fruit, cereal, some hot items, bread options, along with beverages were available.

Thank you again for such a positive ending to long and stressful night!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
We are very pleased to hear that you had a pleasant experience following your most recent visit with us. It is our goal to provide the best lodging experience to our valued guests. It is a pleasure to be of service to all of you, we truly appreciate that you had found all of our staffs helpful, flexible and compassionate.

Your comments will be shared to the desk staff, especially to Jamie, Marco, Soriah and Jassmine. They will for sure be happy and motivated to give exceptional customer service to our future guests.

Thank you for your business, we look forward to your next stay.
Ebensburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I booked my reservation online and noone where on the website they said you had to be 21 to check in. I went to check in and to remind you im 19 they refused and said I had to be 21! I called the hire ups they couldnt even find it. They wont give me my money back and I didnt even stay there! And the highest up who we talked to hung up on us! The people there are rude and ignorant I will never try and book a room there ever again!

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank amanda2895
CarlsonRezidor, online customer support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark Airport, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
We are sorry to hear of your unsatisfactory experience at our hotel. It has always been our policy that no one under 21 be allowed to check in without an adult.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabeth
Embassy Suites by Hilton Newark Airport
Courtyard Newark Elizabeth
Courtyard Newark Elizabeth
#6 of 14 in Elizabeth
Wyndham Garden Newark Airport
Hampton Inn Newark-Airport
Extended Stay America - Elizabeth - Newark Airport
Best Western Plus Newark Airport West

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark Airport? Share your experiences!